PDA

View Full Version : DnD5e Encounter Map Problem

Xydonus
July 16th, 2016, 01:22
So had this problem tonight running an encounter, here's the gist:

I had setup an encounter using FG's built-in encounter function via dnd5e. What this means is that I had built up my encounter, and placed the tokens on the map, and subsequently removed them after closing the encounter dialog box. I know how to use the function so this isn't ignorance on my part, and had it setup perfectly.

When time came to play the encounter, it popped up and ran smoothly.

Towards the end of the encounter, I had accidentally closed the map that we were fighting on. Not for the whole party, just for me. When I attempted to load it back up, I got an error message that stated the encounter could not be found. Didn't have time to create a screenshot.

So I couldn't reload the image and every time I did I got that error message. On a hunch, I tried another encounter map I had setup. Got an error loading that up as well but a different error which I think was image could not be found.

A return to launcher didn't fix the issue, but a full shut down of FG did. It seemed to have only triggered when I closed the map while doing the encounter. I also had them added to the combat tracker at the time. It was a very frustrating bug to say the least.

I tried recreating the bug but wasn't able to.

Moon Wizard
July 16th, 2016, 02:37
Thanks for reporting. Let me know of any other details that you can think of to recreate.

Regards,
JPG

Xydonus
August 5th, 2016, 17:10
Ok so I've re-encountered this issue again -

After closing the map, I'm unable to open it up again. Things I was doing before I closed the map:

Placing tokens on the map, including encounter pins. Pins are from dragging the encounter box onto the map, and I'm doing this so I can keep track of a certain set of tokens.

I notice that the mask feature wasn't working while I was working on the map, hence, I closed it hoping that re-opening it would fix the issue.

I'm not using any extensions that affect the map or any multi-layer extension.

Edit* I should add that twice this has happened on two separate images that have pre-planned encounters on them. The rest have been fine, at least the non-encounter setups.

Xydonus
August 5th, 2016, 17:35
New Issue:

So here's another issue tied to the same map. Masking is not being saved. If I mask the map, close it, reopen it, the mask is gone. Any other changes I make are saved but the masking isn't.

Zacchaeus
August 6th, 2016, 01:18
This sounds like it could be a permissions issue. Make sure that you have full read/write access to your campaign folder and that your settings is pointing to the correct location and finally make sure you are not using any kind of cloud based back up solution for your campaign data.

Xydonus
August 6th, 2016, 02:37
Surely if it was a permission issue, it would be consistent. As in, I'd constantly be denied access to my map. But the way it is, it is inconsistent. Sometimes I can access it just fine without any issues, opening, closing it, etc. Other times, it denies me opening it. Also it is only happening to maps that I've got pre-planned encounters on it using the dnd5e ruleset encounter mechanic. If it was permissions, I'd imagine I'd be denied access to other maps.

damned
August 6th, 2016, 02:54
What is your data path?
Are you sometimes running FG as an Administrator (say from one shortcut) and sometimes not?

Xydonus
August 6th, 2016, 14:42
What is your data path?
Are you sometimes running FG as an Administrator (say from one shortcut) and sometimes not?

C:/Game Drive/Fantasy Grounds

It's not in Program Files as I'm aware of access issues with installing into that.

I run it from a shortcut that has the 'Run this program as an administrator' and I'm the administrator for this computer. It's also win7. I've got full access and I'm not using any cloud based software for backups.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2016, 19:01
Ok so I've re-encountered this issue again -

After closing the map, I'm unable to open it up again. Things I was doing before I closed the map:

Placing tokens on the map, including encounter pins. Pins are from dragging the encounter box onto the map, and I'm doing this so I can keep track of a certain set of tokens.

I notice that the mask feature wasn't working while I was working on the map, hence, I closed it hoping that re-opening it would fix the issue.

I'm not using any extensions that affect the map or any multi-layer extension.

Edit* I should add that twice this has happened on two separate images that have pre-planned encounters on them. The rest have been fine, at least the non-encounter setups.
The path to the image is not the standard one used by Fantasy Grounds - i.e. FG would use \images\<image filename>. Don't add extra directories under the campaign \images directory, leave your image files in \images.

Xydonus
August 6th, 2016, 21:54
The path to the image is not the standard one used by Fantasy Grounds - i.e. FG would use \images\<image filename>. Don't add extra directories under the campaign \images directory, leave your image files in \images.

