PDA

View Full Version : Free tokens

Jonthekilr
July 10th, 2016, 07:16
Hey so i'm new to D&D and i spent about 8 hours just looking up tokens and adding them to my fantasy grounds collection so to save any other new people some time i compressed all the tokens i found and put them in a zip folder.
I didnt make or nor do i own any of these tokens they were all being given away on sites for free.
Just use a program like Winrar to unzip the files.

Moderated: Attachments removed.

Jonthekilr
July 10th, 2016, 07:18
I also have 5 more i couldn't attach in the main document
I hope this helps anyone and if you find any other free tokens or free token sites be sure to link and attach them here

I'm looking for some Fantasy style bandits if anyone has some of those.

Moderated: Attachments removed.

damned
July 10th, 2016, 08:21
Hey Jonthekilr you will have to take these down. It is perfectly ok to do this for your own use but unless you own the images or have permission to distribute them you cant do this.

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2016, 08:57
Indeed. Whilst those tokens are free for your own use you cannot distribute them.

seycyrus
July 10th, 2016, 12:05
Can he tell us where he got them?

dulux-oz
July 10th, 2016, 12:29
I don't know how close that would be to saying he's distributing them - what's the difference between a typed url and a "live" url (apart from the "https://" in front).

The issue is that there are a number of copyright/distribution/etc deals between SmiteWorks and various Game Publishers, and more (potentially) in the works - do we as a Community want to jeopardize any chances we may have of being able to work with the material that belongs to these other companies by "pushing the copyright boundaries"? Up to now, my understanding has been that the Community prefers to take a very conservative "hands off" approach so as to absolutely minimize any potential risk in this.

I'm sure other will weigh in with their opinions as well :)

damned
July 10th, 2016, 12:36
Many of the tokens that were posted are posted as being usable by others so I dont think posting links to the pages (as opposed to the images) would be problematic - unless those pages were also collections of other peoples works without attribution. There are plenty of people who offer RPG tokens and art for free - like the wonderful Devin Knight (https://immortalnights.com/tokenpage.html) - but you should get them from the source and you should not redistribute them without permission.

Judgement
July 10th, 2016, 12:49
When The Space Opera tokens are around 200 at least, I am sure some of the games that have less tokens could be made by mister Devin. I know a few people who would be more then willing to add to VTT game collections.

Varsuuk
July 11th, 2016, 07:29
I would say if someone has legit sources for tokens they could post links or in lieu of that if there is a technicality issue? Post descriptive search to find them.
Of course, this is presuming the issue is distributing copied/attached tokens of freely-usable tokens but where the owner might prefer you to visit their site - e.g, the tokens are an incitement for hit counts or to see things they sell etc?