PDA

View Full Version : How do you run combat (1e/OSRIC)

doseyclwn
July 9th, 2016, 15:18
Been a long time since I played, and I had forgotten that 1e combat (as written) is pretty complicated, and I don't remember running it like that. I'd be interested to hear how others run combat.

JohnD
July 9th, 2016, 16:01
It's been a long time but I always used weapon speeds and weapon vs armor type.

I think you can download a free OSRIC rulebook as well. PM me if you want that.

Varsuuk
July 9th, 2016, 21:11
I remember totally missing weaponspeed/weap vs Armor tables when 2e came out.

I remember, other than for a few scattered times when folk wanted to RP something (like my Hammer Paladin of Tyr), you would look at the weaps and certain ones in your known weapon categories just stood out as the obvious choice.

Gone also was my fun habit of carrying an alternate weapon for certain heavily plated foes on my Fighter who used a less suitable weapon primarily (it escapes me which now)

I used to see a lot more variety in weapons in the 70s/early 80s days than post 2E coming out.

yeknom
July 10th, 2016, 10:13
I remember totally missing weaponspeed/weap vs Armor tables when 2e came out.

I remember, other than for a few scattered times when folk wanted to RP something (like my Hammer Paladin of Tyr), you would look at the weaps and certain ones in your known weapon categories just stood out as the obvious choice.

Gone also was my fun habit of carrying an alternate weapon for certain heavily plated foes on my Fighter who used a less suitable weapon primarily (it escapes me which now)

I used to see a lot more variety in weapons in the 70s/early 80s days than post 2E coming out.

2e had weapon speeds and an armor vs weapon table. The weapons speeds were the same value as in 1e but the initiative system was different. The weapon vs armor table was significantly changed. The Player's Option book Combat and Tactics introduced an even greater variety in the way weapons worked vs. armor, as did the arms&equipment guide but not quite the individual tables that 1e had. I remember both fondly though. :)

Been a long time since I played, and I had forgotten that 1e combat (as written) is pretty complicated, and I don't remember running it like that. I'd be interested to hear how others run combat.

For 1e it can be found on page 61 of the 1st edition AD&D DMG, but it is something like this: See if anyone is surprised, see how far apart they are, if both groups are not surprised roll initiative, a d6 is rolled for initiative for each side (though it allows for rolling separately for smaller groups or special situations as the DM sees fit) with the higher side winning; if there are multiple attacks they go first and third for the winning group and 2nd and last for the losing group.

Spellcasting in combat is a little different. Spell casters have to note what spells they are casting before initiative is determined, attacks directed at the spellcaster come at the appropriate segment/opponents initiative die, whichever is applicable. Casters do not gain their Dexterity bonus to avoid being hit and any successful attack or non-saved against attack upon the spell caster interrupts the spell.

doseyclwn
July 10th, 2016, 14:31
Would I be correct in assuming that spellcasters can only cast once per round?

yeknom
July 10th, 2016, 14:33
Would I be correct in assuming that spellcasters can only cast once per round?

Yeah