PDA

View Full Version : 5e Cone

VenomousFiligree
July 10th, 2016, 22:31
How long would it take a competent coder to code a 5e cone extension?

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2016, 22:35
Dulux-oz wrote this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Custom_Pointers_Coding_Toolkit) on this very subject. But I don't know the answer to your question :)

VenomousFiligree
July 10th, 2016, 22:36
Yes, I've seen that. I want the extension, not how to make it assuming you know what you're doing! :)

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2016, 23:20
Only Dulux knows the maths. ��

jshauber
July 11th, 2016, 02:01
Ummmm, how is this different than what you can make/draw in FG already? Am I missing something?

spite
July 11th, 2016, 02:44
Ummmm, how is this different than what you can make/draw in FG already? Am I missing something?

As mentioned numerous times ine very thread on this topic, the FG cone is not the correct cone for 5th edition. 5th edition cone is equal in diameter to the length from the beginning point.
IE: a 10foot cone has the widest point 10foot wide, this is not the case with the FG cone which maintains a 90degree angle.

El Condoro
July 11th, 2016, 04:12
If you set the "Map: Diagonal Distance" option to Variant you get the correct distances of the radius.

jshauber
July 11th, 2016, 04:17
As mentioned numerous times ine very thread on this topic, the FG cone is not the correct cone for 5th edition. 5th edition cone is equal in diameter to the length from the beginning point.
IE: a 10foot cone has the widest point 10foot wide, this is not the case with the FG cone which maintains a 90degree angle.

OH, guess I didn't pay enough attention to the threads as we have just been using what is built in and seem to be getting by just fine.

Nickademus
July 11th, 2016, 04:37
DULUX! We need an extension! :P

spite
July 11th, 2016, 06:19
OH, guess I didn't pay enough attention to the threads as we have just been using what is built in and seem to be getting by just fine.

Yea unless you are a real stickler for the minutiae it doesn't make too much of an impact on gameplay. If I have a group that's a stickler for nothaving that extra 15ish degrees, I just use two straight line markers instead.

Nickademus
July 11th, 2016, 07:30
Had a 1st-level dragonborn breathe and take out close to 8 creatures due to the larger cone area. The battle might have gone quite differently if he had only been able to hit half of those.

Griogre
July 11th, 2016, 07:59
Yea unless you are a real stickler for the minutiae it doesn't make too much of an impact on gameplay. If I have a group that's a stickler for nothaving that extra 15ish degrees, I just use two straight line markers instead.

It's actually about 30 degrees less. The 5E cone is basically an equilateral triangle with an arc instead of one side, so the cone angle will be a little less than 60 degrees as compared to the 90 degree arcs FG uses.

VenomousFiligree
July 11th, 2016, 08:36
Lots of chatter but no answer... :(

VenomousFiligree
July 11th, 2016, 08:40
If you set the "Map: Diagonal Distance" option to Variant you get the correct distances of the radius.

The cone would appear to be the same shape in both variant and standard

El Condoro
July 11th, 2016, 08:58
The cone would appear to be the same shape in both variant and standard

That's right. I misunderstood the point about the angle needing to be 60 deg rather than the current 90. Equilateral triangle (approx.) compared to a right-angle one.

Nickademus
July 11th, 2016, 16:53
Lots of chatter but no answer... :(
Here is your answer. Must summon the Lord of the Danc... er Extensions.

DULUX! We need an extension! :P

rob2e
July 11th, 2016, 18:45
It's always been fascinating (best word I could think of) how a lot of DMs and players are willing to look by this mistake. It's caused a crazy amount of arguments in games I've been involved in, but in an effort to keep the game moving someone just usually yells out, "It's close enough, c'mon!!" Ha! I'd personally love it if the 5e cone worked correctly, but I'm no expert on how much work that would take. Also, doesn't seem it should be an extension, seems it should work correctly within the FG code.

LordEntrails
July 11th, 2016, 18:51
All of the pointers behave... less than ideally imo. But it doesn't bother me too much. I just use the cone as is and the other issues my groups deal with just by manually adjusting our target selections on what we know to be right rather than what FG suggests. After all, FGs automation is just a suggestion, it's always up to the DM and players to be more intelligent and do things they want, not the way the programs suggests.

rob2e
July 11th, 2016, 18:53
All of the pointers behave... less than ideally imo. But it doesn't bother me too much. I just use the cone as is and the other issues my groups deal with just by manually adjusting our target selections on what we know to be right rather than what FG suggests. After all, FGs automation is just a suggestion, it's always up to the DM and players to be more intelligent and do things they want, not the way the programs suggests.

Not fun to have to explain that to unwilling player ears though.

Nickademus
July 11th, 2016, 20:45
Also, doesn't seem it should be an extension, seems it should work correctly within the FG code.

This. If the ruleset claims to run a game using the 5e rules, then it's a bug if it does so incorrectly.

At least disable the generic cone.

gqwebb
July 12th, 2016, 00:50
To much talk let's eat!
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQXdQIz7-CcsRvXvKtKQUJ_bswj8Lk7dDntxfoiJ4v4XEgULWM

And why not this summer is as hot as dragon born breath.

Zeus
July 12th, 2016, 00:58
I've added this to my Todo list - I'll work on a prototype at the end of the week. In actuality, Dulux-Oz has done all the heavy lifting with the Pointer toolkit and specifically the fpConePointer(aShapeCurves,nRadius,nArcDegrees) function. :) Thanks Oz.

Zacchaeus
July 12th, 2016, 01:17
To much talk let's eat!
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQXdQIz7-CcsRvXvKtKQUJ_bswj8Lk7dDntxfoiJ4v4XEgULWM

And why not this summer is as hot as dragon born breath.

Maybe where you are but it still feels like winter here ��

LordEntrails
July 12th, 2016, 01:19
I've added this to my Todo list - I'll work on a prototype at the end of the week. In actuality, Dulux-Oz has done all the heavy lifting with the Pointer toolkit and specifically the fpConePointer(aShapeCurves,nRadius,nArcDegrees) function. :) Thanks Oz.

Thank you Zeus (and dulux-oz). It will be much appreciated.

VenomousFiligree
July 12th, 2016, 05:23

Thanks Zeus!

Moon Wizard
July 12th, 2016, 06:04
I was inspired this evening, so I just addressed this in the 5E ruleset without requiring an extension starting in v3.2.0. (currently in beta testing)

Regards,
JPG

spite
July 12th, 2016, 07:17
Just tested it out, and it looks great! Thank's Moon Wizard!

Szabtom
July 12th, 2016, 09:27
Wow, great, thank you!