PDA

View Full Version : New to online play

Jakers
July 8th, 2016, 17:24
Hello all, I'm new to online play and am looking for a group to play specifically adventure league play on Sundays. I'm in the central time zone and am having a tough time finding games with room on Alonlinetools that don't start at 2 am or the likes for me. I'm also available Weeknights after 6pm central if someone has room but with two kids and a wife I dont know if I would be able to consistently make those time slots every week so Sundays (or Saturday late night 8pm or after) would work the best for me. If your party has a spot open and needs someone to fill or you are looking to expand your party I would love to join you :D.

Zacchaeus
July 8th, 2016, 18:29
Hi Jakers, welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the Community.

Generally, as I understand it, you need to come to the DM rather than the DM coming to you. So keep a close eye on this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-LFG-Looking-for-Group) and also check out the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?sort=name&sortdir=ascending&ruleset=D%26D+Adventure+League&sort=name&sortdir=ascending) where there is actually a couple of Adventure League games being advertised now; although I don't know if they suit your timezone. Additionally you may want to consider broadening out your horizons a little. I don't know what is different about Adventure League games but there are probably a lot more normal 5e games around

Jakers
July 8th, 2016, 19:10
Well currently I'm preparing for GenCon and to play in most of the D&D events there you need to have an adventure league character. I'm pretty new to adventure league still so I dont have anything leveled high enough to take part in anything yet. I'm open to 5e in general but right now my focus is on AL until after GenCon. I will keep an eye on the calendar and the lfg thread though.

Brynnan
July 12th, 2016, 04:59
...having a tough time finding games with room on Alonlinetools...

On ALOnlineTools, the games overbook weeks ahead, but as people play most don't show up. I know that Michael Gasser always has a game on Sundays nights not too late. He may show 22 some odd people, but by time end of the week, many of the people have already played that module and don't remove the reservation. So, go on and sign up for any game and time slot, and show up and you will very often get to play. Plus, the rules for ALOT is that people that have not played the Adventure get seated first, ahead of people that have already played with other characters. So take that into account too.

Welcome to online play...

Jakers
July 15th, 2016, 22:46
I've noticed most of the games are 5-10. I only have a lvl 3 character almost 4. Should I still sign up for whatever is in my available time frame to see if I can join? The online selection for tier 1 characters is pretty slim. Even the 1-10 games say they are for lvl 5+ characters.

Brynnan
July 16th, 2016, 05:21
A lot of the focus right now is on the Season 4 Quest of the Week, which is playing the Season 4 modules in order, so right now a lot of the games on ALOnlineTools is 5-10. If you can get into a 1-4 game, and make it to Level 4, then you can use Downtime days to slide up to Level 5.

Season 4 is coming to a close and Season 5 doesn't start until the first of September, so there should be several choices in a couple of weeks.

I'll bring up this up on the team. There should always be 1-4 games available.

Jakers
July 17th, 2016, 00:04
Thanks for the info and assistance. I'll be keeping an eye out for any games I can make it to and just see if I can get my character to level 4.

Rhineglade
August 6th, 2016, 18:24
I've noticed that too. I've played D&D since 1st edition but this is my first time playing 5th edition and my first time playing Fantasy Grounds. Are there "beginners" games with patient DMs to help guide us? I'd hate to sign up for a game and slow everyone down because I don't know what I'm doing.

JohnD
August 6th, 2016, 22:33
I've noticed that too. I've played D&D since 1st edition but this is my first time playing 5th edition and my first time playing Fantasy Grounds. Are there "beginners" games with patient DMs to help guide us? I'd hate to sign up for a game and slow everyone down because I don't know what I'm doing.

Don't worry about that. Just get yourself in a game - most people are cool with talking a beginner along after all we were all there with FG at one time or another and people are generally pretty helpful.

Welcome! :)