PDA

View Full Version : ...connection test failure ...

prale
July 11th, 2016, 21:17
I am a Ultimate license holder, but I have never been able to host a game because my internet is junk....My internet is Wireless Broadband, meaning I have a small dish on my house, but this is NOT hughes net or the like.. I connect directly to the modem, I dont use a router, I turned off my windows firewall, and I still get a failed test, My best guess is my ISP is blocking it somehow, but im not sure...any thoughts ?

prale
July 12th, 2016, 02:18
well i got it too work with Hamachi

LordEntrails
July 12th, 2016, 02:35
Have you tried setting up port forwarding? Let us know what you've tried and we can point you to the needed resources or help walk you through the configurations needed (if any).

prale
July 12th, 2016, 02:53
I did try port forwarding, but then i just disconnected my router and tried it directly, port forwarding would then not be necessary as I understand it.

lesliev
July 12th, 2016, 03:07
prale what kind of link do you use to connect directly to the modem? Is it a USB connection or an Ethernet (UTP) connection?
It's likely your modem acts as a router. Does it have an IP address of its own?

Once you are connected to the internet, you can run the "route" command to see if you are indeed connected directly to the Internet.
On Windows, run "route print", on Mac or Linux run "route -n" at the command line and check for an IP address listed under "Gateway".

Typically that address is going to be an internal address, starting with "192.168" and that indicates that the next hop is some device acting as a router, instead of a device at your ISP.

LordEntrails
July 12th, 2016, 03:14
For a bit more on what lesliev is indicating, the route will help determine what you need to do. If you have a modem and a router, then most likely what you have to do is port forward on the modem to the router, then on the router port forward to your computer.

prale
July 12th, 2016, 04:28
My internet is Wireless Broadband, meaning I have a small dish on my house, but this is NOT hughes net or the like.. I connect directly from my dish to my computer,no router... there is a cable from the dish to my house that feeds into a Ubiquiti Switched Mode Power Supply, and from there a ethernet cable to my computer, .... there is no modem nor router....I know this is an odd set up...

prale
July 12th, 2016, 04:37
Oh and also I realize that undoubtedly there is a Modem/router, its just not one that I have access too, which is why I said my internet is junk.. My ISP engineer has supposed to have called me for the past 2 weeks, this has been an on going problem for 2 years..

LordEntrails
July 12th, 2016, 04:50
Sorry, beyond me :(

But, odds are damned or another network genius will be along shortly to help with more better help :)

prale
July 12th, 2016, 04:54
yea, I appreciate your trying...

lesliev
July 12th, 2016, 10:24
Ok, but whether you technically have a router or not, the fact that you are connecting to the modem via an Ethernet cable means that the the modem is probably *acting* as a router. The reason I wanted you to run the route command is that it will let you know what the IP of the next hop is, ie. the IP address (most likely) of your modem. This IP address is either public or private. If it starts with 192.168, it's private, and that means that it will have to do port mapping (otherwise known as NAT) in order to forward traffic from out on the Internet to you. So even though you think this is different to the usual way to connect to the Internet, I think that when you add your router into the mix you then effectively have *two* routers.

No doubt Damned knows a lot about networks but I also know a little, having been a Sysadmin for 7 years.

damned
July 12th, 2016, 11:53
I'd be willing to bet some coin that this cant be done on a satellite/wireless setup as you ahve described so far. Im happy to have a look with you but I think the answer will be no. PM if you like. Hamachi is your easiest bet. Otherwise you could build a VPN server for $10/year - if you are feeling adventurous... instructions here.. :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1mxkdubn8kt46k/Fantasy%20Grounds%20VPN%20Server%20Setup%20-%20draft.docx?dl=0
Only condition o the later is you must proof the doco if you use it and give me any feedback on clarity, errors etc.

prale
July 12th, 2016, 13:38
Lesliev, first I'd like to thank you for your help..

prale
July 12th, 2016, 13:43
Damned, again I thank you for your help,, I am absolutely interested in the VPN solution, but it does look daunting, so id like to exhaust all other possibilities, one being a Static IP, my ISP is offering to give me a Static IP, Do you think that might resolve my issue ?

damned
July 12th, 2016, 14:16
Sent you a PM.

LordEntrails
July 12th, 2016, 19:37
@prale,
I could be wrong about this, but I think you want to edit your above post and remove your route info from the above post. Somebody could use it to go after your network. In general you should PM anything with an IP in it.

EDIT: at least according to my paranoia :)

prale
July 12th, 2016, 19:42
ahh ok, thanks .. damn Ogres... :)....

JohnD
July 13th, 2016, 00:42
Can you switch to a better provider? I'm thinking probably not, but investigate the options.

prale
July 13th, 2016, 01:00
When I lay awake at night, I often contemplate what it would be like to have Internet provider Choices :)

damned
July 13th, 2016, 10:43
As suggested above - this cant be done with prales current setup. Multiple private ip devices between him and the rest of the world...
I tested my VPN solution again here and it works properly (havent found anywhere it hasnt worked yet...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1mxkdubn8kt46k/Fantasy%20Grounds%20VPN%20Server%20Setup%20-%20draft.docx?dl=0

Willot
July 13th, 2016, 12:32
Strangly I have a simular set up. I have a microwave transceiver on my house that points to The town hall then the town hall points at Mt Herringback etc. Orgianlly I had simpular problems. Difference being I have a acual wireless router into my lan port in the wall.
Problem of course was the Modem on the transceiver outside was handling everything so I couldnt do port forwarding either. However seems my ISP was a bit more helpful. I rang them and they changed it so MY router pluged in the wall handled every thing instead of the one outside.

prale
July 13th, 2016, 13:33
I'd Like to Thank Damned for trying to help, he went way above and beyond, Ive been gaming online for over 25 years and its a rare thing to have a community as helpful as this one....

lesliev
July 14th, 2016, 03:21
Yeah, sorry I didn't consider that your routing info could expose you a bit. Good luck with the VPN!