PDA

View Full Version : PFC #3-08 Among the Gods (CORE)

d1wright
July 6th, 2016, 03:04
A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for Levels 3–7.

The Pathfinder Society sends the PCs to the mountaintop mausoleum and monument known as Antios's Crown in search of a long-lost relic believed to be contained there, but all is not as it seems. Can the Pathfinders survive the denizens of the remote mountain complex and the sinister plot of a powerful cultists who plans revenge on the Society that has foiled their plans one too many times?

Written by Michael Kenway.

Sign up on the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2085) and post your character information to this thread to reserve your space.

NOTE: This game will be run as part of the CORE Campaign. As part of the CORE Campaign, ONLY core characters may be played, see the Guide for the specifics.

This game will be Friday July 8th at 2pm Eastern time.

Blackfoot
July 6th, 2016, 07:17
I'm toying with the idea of bringing Gurgleplunk on this one instead of Zwootwick... I'll let you know which one is coming today or tomorrow.

cmdisc
July 6th, 2016, 08:45
Fengard will be along for this. He is happy to see many of his adventuring companions again and is eager to try out his new abilities and show off his newly improved animal friend. Gorduvo is so big and strong now. And the 10ft reach with Combat Reflexes doesn't hurt either. ;)

Edit: FYI Dave, you might want to make sure this gets posted in the Announcement Thread so folks will get notification of it.

Blackfoot
July 6th, 2016, 09:15
We could probably use some sort of trap guy if this is anything like the last one.

cmdisc
July 6th, 2016, 10:15
Something to consider.

Poor Fengard. :(

And just so you know, this particular scenario got terrible reviews and is considered to be comfortably among the "screw the player" scenarios. So play at your own risk. But I trust that Dave will be fair.

....then again, maybe I want to bring a pregen to this one. :p

Blackfoot
July 6th, 2016, 10:37
Maybe we should all play pregen Rogues.

Farnaby
July 6th, 2016, 22:08
I'll bring Neeha along and spam summon monster to get the traps :)

cmdisc
July 6th, 2016, 22:19
I'm thinking I may need to bring Mortimer along for this. I was hoping to bring Fengard because of his current XP total. My goal was to hit 13xp by the time we wrapped up the PRE-tournament portion of things. The POST section contains 18 scenarios currently and I would have needed 17 of those in order to end our Season 3 run with 30xp exactly so he's lined up for the Module that gives 3, ending him at exactly 33 where he could begin the Seeker portion of things if he ever decided to go that route.

Bringing Mortimer means I'll just have to either hit all 18 scenarios or I'll have to find extra games to make up for whatever I miss. Not a big deal at this time.

I need to go over Mortimer's xml before posting it. I'll do that within the next 24 hours or so as time allows.

cmdisc
July 6th, 2016, 22:21
I'll bring Neeha along and spam summon monster to get the traps :)

The only problem there is that SM lasts so little time that we'd have to first know where the traps are. Sending a monster running down the hall is one thing. Running them all around a dungeon or days on end of overland travel would be problematic.

cmdisc
July 6th, 2016, 22:21
Edit: double post

*grumble, grumble*

Blackfoot
July 6th, 2016, 23:06
The only problem there is that SM lasts so little time that we'd have to first know where the traps are. Sending a monster running down the hall is one thing. Running them all around a dungeon or days on end of overland travel would be problematic.That might be cool if we have good Perception.

cmdisc
July 6th, 2016, 23:13
Fengard is sitting on a +8. Mortimer has a +10 for traps with another +5 from those Eagle goggles.

Nemori
July 7th, 2016, 01:28
Corneliu would like to sign up as well. He's been already among the dead, among the living, so why not among the gods?

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 09:47
Although Mortimer has a better Perception, we're really lacking in combat Strength. Between a knowledgeable Wizard, a healing Cleric, a caster Druid and his pet, we don't have a front line of any sort.

Fengard and Gorduvo (now improved) can offer something toward that end, although it would be nice to have a 5th person along who can help take some of the heat off Fengard on the front. He doesn't have the AC like Lucia or the Hpts like Vul'gar to hold the front on his own.

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 14:45
Considering that this is a Season 3 game that doesn't have a 4-person adjustment, does anyone see an issue with running this with just 4? Regardless of what level BF's character is, we are sitting at an APL of 5 (once rounded) which means for a table size of 4-5, we MUST play the 3-4 subtier.

