PDA

View Full Version : Why won't some spell lists that par5e correctly appear in FG?

Fudly
July 15th, 2016, 21:14
Par5e does not give any warnings when parsing my spells.txt, and when I load it into Fantasy Grounds, everything appears to be working. However, if you examine the spell lists closely, it's skipping a bunch of lists for no apparent reason.

Here is an example spell list from my spells.txt that is not appearing in Fantasy Grounds (the life domain is in the SRD):

Cleric (Life) Spells
1st Level
Bless
Cure Wounds

2nd Level
Lesser Restoration
Spiritual Weapon

3rd Level
Beacon of Hope
Revivify

4th Level
Death Ward
Guardian of Faith

5th Level
Mass Cure Wounds
Raise Dead

I've replaced all the spells in one of these non-working domains with a domain that is working ("Cleric (Death) Spells"), and it doesn't fix it. I've changed "Life" to "Whatever", and it doesn't fix it." I've changed "Cleric (Life) Spells" to "Kleric Spells", and it doesn't fix it. I have no idea why it's not working. I know it's exactly the same format as everything else, and I know all the spells mentioned are described in the spell description section and available within FG.

Zacchaeus
July 15th, 2016, 21:42
I suspect it's the brackets. Change it to Cleric Life Domain Spells and see if that helps.

Also it goes without saying that you must have a description for each spell below the list otherwise they won't get picked up/

Fudly
July 15th, 2016, 21:47
It's not the parenthesis. I have many cleric domains setup similarly that work, and I have the spell description section on the bottom.

Zacchaeus
July 15th, 2016, 22:13
I just tested it and you are right it's not the brackets. However I got it to par5e fine so I'm at a bit of a loss. Have you tried par5ing just that one domain to see what happens? It's possible that a spell is off somehow and that's throwing the whole thing off.

Also are you saying that none of the spells par5e at all for that domain or the domain itself doesn't appear?

Fudly
July 16th, 2016, 00:45
I'm saying when I click on the "spells" section of my custom phb, the Cleric (Life) spell list and other spell lists do not appear.

I'm thoroughly confused.

If I have Cleric (Life) by itself, it loads correctly.

Cleric (Knowledge) also doesn't load correctly. If I delete all the cleric domains before Cleric (Knowledge), Cleric (Knowledge) loads correctly. If I instead delete all the cleric domains before Cleric (Life), it still doesn't load correctly.

Zacchaeus
July 16th, 2016, 00:57
I still think it has to do with the brackets. It's the only thing that's common to all of your problems. I'd try removing all of them.

Fudly
July 16th, 2016, 00:58
I removed every parenthesis in the file, and it did not fix the problem.

Fudly
July 16th, 2016, 02:50
I learned that removing the bard and cleric spell lists fixed a lot of the disappearing spell lists. I deleted the cleric list, and divide and conquered the bard spell list. Deleting "Calm Emotions" fixed "Warlock (Archfey)", but when I deleted everything related to "Calm Emotions" from the file, "Warlock (Archfey)" disappeared again. I see nothing obviously wrong or suspicious about "Calm Emotions". It doesn't have any characters that would throw off a XML parser.

I really wish I could see the par5e source. Why did Zeus close source the project?

damned
July 16th, 2016, 03:56
I learned that removing the bard and cleric spell lists fixed a lot of the disappearing spell lists. I deleted the cleric list, and divide and conquered the bard spell list. Deleting "Calm Emotions" fixed "Warlock (Archfey)", but when I deleted everything related to "Calm Emotions" from the file, "Warlock (Archfey)" disappeared again. I see nothing obviously wrong or suspicious about "Calm Emotions". It doesn't have any characters that would throw off a XML parser.

You are probably missing something that is required for these earlier entries and its causing it not to see the start of the next entry because its still looking for the required object...

I really wish I could see the par5e source. Why did Zeus close source the project?

Because its his IP... and because he can use it to create commercial products... a valid decision I might add...

Fudly
July 16th, 2016, 21:17
You are probably missing something that is required for these earlier entries and its causing it not to see the start of the next entry because its still looking for the required object...

If it were sequential, it would be simple to fix.

