PDA

View Full Version : Cthulhu Britannica London Boxset

NotRussellCrowe
July 9th, 2016, 01:08
So this isn't FG-related but seems to be a good place to ask the question: anyone picked up or even flipped through the London boxset of Cthulhu Britannica by Crucible 7? Was looking at it recently and my wife and I are really liking the idea of Cthulhu in London, curious what everyone's thoughts were. I also liked what I read about the Scotland supplement they have too so any thoughts on that or any other of the Cthulhu Britannica products would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelly

Trenloe
July 9th, 2016, 09:13
The London Boxed set is an excellent product, the production values are fantastic and the gaming material (both setting background and scenarios) are excellent. Well worth picking up.

"The Curse of Nineveh" campaign that builds on the boxed set is excellent too. Well put together and great story.

The books are great material. Just be aware that the Cthulhu Britannica book scenarios are spread across different time periods. Still good scenarios, but their use might be limited if you concentrate on one time period. Most of the scenarios could be converted to other time periods, with the exception of the last one. The pregen characters that come with each scenario make these perfect for one-off games.

Shadows over Scotland is a very good book - large (288 pages) with good background material and nice scenarios.

The other books provide cool background material too.

All in all, if you're interested in running Call of Cthulhu in Britain then they are all great sourcebooks.

NotRussellCrowe
July 9th, 2016, 13:47
Just be aware that the Cthulhu Britannica book scenarios are spread across different time periods. Still good scenarios, but their use might be limited if you concentrate on one time period. Most of the scenarios could be converted to other time periods, with the exception of the last one.

Thank you, Trenloe!!

I think I'd keep them in the 1920's but maybe fudge them into 1890's Victorian, especially since I read they are going to release a new version of Gaslight with 7e :)

Have to wait and see. So much in that boxset to read but looks great to me, looking forward to it. First things first, need to learn CoC so I can run the games!

NotRussellCrowe
July 30th, 2016, 00:10
Trenloe, my London boxset came today. I don't have a lot of time to look through it but my wife and I took 10 minutes and flipped through the books and checked out the maps. What a gorgeous box set, very high quality! I do plan on picking up The Curse of Nineveh eventually but likely after I've got the Keepers rulebook and have run through the adventures that came with London.

Thanks again for your advice

Trenloe
July 30th, 2016, 02:14
Thanks again for your advice
No worries at all. Glad your initial impressions are so good. You've got me flicking through it again... :)

Cearlan
July 30th, 2016, 23:07
I got the .pdf's of the London boxset awhile ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it as well as the Curse of Nineveh and the two books to go with it (Reginald Campbell Thompson and Neve Selcibuc) as well as most of the other cubicle7's CoC books. I cannot speak highly enough of their quality. Spent the last two or three days going over the campaign again and seeing how it could be better integrated into the boxset, other than the obvious links e.g. British Library.

NotRussellCrowe
July 30th, 2016, 23:09
What are the books Reginald Campbell Thompson and Neve Selcibuc?

dberkompas
July 31st, 2016, 08:21
https://cubicle7.co.uk/the-journal-of-neve-selcibuc-and-the-journal-of-reginald-campbell-thompson-available-to-preorder-now/

NotRussellCrowe
July 31st, 2016, 11:25
https://cubicle7.co.uk/the-journal-of-neve-selcibuc-and-the-journal-of-reginald-campbell-thompson-available-to-preorder-now/

Thank you very much!

Cearlan
August 1st, 2016, 11:26
Sorry about that - I should have been clearer in my post ;-(

NotRussellCrowe
August 1st, 2016, 12:03
It's all good, no worries!