From what I remember of the reviews, this is a particularly difficult scenario (one reviewer put it so poetically as saying "Imagine fighting 8-armed monkeys that can see in the dark and breath water while you're trapped in a dark cavern that is flooded"). So having 4th and 5th level characters in a 3-4 may not be a terrible thing....especially if we are lacking a dedicated trap spotter and have a glass cannon as our only front-liner.

I don't have a problem switching to Mortimer for traps and assisting in combat, but we're really going to need someone up front if I do. The cleric, druid, or wizard up there isn't going to cut it. And if we don't have anyone else come along, we can always consider postponing this until we can get a little more firepower.

Thoughts?

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 15:19
I don't have any sort of tank character that's at level. I could play Valeros. Otherwise we're talking Zwootwick the Charming (Level 5) or Gurgleplunk riding Hoot (Level 4)... who fulfill similar roles to Neeha and Fengard. Neither are awesome when it comes to reflex saves... Gurgleplunk is quite a bit better at noticing things.

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 18:29
I don't think we need to worry too much about pregens...

...although if we all agreed to bring pregens to this, that would be sort of funny.

I'm just hoping a 5th person will show up because I'm not sure how 4 of us will do with no front line or a glass cannon at the lead and no trap spotter.

Nemori
July 7th, 2016, 18:49
Corneliu has +11 perception, +12 with Guidance, I'm not sure if that's very reliable for spotting. Mortimer's goggles are from a chronicle or are they CORE?

I have to say that I feel quite uneasy without a strong barrister in the party :-)

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 19:20
Solid legal council is a good thing.

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 19:31
+11 is very good for 4th level. Eyes of the Eagle are core items that cost 2,500gp. They give +5 to Perception, so while Taking 10, having Guidance running, and being Aided by someone else, you could hit a 29 on your check, which "should" catch just about anything in a 3-4 subtier game. But if I bring Mortimer to loan them to you, then we don't have any front line. If I bring Fengard for the front line, then I don't have the goggles to loan you (and Fengard doesn't have the coin to buy them). So unless someone else is willing to bring a front liner or buy the goggles, we're short one of those.

Regarding Fengard on the front line; with Gorduvo along and if Hoot is set to defend the shape-changing dwarf, then I think the 3 of them could handle taking point in a fight.

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 19:32
Solid legal council is a good thing.

He might be in court that day, though. We haven't heard from him in what?....a year of gametime? :p

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 20:01
If I were to bring Gurgleplunk and Mortimer were to attend... Gurgleplunk has a fair number of HP and a 19 AC without Barkskin.. plus wild shape as an option...
Actually, if we were looking for someone to avoid taking damage 'in a fight' either of my guys would be pretty decent. Zwoot can pull out a 29 AC with Shield, Mage Armor, and Total Defense... plus he's got 42 hps... not nearly as many as the barrister.. but not bad. Gurgleplunk only has 33hp and can (at best) pull out a 25 AC with Barkskin and Total Defense.. Hoot can take a pretty good hit though.. 38 hp and 24 AC with Barkskin.

Hrm.. I really need to figure out this Wild Shape stuff if I seriously plan on bringing Gurgleplunk tomorrow... hrm.

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 20:13
I don't think you need to worry about that too much. As I said, Fengard could cover the front line with Gorduvo and Hoot. The key here would be how to pump Corneliu's Perception score. We can't pool funds to buy those Goggles, so someone would have to spring for them. Or we find other options if we think it's important enough to try.

But I think the front line is more important than trapfinding.

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 22:18
Fengard's info. I'll send Mortimer's if that becomes pertinent.

Waiting on his Chronicle from Farnaby.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 22:27
So I've been reviewing 'how' to set up Wild Shape effects for Gurgleplunk.. and since this applies to Fengard right now... I thought I'd share.
For a SMALL Character to use a Medium Wild Shape this effect works properly:
Medium Wild Shape;STR:2 size;AC:2 natural;ATK:-1 size;AC:-1 size;CMD:2 size;CMB:2 size
For a MEDIUM Character to use a Small Wild Shape this effect works properly:
Small Wild Shape;DEX:2 size;AC:1 natural;ATK:1 size;AC:1 size;CMD:-2 size;CMB:-2 size

The other effect is much simpler.
For a SMALL Character to use a Small Wild Shape this effect works properly:
Small Wild Shape;DEX:2 size;AC:1 natural
For a MEDIUM Character to use a Medium Wild Shape this effect works properly:
Medium Wild Shape;STR:2 size;AC:2 natural

Did Fengard get these right? The ATK/AC bonuses/penalties stack incorrectly with CMB/CMD so you need to double the CMB/CMD bonuses/penalties.
You SHOULD be getting a net +/-2 bonus/penalty to CMB/CMD when you are actually changing size.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 22:29
Oh.. and similar effects should be applied when changing size using Enlarge/Reduce Person or Alter Self... depending on what size character you are starting with.