If that's the issue, then its very bizarre. I've been using FG for the better part of 3 years now, and I've always had directories in images to better sort them out, and I'm sure I can't be the only one who does it. So maybe it's just the images using the encounter setup mechanic that is having issues... I'll take those out and put them just into the FG image folder, and see if I have any further issues after that.

damned
August 7th, 2016, 01:05
You really should avoid running as administrator too. You should not need to. If you are having permissions issues then fix the permission issues at the folder level rather than changing the app permissions.

Xydonus
August 19th, 2016, 19:38
You really should avoid running as administrator too. You should not need to. If you are having permissions issues then fix the permission issues at the folder level rather than changing the app permissions.

Thing is, I don't know if I am having permission issues and honestly I don't think its that. And regarding the administrator bit, only recently have I started doing that, and that was after I started having the problems, not before. Personally I think it could be memory related as I've experienced a weird issue in which tokens would get deleted after trying to move them, and a error pops up that states d(something)3dasset value not found. Sorry, I'll try and get a screenshot next time. Most of the maps are around 2mb to as high as 8mb. Yes - I know FG does not like maps over the 2mb mark, but I've been using maps over 2mb since I started using FG without issue (until now, and only with the DnD ruleset it seems).

Let me make it clearer as to why I don't think this is an access issue, at least on my end:

I am running multiple separate games in different rulesets.

I am running a warhammer 2nd edition game using the Dark Heresy ruleset, and before that, the same game in an older no longer supported 2nd edition ruleset. Never once did I have these issues with maps not loading, etc, and this was over a period of 2 and a half years and this is my most played game that I GM. All the images are in sub-folders in the images folder and despite being told that this causes issues, never had an issue doing this.

I used to run a brief game through Savage Worlds and never had any issues with that.

I am running a Star Wars game using the community star wars edge of the empire ruleset. I've had a couple of issues with maps not being loaded similar to the ones I'm now experiencing in dnd game. Not as frequent though.

I am running a DnD game using the official 5e ruleset. I have had nothing but issues with loading maps consistently enough that its affecting the enjoyment of the game. And this isn't just big maps, I've had a problem on a map that was 563kb.

So to summarize - If this is an access issue with FG, I should be having an issue on all rulesets? So far I'm only having this problem with the DnD ruleset and less common, the Star Wars ruleset.

Is it possible that a player who may have access issues or a incorrect installed FG may cause problems on my end? Although whenever I can't load a map, my players can still load it and use it without issue, I just can't re-open it.

Reason I ask is cause both the Star Wars and DnD game feature the same group of players, while my Warhammer game features a completely different group of players, which I've never had problems with.

damned
August 19th, 2016, 22:30
So.... how big is the Campaign file for this game?
Move ALL the images out that you are no longer using.
Make sure if you are using WiFi that you are not getting packet loss.
Make sure if the player(s) with the issue are using WiFi that they are not getting packet loss.
Have the player(s) with the issue(s) join an hour early or on another night so as not to slow everyone down and have them Nuke their Cache and redownload.

Image Sub folders are not officially supported. Your choice to use them or not.
Large images are supported but they logistically are far more likely to cause issues and to slow the game down. Your choice to use them or not.
Your windows system is not static. It changes every minute. Permissions, apps, updates, registry, firewall, networking etc.
You should not need to run the application as Administrator doing so runs it separately from other apps which can cause issues with Push to Talk and other integrations and it masks what else might be wrong with settings on your computer.

You are having issues with running your game currently. Something is going wrong. You are going to need to start investigating some of these....

Xydonus
August 30th, 2016, 15:07
You are having issues with running your game currently. Something is going wrong. You are going to need to start investigating some of these....

Running out of patience, are we Damned? ... :P

In any case, yes, I have started investigating since these problems came up, and as a result that's why I'm here on this forum, looking for helpful advice, and its certainly appreciated.

And I believe I may have found the root of the problem. After doing a couple of sessions with a couple of players absent, I've not had any issues, including a few stress test sessions just to see. So I got one of the other players to join and not long after he joined, I ran into the same problems. Got him to nuke his cache, and still ran into the same issue... Then got him to reinstall his game, and since then, I've not had a single issue in DnD or Star Wars. So the problem appears to be fixed. This player who had this problem is also not in my WFRP game which is probably why I've never had any issues in that ruleset.

damned
August 30th, 2016, 15:09
Running out of patience, are we Damned? ... :P

you must be thinking of someone else :)