PDA

View Full Version : Price issues in the 5th ed DMG

Batman13
July 14th, 2016, 14:35
I was looking at some of the items' prices in the DMG- specifically the +1 and +2 shield. Per the FG DMG. A +1 shield (Uncommon) is listed at 112gp and a +2 shield (Rare) is listed as 838gp. If my memory is correct, in the PHB or DMG it says that rare items have a minimum of 5000gp in value. Another issue is the Adamantine Plate Armor. It is listed as 807gp, and it is considered uncommon. The regular plate is listed as 1500gp in the PHB.

Where do these prices come from and should they be considered official since they are listed in the licensed content? Or, should these prices be fixed to align with the posted price ranged?

LordEntrails
July 14th, 2016, 19:47
DMG pg 135 gives the following table for suggested magic item prices;
Common 50-100gp
Uncommon 101-500gp
Rare 501-5000gp
Very Rare 5001-50000gp
Legendary 50001+gp

So all the prices you list are within the published ranges and could be considered official. But, as you noticed, this doesn't mean any price within that range makes sense for every item of the assigned rarity.

FG randomly (?) generated prices for each magic item. I don't know if this is done once and we all share the same prices, or if this is done every-time it's added to a campaign or otherwise.

But, as a DM, I don't use those prices anyway, as my players don't get to shop for magic items and as of yet, no one could afford to buy from them anyway.

Nickademus
July 14th, 2016, 19:55
Another issue is the Adamantine Plate Armor. It is listed as 807gp, and it is considered uncommon. The regular plate is listed as 1500gp in the PHB.

I'm curious about this. The only instance of the word 'adamantine' in the PHB is in the description of the Creation spell. Where are you seeing the price of adamantine plate armor in the PHB? The DMG lists uncommon magic items at 101-500 gp. Were are you seeing 1,500 gp? Rare items are 501-5,000 gp, so a max of 5,000 gp.

The prices, as noted in another thread, are random within the range of the rarity and chosen by Par5e. Hence they are not official, but they are accurate.

EDIT: I type too slow when I'm tired...

Batman13
July 14th, 2016, 20:10
The 1500gp is in the price of normal plate and it is listed in the PHB. So, common plate if 1500, and uncommon adamanitine is listed as 807gp. It seems odd.

LordEntrails
July 14th, 2016, 20:17
The 1500gp is in the price of normal plate and it is listed in the PHB. So, common plate if 1500, and uncommon adamanitine is listed as 807gp. It seems odd.

It is odd. But it is also within RAW. But 5E doesn't try to be accurate with prices, that's why only a range is given.

Nickademus
July 14th, 2016, 21:28
Most of the time I hear that GMs house rule that special material armors cost the price of the normal armor plus the price of the material based on it's minimum (or maximum) magic-item-rarity value. I ran into this trying also trying to price mithril full plate.

rob2e
July 14th, 2016, 21:36
I've been using the (wonky) values in the DMG to allow players to purchase items. GP isn't worth much else in thh game to do except buy stuff. Those weird, random values have rasied some questions though. Perhaps instead of randomizing them, it could be a range. So instead of "282 gp" it would say "100 - 500 gp" and then the DM could decide or always use the lower/upper limit or whatever. But the inconsistancy of random numbers kind of causes problems.

Zacchaeus
July 14th, 2016, 22:33
Just bear in mind that every time the DMG gets par5ed (for example to correct an error) that those prices will change :)

So, as I said in a previous post they are not official prices but just guidelines. Prices are there becasue of the way par5e works to create the magic items and templates.

LordEntrails
July 14th, 2016, 22:47
Just bear in mind that every time the DMG gets par5ed (for example to correct an error) that those prices will change :)

So, as I said in a previous post they are not official prices but just guidelines. Prices are there becasue of the way par5e works to create the magic items and templates.

So basically every update that gets pushed with a DMG correction (which is probably everyone of them) the prices change for all of us? Even in ongoing campaigns?

I don't like that...

I like Rob2E's suggestion much better.

rob2e
July 14th, 2016, 22:48

Couldn't the repair sing include a range or fixed number instead. I think the random thing is hinky.

Zacchaeus
July 14th, 2016, 23:12
Items in a campaign won't change, unless you revert changes since they are copies of the DMG item. You'll need to ask Zeus about why it's a random number but I'm guessing it's easier than anything else. Also the last DMG update was over 8 months ago now so not a lot has changed ��

damned
July 15th, 2016, 10:33
The items need a price and Im 98% sure that no matter what price the good folks at SW decided to use there would be people that didnt like it.
It takes around 9 seconds to adjust the price to anything you like and in most games there wont be that many times when you can *buy* magic items...

LordEntrails
July 15th, 2016, 20:07
The items need a price and Im 98% sure that no matter what price the good folks at SW decided to use there would be people that didnt like it.
It takes around 9 seconds to adjust the price to anything you like and in most games there wont be that many times when you can *buy* magic items...

Agreed. And to me it's not a big deal. Because I don't allow my players to buy magic. And though that is they way I think WotC generally agrees with this approach, I don't think we should assume it's the approach we should assume other DMs should use.

The problem with adjusting the costs, is that they way it is presented does not indicate that a DM could or should change the cost. It's presented as a definitive value in a set field (though not changeable). Many users will conveniently forget or not consider that magic items prices per the DMG is a range. And instead when they see a set value will take is as canon and move forward with it.

Zacchaeus
July 15th, 2016, 21:54
It's presented as a definitive value in a set field (though not changeable).

I think you mean fully editable?

LordEntrails
July 15th, 2016, 22:00
Meant to say "though changeable"

Nylanfs
July 15th, 2016, 22:01
It would be cool if it had a range shown in the module, but when you drug it out of it, into a parcel or to a char of what have you it randomly generates the value then.

damned
July 16th, 2016, 05:06
It would be cool if it had a range shown in the module, but when you drug it out of it, into a parcel or to a char of what have you it randomly generates the value then.

Yes that would be good - but it means the data format is different and would require additional coding...

LordClaus
June 11th, 2020, 04:01
I add the price of normal plate with the price of the Mithril or the Adamantine metal to come up with the crafting price of the Armor. The Rarity of the Armor is based off the sales price. So Mithril Plate would cost 2000 Gp to craft, That's the cost it takes to craft not the sales price, The Sales price depends upon the craftsmanship of the Armorer. The highest quality Craftsmanship by the best....Elves in my world create the best Mithril Armor and Dwarves create the best Adamantine armor. would be up to 5X the creation cost. Mithril and Adamantine metals are very difficult to work and takes special knowledge. Just the way I play it and yes I write all the effects myself on FG.