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 22:53
Why do you have CMB and CMD with +/- 2 for one size change?

Edit: Just so folks know, multiple polymorph effects don't stack. So a druid in Wildshape can't also be affected by Enlarge/Reduce Person unless he allows that to take precedent and cancel his wildshape. I think there's also something about a Druid changed against his will can just Wildshape out of it into one of his forms.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 22:56
They don't stack right.
ATK and AC really shouldn't be adding to CMB and CMD.. but they do... so you have to double the CMB/CMD to offset the penalties. Try it.. you SHOULD have a net +2 to CMD/CMB in the end.

+/-1 from STR and +/-1 from size

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 23:01
One other thing to note, the Natural Armor bonus gained from Wildshaping is Base Natural Armor. So Barkskin WILL stack with it since that offers an enhancement bonus. This becomes a problem with the Effects section, though, since it can't tell the difference between them and just sees the Natural Bonus. So any adjustment needs to be done manually.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 23:02
Actually.. it's a little different for Medium to Small...
Small Wild Shape;DEX:2 size;AC:1 natural;ATK:1 size;AC:1 size;CMD:-2 size;CMB:-2 size
The net effect is -1 since there is not strength modifier... AC:1 + CMD:-2 = CMD:-1 --- ATK:1 + CMB:-2 = CMB:-1

cmdisc
July 7th, 2016, 23:05
They don't stack right.
ATK and AC really shouldn't be adding to CMB and CMD.. but they do... so you have to double the CMB/CMD to offset the penalties. Try it.. you SHOULD have a net +2 to CMD/CMB in the end.

+/-1 from STR and +/-1 from size

So the size bonus to ATK is stacking with the size penalty to CMB netting a Net Attack of +1 but a Net CMB of +0? That's odd.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 23:07
One other thing to note, the Natural Armor bonus gained from Wildshaping is Base Natural Armor. So Barkskin WILL stack with it since that offers an enhancement bonus. This becomes a problem with the Effects section, though, since it can't tell the difference between them and just sees the Natural Bonus. So any adjustment needs to be done manually.Yeah.. you are right there. Small Wild Shape + Barkskin SHOULD net a +4 to AC... but using 'normal' effects they only come up to +3 (1 DEX + ... Hrm.. gonna try something... nope didn't work... +2 natural) should be +3 natural.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 23:08
So the size bonus to ATK is stacking with the size penalty to CMB netting a Net Attack of +1 but a Net CMB of +0? That's odd.Yeah.. it's an FG bug/error.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 23:09
Effects in general are really awesome.. but they aren't perfect.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 23:14
Sorry.. me again.. Medium -> Small SHOULD net a -0 CMD since your DEX increase offsets the Size Penalty. If you do it with -1 CMD instead of -2 .. then you actually come out with a +1 CMD from going from Medium -> Small in FG.. which isn't right.
Medium -> Small is a little more messy than Small -> Medium. .. at least in terms of the explaining.

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 23:27
I also compiled this list of Small and Medium Core Creatures with their attacks:
Small:
Dire Rat - Bite: 1d4 - run 40ft., climb 20ft., swim 20ft. - scent
Eel - Bite: 1d6 - swim 30ft.
Eagle - Bite: 1d4 - 2 Talons: 1d4 - fly 30ft.
Octopus - Bite: 1d3 - swim 30ft.
Small Dog - Bite: 1d4 - run 40ft. - scent
Velociraptor - Bite: 1d4-2 Talons: 1d6-Secondary Claws: 1d3 - run 60ft. - scent

