PDA

View Full Version : An Easier Way to do Power Attack

Blackfoot
July 17th, 2016, 06:28
Now those of us who use effects regularly and have characters with Power Attack + primary, 2 handed, and secondary weapons know how much of a pain it is to juggle those effects. So I did a bit of experimenting with it and it came to me that PA is really just a bonus to STR as far as damage goes. It basically mimics the effects of strength.. so why not just apply the damage portion of power attack as strength? Sure, it'll screw up your attack rolls if you build it all together.. but here's my solution..

PA;ATK:-1 melee
set to 'all' with a 1 round duration...
PLUS before you make your damage rolls.. you click this (you can make it a hotkey):
PA Damage;STR:4
set to 'roll'

The result is.. the damage auto calculates to be correct for the type of strength your weapon (x0.5/x1.0/x1.5) is set to... so boom it's right.
Try it out.

Blackfoot
July 17th, 2016, 06:35
Still thinking about it... what if you do:
Power Attack;ATK:-3 melee;STR:4
then you don't have to keep adding effects... and the results are correct.. hmm cool.

Blackfoot
July 18th, 2016, 23:04
It was suggested that an addition should be added to keep CMD from getting messed up by Power Attack:
Power Attack;ATK:-3;STR:4;CMD:-2

Seems to resolve those issues. It WILL mess up Ability and Skill checks.. but are you really making those while Power Attacking? This is a really great solution if you have a variety of weapons and attacks .. particularly if you make primary and secondary attacks in the same round. (x0.5/x1/x1.5) If you don't do that kinda thing.. well you might be best off just building an extra weapon... if it's just one. I know my Two-Weapon Fighter had to juggle all sorts of issues (tons of extra weapons built onto his sheet) this cut it down a LOT.