PDA

View Full Version : Equipment packs, encumbrance and the PHB DD

El Condoro
July 7th, 2016, 01:48
Just a nit-picking question about the weights given in the PHB DD for the various equipment packs. I used a spreadsheet to calculate the weights of each from the basic details given in the PHB and the ones given in the FG PHB DD do not add up.

Burglar's PHB 48; DD 50 (about right) compared to the much heavier packs - dungeoneer's and explorer's - it seems the burglars in the party will travel very heavily for some reason.
Diplomat PHB 35; DD 20 (?)
Dungeoneer PHB 62; DD 35 (?) this is a big difference
Entertainer PHB 43; DD 30 (?)
Explorer PHB 58; DD 35 (?) another big variation
Priest PHB 21; DD 20 (about right)
Scholar PHB 5; DD 15 (?) the only one that is not in the PC's favour

As I said, it's nit-picking and not everyone cares about encumbrance but I thought I'd ask how the numbers were arrived at anyway. If my calculations are wrong, please let me know.

[facepalm] This is another of those times I wish I had experimented a bit more (and there was a delete post function here) - when the pack is dragged and dropped onto the character sheet Inventory tab, the weights are calculated correctly. Sorry to waste your time.

Zacchaeus
July 7th, 2016, 09:14
Interesting. I'm not entirely sure how the figures in the PHB are worked out since there's no weight figures actually given in the text file. Looks like par5e might be doing the calculation and it might therefore be that the small figures for things like paper etc are being rounded up to whole numbers. At any rate as you say it is correct when the pack is dropped onto the PC. One thing I did notice was that your calculation for the Scholar's pack is wrong since both the book and the backpack each weigh 5lbs. Adding in the smaller items (rounded up to whole numbers) would give the 15lbs and that's why I suspect the light weights are being rounded.