PDA

View Full Version : 5E Encounter Calc

Fudly
July 10th, 2016, 22:14
MODERATOR: Now includes updated v3.2.0 compatible version.

I updated hereander's extension. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26180-Posting-chat-message-only-to-myself&p=233194&viewfull=1#post233194)

How it works:
Put the attachment in your fantasy ground's extensions folder. On my computer that is:

C:\Users\Fudly\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions

Activate the extension for your campaign

Choose whether you want to get party levels from the combat tracker or the party sheet.

To use this, as you're creating a new encounter, click the refresh button to update the XP total, and then press "Encounter Difficulty" to output the difficulty of the encounter to chat.

This is a little different from hereander's. I don't know which formula he was using to calculate difficulty. We calculate it the DMG way now. Also, I added a "super deadly" category which is another difficulty level harder than deadly.

Fudly
July 10th, 2016, 22:19
Also, I'd like to make this autoupdate the XP total as you add, remove, and change the quantity of mobs, but I have no idea how to get that information in scope. I feel like I should be able to add a handler to the .npclist database record, but I couldn't figure out the syntax.

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2016, 22:29
Nice work, I'll sticky this in the 5E forums.

lesliev
July 11th, 2016, 02:17
Awesome, thanks Fudly! This is going to save me a lot of time!

lesliev
July 11th, 2016, 08:40
This page still has the link to the old non-working extension:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions

bnickelsen
October 25th, 2016, 23:58
I noticed that the calculation seems to always pick the lower value when assigning the difficulty level. I think (my interpretation) is it should pick the one closer to your value.

So if your encounter threshold = 700 and Medium = 500 and Hard = 750 then the encounter should = Hard. However it seems to me that teh extension woudl return Medium.

Fudly
October 26th, 2016, 00:11
I noticed that the calculation seems to always pick the lower value when assigning the difficulty level. I think (my interpretation) is it should pick the one closer to your value.

So if your encounter threshold = 700 and Medium = 500 and Hard = 750 then the encounter should = Hard. However it seems to me that teh extension woudl return Medium.

The DM manual has thresholds with no rounding, so I have thresholds with no rounding. That said, I'd bet your way is equally useful (aka almost useless). The calculation isn't nearly accurate enough where rounding matters.

If accurate encounter difficulties matters to you, the best edition for that is 4th.

JohnD
October 26th, 2016, 01:40
I don't particularly worry about CL. I just put the situation out there and let the players decided who has the bigger swinging ****.

bnickelsen
October 26th, 2016, 02:35
The DM manual has thresholds with no rounding, so I have thresholds with no rounding. That said, I'd bet your way is equally useful (aka almost useless). The calculation isn't nearly accurate enough where rounding matters.

If accurate encounter difficulties matters to you, the best edition for that is 4th.

I respect your opinion.
If I can figure how to even get in and look at it, do you mind if I tinker.

hereander
November 3rd, 2016, 22:38
Hey, great work! I almost forgot about that thing :)

As far as I remember I got the algorithm from the javascript here https://dhmholley.co.uk/encounter-calculator-5th/

Gwydion
November 5th, 2016, 14:17
Has anyone tested this to see if it is compatible with 3.2? I like this extension but haven't tried it yet with the new release.

noxioustaco
November 5th, 2016, 19:32
This was not compatible with the new Volos guide.
Using the random encounter tool in Volos guide and this extension loaded, the generator would not return a CR or XP value for the encounter.
I will test for 3.2 when I get home shortly.

Gwydion
November 5th, 2016, 19:51
That makes sense. Thanks for testing!

noxioustaco
November 5th, 2016, 21:50
Works with 3.2 and I tested with PoTA module.

Works fine.

You can leave it loaded but it borks the random encounter tool in Volos Monster guide.

No CR or XP values load

Gwydion
November 5th, 2016, 23:18
Works with 3.2 and I tested with PoTA module.

Works fine.

You can leave it loaded but it borks the random encounter tool in Volos Monster guide.

No CR or XP values load

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Fudly
November 7th, 2016, 01:10
This was not compatible with the new Volos guide.
Using the random encounter tool in Volos guide and this extension loaded, the generator would not return a CR or XP value for the encounter.
I will test for 3.2 when I get home shortly.

It did work. You just had to unlock the encounter to see the refresh button.

In any case, I uploaded a new version that generates an unlocked encounter with the exp/cr values already calculated.

Gwydion
November 10th, 2016, 22:11
It did work. You just had to unlock the encounter to see the refresh button.

In any case, I uploaded a new version that generates an unlocked encounter with the exp/cr values already calculated.

Thanks, Fudly! Much appreciated.

Xydonus
November 18th, 2016, 14:15
Loving this extension. Particularly cause I'm dming a dnd campaign and since this is my first foray into dnd, this certainly helps me get a feel for the challenge rating system. I don't want to end up accidentally TPKing my group :P

SirArion
December 7th, 2016, 02:39
Hmm, when I run this (with no other extensions loaded) I get the following error?

Script Error: [string "scripts/5EEncCalc.lua"]:52: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

Zacchaeus
December 7th, 2016, 10:59
Hmm, when I run this (with no other extensions loaded) I get the following error?