Medium:
Black Bear - Bite: 1d4 2 - Claws: 1d4 - run 40ft. - scent
Boar - Gore: 1d8 - run 40ft. - scent
Cheetah - Bite: 1d6 - 2 Claws: 1d3 - run 50ft. - scent
Chimpanzee/Orangutan - 2 Slams: 1d4 - run 30ft., climb 30ft. - scent
Deinonychus - Bite: 1d6-2 Talons: 1d8-Secondary Claws: 1d4 - run 60ft. - scent
Dolphin - Slam: 1d4 - swim 30ft.
Giant Frog - Bite: 1d6 - swim 30ft. - scent
Goblin Dog - Bite: 1d6 - run 50ft. - scent
Hyena - Bite: 1d6 - run 50ft. - scent
Leopard - Bite: 1d6 - 2 Claws: 1d3 - run 30ft., climb 20ft. - scent
Medium Dog - Bite: 1d6 - run 40ft. - scent
Monitor Lizard - Bite: 1d8 - swim 30ft. - scent
Pony - 2 Hooves: 1d3 - run 40ft. - scent
Snake, Constrictor - Bite: 1d4 - run 20ft., climb 20ft., swim 20ft. - scent
Snake, Venomous - Bite: 1d4 - run 20ft., climb 20ft., swim 20ft. - scent
Squid - Bite: 1d3 - Tentacles: 1d4 - swim 30ft.
Wolf - Bite: 1d6 - run 50ft. - scent
Wolverine - Bite: 1d4 - 2 Claws: 1d6 - climb 10ft. - scent

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2016, 23:49
I'm still on the fence as to who to bring. Gurg definitely has the better perception and more raw combat power... on the other hand ... Zwoot can be pretty game changing and has a good AC/HP.
(Waiting on Chronicle from Farnaby for Zwootwick)

Nemori
July 8th, 2016, 01:27
Sadly, I won't have enough money for the goggles either, but I can at least patch people up, if we miss some trap :D

Here's the XML although I'm also waiting for the chronicle.

cmdisc
July 8th, 2016, 08:50
Adjusted the numbers with Fengard and tested them. Everything should be working.

When the frontline is solid, I think Zwoot is an important facet to a group. With it so-so this time around, I'm thinking Gurg (whether he casts or wildshapes) and Hoot would help to shore up a needed area.

If no one can afford the goggles, then we just go with hoping a +14 (or one +12 and another +?) is enough to spot what we need to.

cmdisc
July 8th, 2016, 08:56
FYI, for Fengard I have Leopard and Deinonycous prepped as standard fighting forms; the dino is for pure damage output and speed while the cat offers some climbing and a grab ability. Eagle is for flying and Squid for swimming. He's also purchased a Druid's Vestment, so he gets 2 shapes per day.

Blackfoot
July 8th, 2016, 09:00
I don't think you get 'grab' with Beast Shape I.. Only: If the form you assume has any of the following abilities, you gain the listed ability: climb 30 feet, fly 30 feet (average maneuverability), swim 30 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, and scent.

Grab comes with Beast Shape II... If the form you assume has any of the following abilities, you gain the listed ability: climb 60 feet, fly 60 feet (good maneuverability), swim 60 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, grab, pounce, and trip.

cmdisc
July 8th, 2016, 11:30
Doh, that's right. Was overflow information when I was looking at Tiger form for Beastshape II.

That's ok. I wasn't a fan of Grab anyway. The last thing I want to do when confronted by multiple targets is be involved in a grapple.

Blackfoot
July 8th, 2016, 12:36
I believe that if Fengard were to wild shape into a chimpanzee or orangutan he could communicate with Gorduvo with the need for Speak to Animals. I know that Gurgleplunk can do so when shifted into Boar form.
A druid loses her ability to speak while in animal form because she is limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make, but she can communicate normally with other animals of the same general grouping as her new form.What General Grouping means is kinda vague.. but I would think that your various ape alternatives would work fine.

Farnaby
July 8th, 2016, 17:45
Here's Neeha,

sorry about the lateness.

Link to chronicle: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byi37alIzB4rM3QtNGl0Yk13Mm9IWlpfSThFNDNma k1SME9R

d1wright
July 8th, 2016, 18:02
Server is up. Game in an hour.

scrawny keep daring goon

Nemori
July 9th, 2016, 01:58
Thanks for the game, it was fun.

cmdisc
July 9th, 2016, 09:28
I have to say this scenario was not as terrible as the reviews lead one to believe. Yes there were some "gotcha" moments, but we seemed to sail through just fine; partially because we were high APL for the subtier and because we went prepared.

So well done GM and fellow players. Had fun with this one.

Blackfoot
July 9th, 2016, 10:11
I have to say this scenario was not as terrible as the reviews lead one to believe. Yes there were some "gotcha" moments, but we seemed to sail through just fine; partially because we were high APL for the subtier and because we went prepared.

So well done GM and fellow players. Had fun with this one.Agreed. I gotta say that I much prefer expecting a screwing and finding it to be not as bad as expected to just getting screwed.