PDA

View Full Version : Totally in the dark but interested

Varsuuk
July 14th, 2016, 22:20
Background, i played AD&D from late '79 to 91. 1e, 1.5e & eventually 2e. Later in late 90s tried a few months of 3e which was fine (basic books pre PF days) but we moved again and...

Played 1 game of 5e so far, in person, was fun. it's hard to get us all together these days (I'm 51...so too many "grown up" (bah) responsibilities) I did one FG game at FGCon8 (signed up for 3 but 2 DMs blew it off) and am heavily into coding a Par5e like tool (I'm a C++ software dev, using it as an excuse to write my first Java app) and have ALL the 5e stuff and some other adventures from 3rd party cos I lust over the old days and playing :p hope to actually play online before end of summer.

I didn't know anything about C&C other than seeing it referenced at times in The Compleat Strategist stores here in Manhattan back in the day. it is only recently when I stumbled across OSRIC and bought Adventures Deep and Dark to see what the guy tried to do with AD&D that I read some comparisons of those two with C&C and I was like...heeeey C&C is on FG.

I wondered if it was a "first class" (read about less automation, I meant like as in still supported and kept up to date with underlying core FG updates) RulesetData or like some I heard that were no longer updated.

in any event, at 10$ (no reason to be sad about missing the 25% sale at least) if it's kind of "like" 1e, it may be cool to get.

I am soooooo envious of John and his time and skill to be able to convert ToEE. I'd kill to play in that, we did up to a little of first floor back in 80's. I wish there was a module I could buy of that adventure for any Ruleset!

===================================
So, is this a "kept up to date" Ruleset?

Is there a (hopefully SMALL) set of PDFs to get to learn it (already spent enough recently in other PDFs) - I expect the rules are in the Ruleset but I'd like somethings I can instead read on my iPad vs being at the pic which I soooo rarely am these days with work and little boy taking my time.

Regards,
Dan

(the totally clueless guy who should have known about C&C decades ago...)

Andraax
July 14th, 2016, 22:40
You don't need to buy the ruleset to play in someone else's game. I have a slot in my Tuesday night C&C game if you're interested, you can try it out for a few weeks to see if you like it without spending any money. Here are the "quickstart" rules: https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf

JohnD
July 15th, 2016, 00:14
You can pick up C&C really quickly.

In one game session for 80% of it really.

Varsuuk
July 15th, 2016, 01:10
I'm not saying it for that reason, but to have the docs in general so I can grok it as well as look at converting some old modules I hav to test that out.

I'm surprised you didn't need the Ruleset to play, but the 10$ is the least of my investment worries. just wanted to know how many books are out there to get for this. is it old school ADD level of 3 books or like 3.5 of 177 books... ;)

Varsuuk
July 15th, 2016, 01:11
ok found the website.

Andraax
July 15th, 2016, 01:22
I'm surprised you didn't need the Ruleset to play, but the 10$ is the least of my investment worries. just wanted to know how many books are out there to get for this. is it old school ADD level of 3 books or like 3.5 of 177 books... ;)

With Fantasy Grounds, the GM provides the ruleset and all the books. You can buy a bunch, but all you *need* to play C&C is the PHB, which comes with the ruleset. "Monsters and Treasures" is also handy for the CK, as is the "Castle Keeper's Guide".

Seya
July 15th, 2016, 01:37
I play in Andraaxs in his Tuesday game and it's great. C&C was the first rule set I played since AD&A and it was my first campaign on fantasy grounds.

JohnD
July 15th, 2016, 01:39
I have a tentative game on Saturday evening if the Imperial Guard (wife) doesn't intervene. You and anyone else are more than welcome to observe if it goes ahead.

Varsuuk
July 15th, 2016, 02:48
Saturday may work for me. Ima total noob with FG as well only used it one time to play. I have couple hundred hours on it prob from just writing a new parser tho lol and looking at the code.

Assuming it is Saturday late in EST day or evening (if it's really late, that's fine too) I can make it. For only 10 clams I'll pick up the rule set anyway. I'll hold off on other FG related things until have need.

I just wanted to be sure was a supported rule set first and as soon as I visited this forum I realized it was at least busy :)

Let me know, if I can make the time - let me know what I might be playing assuming it is pregen. I'll read the QuickStart.

Varsuuk
July 15th, 2016, 03:04
Eep lol just looked things available, figures too good to be true, rule set is $10 but I guess equivalent of ding is $27 (still less than 5e dmg but I got that because I knew I had my old gro to play with) I missed the Steam sale not knowing what C&C was until after sale ended. No big, I can wait until November, not like I get lots of time to play and have 5e to keep me busy also.

I will still get the ruler since its only a loss of 2.50 ;)

JohnD
July 15th, 2016, 05:05
The CKG is nice to have but not essential. The base ruleset is all you need if you want to run a game.

damned
July 15th, 2016, 10:29
For the first four printings of Castles&Crusades there was no Caste Keepers Guide. The CKG is 100% optional. Ive got 3 copies of the damn thing and never opened it once :)
Buy it for the $10 and you will find it contains everything you need and it is well maintained.

Varsuuk
July 15th, 2016, 22:54
I did buy it last night :)
I won't need options until/after I ever run it for my family or family/friends in future. I'm just a completist...i.e...a bit obsessive-compulsive. As I am still working on software, that won't be for a bit.

dberkompas
July 17th, 2016, 19:48
@Vaarsuk

If you find yourself wanting the hardcovers of any C&C Products, send me a PM. I've put my C&C books into storage, and don't see myself needing them again.

I backed all the C&C Kickstarters up to Lost City of Gaxmoor.

So if you're looking for Gaxmoor, Three Sisters (Keeper/Player/Monster), Airhde, etc. Let me know.

Boomer

Varsuuk
July 17th, 2016, 23:49
Gaxmoor.... that sounds evocative ;) Although, I thought I recalled that Blackmoor was Kuntz thing or Arneson? vs Gygax.

I'm definitely going to want to get PDFs in the future, books are tricky because I am early home with time to read. I get most of my reading on commute and sometimes in bed before sleep. hardcovers are too bulky I carry around. I LOVE the hardcovers for RPGs but.. . between cost and needing the PDFs in addition, it doesn't make sense to buy the main 3 (player, monster, DMG/ckg) set twice.

I hear there's a sale on drivethru in few days (too bad spent on the retro ADD books just before the site sale. but dunno if I feel in a position to buy them this time around. I have spent quite a bit on RPG and house stuff (prime day Amazon) recently.

GunbunnyFuFu
July 31st, 2016, 18:34
Jumping in on this late...My first real foray into Fantasy Grounds has been C&C (I play in John D's game), and I absolutely love it. For me, it captures the old school feeling very, very well. I'm working on running my first tabletop/face-to-face game of C&C after having picked up a fair amount of C&C stuff at last year's GenCon..I'm going to convert the GDQ1-7 Queen of Spiders and run it for some old school fun.

GB