Script Error: [string "scripts/5EEncCalc.lua"]:52: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

Indeed, there does seem to be an error. The author has said that it works with 3.2 but we are now on 3.2.1 so we can assume that it doesn't work with the latest version of FG.

whiteTiki
December 12th, 2016, 06:15
Hi there,

I really find this extension useful, and I'm grateful with its creator.
I was using it the other day and I found some errors/bugs with the formulas used to calculate the Difficulty Level:
1.- Everything starts fine, you select whether to use the party sheet or the combat tracker as a reference.
2.- Then it automatically calculates the Party XP Threshold which it does perfectly.
3.- Then the extension analyzes the total number of Monsters/NPCs to choose a correct modifier from the Encounter Multipliers Table. Which is OK.
4.- In the end, it applies the multiplier to the Encounter's Total XP and it compares it to the Partys XP Threshold to give you a final result.

The problem is: The extension NEVER takes into consideration the "Party Size" Adjustment to the multiplier.
The problem with this is, the extension will work perfectly for a party containing 3 - 5 characters. But according to the DMG p83 under "Party Size". This calculations are wrong when having less than 3 players or more than 5 because it doesn't take into consideration the Party Size.

I'm no programmer or anything but I would strongly suggest to modify the extension's code to account for this.

Cheers!

Fudly
December 12th, 2016, 07:34
My apologies SirArion. I read your reply on my phone and then forgot all about it. I think your issue was caused by having character sheets on your combat tracker that don't have a level. The extension now ignores allied characters that don't have a level when determining party difficulty (but it still includes them for adjusting the party size multiplier). I'm not happy about ignoring them, but I don't have any idea what xp to add for them.

whiteTiki: Good catch. I don't think I've ever read the party size adjustment section of the formula. It does that now.

SirArion
December 14th, 2016, 01:59
Thanks Fudly, at least knowing what is causing it lets me work around it. We have a familiar on the Combat Tracker. I will pull it to use the Calculator properly.

Fudly
December 14th, 2016, 21:40
Thanks Fudly, at least knowing what is causing it lets me work around it. We have a familiar on the Combat Tracker. I will pull it to use the Calculator properly.

If I wasn't clear, I updated the extension to fix that issue. Redownload it.

Slalom
January 10th, 2017, 19:48
I get this error when i have enable the .ext
When i disable the .ext the error disappears.
Any thoughts?
Ruleset 5e

Fudly
January 10th, 2017, 21:58
I get this error when i have enable the .ext
When i disable the .ext the error disappears.
Any thoughts?
Ruleset 5e

I would guess that there is a problem with one of the token images you have set for a monster in an encounter you're trying to add to the combat tracker, but I have no idea what problem that could be. Does it do that for every encounter or just that one? I assume your fantasy grounds is fully patched?

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2017, 23:10
You are trying to add a token to an image which doesn't exist. Looks like the encounter is trying to place the Tokens onto a map it can't find. Either the map is misnamed or doesn't exist. Pretty sure that's the problem anyway

Trenloe
January 10th, 2017, 23:29
Some further info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36034-Add-Encounter-Error&p=313338&viewfull=1#post313338

rob2e
April 2nd, 2017, 00:07
It appears as though this extension messes with the random encounters (the generate button doesn't appear).

ghilteras
April 12th, 2017, 00:28
It appears as though this extension messes with the random encounters (the generate button doesn't appear).

can we confirm this? I wish to know if it's safe to download

Fudly
April 12th, 2017, 00:52
It does seem to prevent the generate button from appearing for some reason. I'm afraid my campaign is ending Monday, and I don't have the time or interest to fix this right now. Someone else will have to. Sorry.

Caethial
September 26th, 2017, 20:31
Any chance of getting this updated for 3.2.2?

Bidmaron
September 26th, 2017, 20:48
Hopefully 3.3.2

Caethial
September 26th, 2017, 22:29
Yes, that’s what I meant, stupid phone keyboards

BubbaGrim
October 1st, 2017, 19:38
I'm sad to see this one die, I have a Saturday night game I DM that has wildly fluctuating members. This EXT was great for changing the CR on the fly.

Sacksquatch
March 17th, 2018, 00:38
Are deadly and super deadly backwards? Super deadly shows up at 1500, and deadly at 1600.

Fudly
March 18th, 2018, 18:01
Are deadly and super deadly backwards? Super deadly shows up at 1500, and deadly at 1600.

I'm not able to reproduce this. How many people are in your party, what levels are they, and what encounters are you making?

Sacksquatch
March 18th, 2018, 20:44
There were 4 level 3s. Now that there are 3 level 4s, and 1 level 3. It's righted itself.

Olog
May 25th, 2018, 20:48
I have updated this extension. See this post:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43977-5E-Encounter-Calc-(updated)

vonklaude
August 29th, 2018, 11:43
MODERATOR: Now includes updated v3.2.0 compatible version.

I updated hereander's extension. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26180-Posting-chat-message-only-to-myself&p=233194&viewfull=1#post233194)

How it works:
Put the attachment in your fantasy ground's extensions folder. On my computer that is:

C:\Users\Fudly\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions

Activate the extension for your campaign

Choose whether you want to get party levels from the combat tracker or the party sheet.

To use this, as you're creating a new encounter, click the refresh button to update the XP total, and then press "Encounter Difficulty" to output the difficulty of the encounter to chat.

This is a little different from hereander's. I don't know which formula he was using to calculate difficulty. We calculate it the DMG way now. Also, I added a "super deadly" category which is another difficulty level harder than deadly.
With my vet players, most of my encounters are in "super-deadly" unfortunately! Is there a way to adjust the multipliers for number of foes? I find those bloat out the encounter strength far more than they should.

Also, is there any way to just tell it to use some offset from my PCs level, like +1, +2 etc? I find that's quite a quick way to ratchet the difficulties up from the 5e baseline of "new player friendly".