PDA

View Full Version : How to track money in D&D

Habanero
July 15th, 2016, 18:44
I am messing with the character creation, and am wondering about how people track money.
Is there a place to track your money in the character template (is this what the "Treasure" fields are for)?
If so, can you give yourself a starting GP amount, then as you buy starting equipment, will FG auto subtract the cost of equipment from your current GP?
Can the DM then aware GP to the group, and have it auto assigned like Experience Points?

jshauber
July 15th, 2016, 18:49
Money isn't deducted when the characters buy (drag/drop) something to the inventory. Usually you just take them at their word. The GM can always open the character sheet to spot check them if you want.

Giving out money by making parcels and placing them in the inventory section of the party sheet. You can then sell off items at a % of your choosing and distribute the money to each party member which will automatically add it to the relevant section of treasure on the character sheet.

Habanero
July 15th, 2016, 19:07
Money isn't deducted when the characters buy (drag/drop) something to the inventory. Usually you just take them at their word. The GM can always open the character sheet to spot check them if you want.

Giving out money by making parcels and placing them in the inventory section of the party sheet. You can then sell off items at a % of your choosing and distribute the money to each party member which will automatically add it to the relevant section of treasure on the character sheet.

Are the relevant sections of the treasure fields pre-designated to different denominations of currency (e.g. PP, GP, SP, etc...) or do you manually assign them with labels that the system recognizes? Looks like I have 6 blank fields in my Treasure section as I am creating a character.

jshauber
July 15th, 2016, 20:58
You would need to designate them as you have shown with GP, SP, PP, etc.

Depending on how the GM does his stuff you might end up with GP and gp both, I don't remember if the program recognizes lower/upper case or not or if that is by game system.

Zacchaeus
July 15th, 2016, 21:51
A couple of extra points.

Yes, you can give yourself money in the treasure section of the character sheet. If there is nothing in there and you get some gold pieces distributed via the party sheet it will be entered into the treasure field and it will automatically be given the name that was used in the party sheet; you don't need to fill in the boxes with GP, SP etc it will automatically enter those.

V3.2 due out shortly will have more flexibility with designating currency (so things like $4 will be recognized). Not terrible apposite to 5e but still :)

If you want to have more control over monetary matters you should take a look at Dulux-oz's rather fine locations extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20794-DOE-Locations-Extension)

damned
July 16th, 2016, 05:08
I personally havent played or run a game in which money has mattered in the last 4 years. I remember the last C&C campaign I ran the players were fighting a rear guard / delaying tactic (amongst many other things) against a large (and thus slowish moving) invading army. They kept getting stuck in situations where they felt that giving their money to help the locals was good - the players were always paupers :)

farfafree
July 31st, 2018, 22:54
Anyway to subtract money?

Like what if I want to run

/spend 20GP

and fantasy grounds could calculate that?

Zacchaeus
July 31st, 2018, 23:01
You can create a parcel with negative coin amounts and drag and drop it on a player portrait. When they then drag the parcel to their inventory the coins will be duducted.

damned
July 31st, 2018, 23:02
I believe the only way to have it d the calculation for you is to create a parcel with a negative gold amount.
Its probably quicker to just do the calculation.

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2018, 23:41
A couple other ways it can be done:

* You can type a negative number in the modifier box, and drag to the coin count field.

* You can type "/die # <optional_description>" into the chat window; then drag the chat entry while holding CTRL key (to make negative). Then, drop on the coin count field.

Regards,
JPG

damned
August 1st, 2018, 00:27
A couple other ways it can be done:

* You can type a negative number in the modifier box, and drag to the coin count field.

* You can type "/die # <optional_description>" into the chat window; then drag the chat entry while holding CTRL key (to make negative). Then, drop on the coin count field.

Regards,
JPG

Modifier Box
Doh!
That does work.