These are the names of all of my spell lists:

Bard Spells
Cleric Spells
Cleric (Arcana) Spells
Cleric (Death) Spells
* Cleric (Knowledge) Spells
* Cleric (Life) Spells
Cleric (Light) Spells
Cleric (Nature) Spells
Cleric (Tempest) Spells
Cleric (Trickery) Spells
Cleric (War) Spells
Druid Spells
Druid (Arctic) Spells
Druid (Coast) Spells
Druid (Desert) Spells
Druid (Forest) Spells
Druid (Grassland) Spells
Druid (Mountain) Spells
Druid (Swamp) Spells
Druid (Underdark) Spells
Fighter (Eldritch Knight) Spells
Paladin Spells
Paladin (Ancients) Spells
* Paladin (Crown) Spells
* Paladin (Devotion) Spells
Paladin (Oathbreaker) Spells
Paladin (Vengeance) Spells
Ranger Spells
Rogue (Arcane Trickster) Spells
Sorcerer Spells
Warlock Spells
* Warlock (Archfey) Spells
* Warlock (Fiend) Spells
Warlock (Great Old One) Spells
* Warlock (Undying) Spells
Wizard Spells

When parse tries to parse all of them, they parse successfully, but the ones marked with an * don't appear within FG.

If I delete the Bard spell list, Life, Crown, Devotion, Archfey, Fiend, and Undying all don't work.
If I delete the Bard and Cleric spell lists, all but Warlock (Undying) works.
If I delete the Bard, Cleric, and Druid spell lists, all the lists appear.
If I delete all but the first spell in every level of the Bard Cleric and druid spell lists, all the lists appear.
If do that but readd "Calm Emotions" to the Cleric's 2nd level, Archfey disappears. "Calm Emotions" is also on the Archfey's spell list but no other spell lists.
If I move "Calm Emotions" to the Bard's 2nd level, Archfey is still gone.

Calm Emotions is in the srd, so I can post my entry for it.

Calm Emotions
2nd-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You attempt to suppress strong emotions in a group of people. Each humanoid in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range must make a Charisma saving throw a creature can choose to fail this saving throw if it wishes. If a creature fails its saving throw, choose one of the following two effects.
You can suppress any effect causing a target to be charmed or frightened. When this spell ends, any suppressed effect resumes, provided that its duration has not expired in the meantime.
Alternatively, you can make a target indifferent about creatures of your choice that it is hostile toward. This indifference ends if the target is attacked or harmed by a spell or if it witnesses any of its friends being harmed. When the spell ends, the creature becomes hostile again, unless the DM rules otherwise.

I see nothing obviously wrong with it.
I replace everything in "Calm Emotions" but the spell name with that from "Charm Person" which is in 5 spell lists without a problem, and it still murders Archfey.
I rename "Calm Emotions" to "Ce", and it still murders Archfey.

I don't know what is going on, but I don't think the problem is my spells.txt.

Zacchaeus
July 16th, 2016, 22:18
I feel your pain here but unfortunately my time is limited at the moment otherwise I'd get you to send me the file so that I can have a look at it. All I can suggest is that you change the names of those where you have brackets to eg. Cleric Life Domain Spells. This is the format as shown in the PHB. I can also tell you that when I added your Cleric life Domain to the PHB spell list everything shows up.

It is possible that there is an error somewhere in your spell.txt and it might not be the Calm Emotions one. Check those either side of it; check to see that the last spell in your list is showing up somewhere. Check that there are no corrupted spell lists anywhere in FG.

It is super frustrating but all I can suggest is to add one class at a time until it breaks and that should point you in the right direction.

El Condoro
July 17th, 2016, 13:08
For what it's worth, I have par5ed all the spells with the category titles you have used (including the brackets) and they all work as they should (after a bit of mucking around with title case in spell names). PM sent if you would like me to check your spells.txt.

El Condoro
July 18th, 2016, 11:21
After a lot of mucking around (renaming, reordering ad infinitum) the only way I could get all of the categories to par5e correctly was to put all the main categories (Cleric, Paladin, Wizard etc.) at the end of the list. If they were above the other (minor) categories, some did not appear. I don't know why - I suspect it has something to do with spells in the minor categories appearing in major ones 'upstream' but I have no idea why. Anyway, that's the best I could do.

Fudly
July 18th, 2016, 15:43
I appreciate the attempt El Condoro.