PDA

View Full Version : Campaign thoughts

Snikle
August 21st, 2005, 05:29
Only had this a day now, so sorry if this is a noOb question.
I typicaly run massive and epic campaigns and I am planning on plugging everything into FG, but I got to thinking and I wonder how FG can handle massive amounts of campaing data. I am guessing here, but 100s of npcs might be possible (I like reoccuring npcs), many many maps (I love to map) and lots of campaign logs, etc, etc.
I am curious if anyone has pushed it to the breaking point, what that point was, and if this might force me to break it up into smaller campaigns, which I really dont want to do since some maps, npcs, items, etc may have to recreated (thinkj I can just copy and paste the folders, not sure yet, not tested). Anyway, just random thoughts!

Crusader
August 21st, 2005, 08:13
There is one easy way to break up a campaign into smaller pieces though. That is called Modules. Decide on what makes up a good 'subset' of your campaign, and create that in FantasyGrounds complete with maps, NPC:s, Encounters and whatnot. When you're finished, type the following command in the chatwindow:

/export <filename> <Module description>

This archives all the content into a single file which appears as a module under the Module Activation window. You then proceed to create a 'Framework campaign' that might contain all information that is generic to your campaign. Whenever you need info from one of the modules you can add that module dynamically during play.

I don't know where the 'breaking point' of FantasyGrounds lie, but I'm not to keen on finding out so this is how I handle stuff. Also, it makes it a bit easier of finding the stuff that you want.

Snikle
August 21st, 2005, 17:34
Interesting, I will have to look into doing this since I frequently create things unique to my campaign world and make subtle changes to the common things found in D&D.
Thanks!

richvalle
August 21st, 2005, 20:34
The module thing works pretty well. Someone even created the SRD magic items as a module. If you want access to it you just load the module on the fly.

I think you would basicly create a bunch of modules as containers to hold your campaign stuff. Maybe one for each 'region' or city or what ever. The you can load them as you need them and unload them when you are done.

Note about maps - I definatly see FG taking longer to load up and to 'come to the front' when switching programs after putting in some large maps (400-500k+). It doesn't break it... but it is something to keep an eye on.

Enjoy!

rv

Goblin-King
August 23rd, 2005, 13:18
Note about maps - I definatly see FG taking longer to load up and to 'come to the front' when switching programs after putting in some large maps (400-500k+). It doesn't break it... but it is something to keep an eye on.

This will be a lot faster after 1.05.

richvalle
August 23rd, 2005, 14:14
Less talking, more working!!!!

:)

I'm really looking forward to this patch.

rv

Khartoum
August 30th, 2005, 00:23
I tried doing this to an existing campaign and wonder why I can't get it to work :(

The current campaign "chapter" is coming to a close (i.e. the players are finishing up what I've already created for them for this first part).

This campaign was entitled "Introductions". I figured before starting to set up the second chapter, I'd "partition" "Introductions" into a "module".

So I opened up FG, "Introductions" campaign, and typed in the chat window: "/export<Introductions><ChapterOne>".

The first time I used spaces between the brackets and got an "export failed" message. The second time I removed the spaces, didn't get an error message, but also didn't get anything when I opened up the "Module Activation" window.

I even tried copying and pasting the "Introductions" folder into the "Modules" folder. Still nothing when I clicked on "Module Activation".

Can anyone help me out with this? I'm pretty computer illiterate, but seem to have an inner sense about certain things. Any help would need to be spelled out clearly ;)

Thanks in advance.

Crusader
August 30th, 2005, 05:46
Oh sorry, I should have explained myself better! :oops:

What I should have typed was "replace the text within the less- and greater-than-signs with text of your own choice". So in your case, if you type '/export Introductions Chapter One' you'll end up having a file named Introductions.mod, that will show up as 'Chapter One' in your module activation window.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Khartoum
August 31st, 2005, 22:58
No apologies necessary - like I said, I'm very slow when it comes to computers and programming...to wit:

Your suggestion worked marvelously - thanks for clarifying :) . Eliminating the brackets allowed me to partition/delegate the adventure "Introductions" into a module.

But. . . . now what? I kinda expected all the info (maps, characters, items) to be wrapped up into that module as well. However, all the maps etc. are still accessible when I open up the appropriate icon (right hand side icons). It doesn't seem anything as really changed....

I must be missing something else. Should I now place the "Introductions" folder into the newly created module folder ("Chapter One")? Are my expectations incorrect? I was expecting to start a new chapter in my adventure with a clean slate, being able to access "Introductions" when I opened up that module....

Sorry for being so confusing and wordy. Again, thanks in advance for any help with this.

NEVER MIND - this is what I get for not trying it out before I ask questions. I just decided to work on the new campaign and then had a "flash" - What if I activate the module in my "new" campaign? Bingo! I am now able to access the "old" campaign in the new one.

So, now I wonder, what if I create the new chapter as a module. Will I be able to access it as a "module activation" if I load up the "old" campaign. Me thinks I will be able to ;) Thanks again :D