PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway around the "Network error during host license check"?

Fudly
July 6th, 2016, 06:48
I'm trying to play D&D around a table at my friend's house tomorrow. The laptop I planned on hosting with (since it has the biggest screen) happens to run windows xp which can't connect to a wpa2 wireless network because it's old (but otherwise runs fantasy grounds ok). I figured whatever, rather than mess up every devise in the house by changing the network encryption we'll use my old router for a local network. I manage to locate my router, 4 ethernet cables, build everyone's character, and everything looks like it'll work great. Then, I try it, and the clients have to verify the host's key.

My options seem to be:
1) Mess up the house's networking.
2) Waste a lot of our limited time tomorrow configuring a bunch of laptops with various versions of windows and mac os to get internet from the wireless while remaining connected to the ethernet (if that's even possible).
3) Play with paper.

Even if I go through the hoops to get that working, next week we're supposed to play at my other friend's parent's house, and her father is so paranoid about network security that he only allows family on the network.

dulux-oz
July 6th, 2016, 07:03
The FG Clients only need to connect to the Internet/FG Server if they are running the Free/Demo version - if everyone is running Full/Ultimate then no Internet Connect is required.

I'd suggest either Option 4 or 5:
4) Have everyone upgrade to Full Licenses, even if only via a 1 month subscription (about $3, I think)
5) Run the FG Host on a computer which can access the Internet

Fudly
July 6th, 2016, 08:14
I'm not buying licenses when I just bought the ultimate edition so that my friends wouldn't have to buy licenses.

Nor am I particularly interested in trading my 14" screen for 12" when the game begs for multiple monitors.

It's not that hard to configure comps to prioritize wireless over ethernet. This post explains how for windows:
https://superuser.com/a/1046116

and this explains it for a mac:
https://www.macworld.com/article/3039842/macs/can-you-use-wi-fi-and-ethernet-on-a-mac-at-the-same-time.html

It works on my windows laptop, but the mac attempts to connect forever (the server says nothing about the mac connecting in the chat log).

damned
July 6th, 2016, 09:20
The Ultimate license will connect without internet connection but the demo clients require internet connection upon joining the server/host. Once connected they no longer require connection.
So one way or another you will need to allow this to happen.

If you attach your old routers WAN port to the current networks LAN and you connect all the players computers via Ethernet or Wifi to that router they should all be able to do the license check.
Some routers will also let you run a WEP network as well as your WPA one.
Other than that you may be out of luck.

midas
July 6th, 2016, 14:48
If you attach your old routers WAN port to the current networks LAN and you connect all the players computers via Ethernet or Wifi to that router they should all be able to do the license check.

+1 to this. This is what I've done in cases such as yours (non-FG cases, just general IT situations where I needed a Windows XP machine to be online for some reason but couldn't connect to the standard wifi and didn't want to run a network cable to wherever the core network equipment was).

Nylanfs
July 6th, 2016, 16:09
4) Have everyone upgrade to Full Licenses, even if only via a 1 month subscription (about $3, I think)

I would think that any subscription would also require checking that subscription to verify sub status.

damned
July 7th, 2016, 05:26
Yep - as Nylanfs says - all the subs require internet connectivity.

Nylanfs
July 7th, 2016, 18:07
Initial connection, I believe that Doug and John has said it's only done upon connection to a campaign.

damned
July 8th, 2016, 00:26
Initial connection, I believe that Doug and John has said it's only done upon connection to a campaign.

It doesnt need the connection to the license server for the duration of the whole session but it needs to verify it every session.
It would be good if it would remember the verification for 21 days or similar for cases where there is a license server issue.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2016, 22:18
...all the subs require internet connectivity.
I'm not sure about this. I thought the license file check for valid subscriptions was only during an FG update?

damned
July 8th, 2016, 23:55
I'm not sure about this. I thought the license file check for valid subscriptions was only during an FG update?

I dont know the answer for sue either but I believe John or Doug chimed in on a similar post and said that subscriptions would not be a good solution where the players were not internet connected.