PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weapon Damages

warderbrad
July 11th, 2016, 19:21
I did not see another thread on this but it could exist. I am wanting to know about how to apply the code for weapons like Mace of Disruption or Frost Brand. I have found the 5e Effects but I am not sure where to put it in the weapon info. I am very confused by this and would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2016, 19:34
For mace of disruption create an effect like this IFT: TYPE(undead, fiend); DMG: 2d6 radiant.

For Frostbrand Create an Effect RESIST: fire and add another line of damage in the weapon for the 1d6 cold.

You'll find some help in the creating character section of the wiki here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Creating_a_weapon) and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Creating_Effects)

warderbrad
July 11th, 2016, 20:46
So this is not created in the weapon but as a separate power? That seems counter intuitive. Am I understanding this right?

warderbrad
July 11th, 2016, 20:53
So I am still confused. I pulled both weapons from the DMG, I even tried using the forge for the Frost Brand. I have made two new powers but I am not sure what field to put the code into.

Gwydion
July 11th, 2016, 21:05
If you pull the Frost Brand shortsword from the DM guide into inventory for a character, it should show up as "Gelid Shortsword". If you look on the action tab, it should already have the weapon. Next to the attack dice, you should see 1d6+modifier, magic. If you need to change anything, click on the magnifying glass next to the box where it shows the 1d6+modifier, magic and you can add anything you need to under "type" which is a text box. Right now it should show "piercing, magic". Does that help? You should not need to create a power.

El Condoro
July 11th, 2016, 21:38
You will need to create the effect for the "you have resistance to fire damage" part of Frost Brand though. The damage affects the weapon, the resistance affects the character. RESIST:fire - see image. Click it to apply to the character in the Combat Tracker indefinitely.

warderbrad
July 11th, 2016, 21:42
So for the Frost Brand do I have to apply the Fire Resistance each time the character is pulled to a map? Is it something that will persist?

What about the Mace of Disruption effects, how are those applied?

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2016, 21:50
So this is not created in the weapon but as a separate power? That seems counter intuitive. Am I understanding this right?

Yes, the mace of disruption is set up as a power which will be applied to the character. You can't create an effect which applies to a weapon. So the effect which I noted above should be created as a power. Set the targeting to SELF and then it can be clicked on by the player. The effect will then sit on the character and when he damages any of the correct npc types it will deal the additional damage.

For the Frostbrand, as El Condoro says you need an effect on the player to deal with the resistance to fire, just like above. For the damage as warderbrad says you create a new line in the Weapons section of the powers tab. Equip the weapon and then click the magnifying class to the right of the weapon line. Click the brown button with the white slash and then the green one to add a new line. In that line type cold and then drag a d6 into the dice box on the left. The weapon will now automatically deal the additional damage.

EDIT: to answer the questions you asked whilst I was typing this. Effects are applied by clicking on the small effect button on the powers tab - once it has been created. Set the targeting to SELF and it will apply to the character. The effect won't persist if the character is removed from the Combat Tracker and will have to be applied again when re-placed on the CT. Normally though in a campaign the characters are never removed from the tracker.

warderbrad
July 11th, 2016, 21:57
Yes, the mace of disruption is set up as a power which will be applied to the character. You can't create an effect which applies to a weapon. So the effect which I noted above should be created as a power. Set the targeting to SELF and then it can be clicked on by the player. The effect will then sit on the character and when he damages any of the correct npc types it will deal the additional damage.

So if a character has multiple weapons and one is the mace of disruption how would they be sure that only the mace is affected by the increased damage? Is there a way to set it up to be automatically applied when using the mace?

warderbrad
July 11th, 2016, 22:03
As another issue, If you are using a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power, is there a way to make a effect to set the Str stat to 19 if it is not already equal to or over that? I am concerned that if the original score is just overwritten that should the gauntlets be removed I would not know what the score would revert to.

spite
July 11th, 2016, 22:54
So if a character has multiple weapons and one is the mace of disruption how would they be sure that only the mace is affected by the increased damage? Is there a way to set it up to be automatically applied when using the mace?

Not directly, you can set it up so the effect comes off after a use of it. So if you use the mace sparingly compared to other weapons, you just click once, the affect applies to the next roll.
You roll the mace attack + damage, the extra effect applies to this attack, and then falls off.
This adds an extra click when using the mace, but if you aren't using it a lot, can be the best option for you.

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2016, 22:55

No FG can't know that the effect applies only to one weapon; the effect will apply to all weapons. You can sort this either by having the player add the effect only when he is using the weapon and then the DM removes it if he is using a different one. The other option is for the DM to turn the effect off and on in the CT depending on whether it is being used or not.

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2016, 22:58
As another issue, If you are using a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power, is there a way to make a effect to set the Str stat to 19 if it is not already equal to or over that? I am concerned that if the original score is just overwritten that should the gauntlets be removed I would not know what the score would revert to.

Create an effect of STR: x where x is the difference between the characters actual STR and 19. So if their strength is 16 then the effect will be STR: 3. Apply it to the character when they are wearing the gauntlets.

Xorn
July 12th, 2016, 22:09
Zacchaeus's method is how I handle Gauntlets of Ogre Power in my campaign. Initially though I just set is STR to 19 and wrote on his notes tab that his Strength was actually 16. Either work, but I like the Effect as a reminder

Zacchaeus
July 12th, 2016, 23:57
Xorn! Where the hell have you been? :)

Willot
July 13th, 2016, 05:06
Xorn! Where the hell have you been? :)
I'd heard he'd been travelling the outer planes...