PDA

View Full Version : 5E Random Monster Tables

rob2e
July 5th, 2016, 23:06
Edit: Now includes Volo's Guide to Monsters, and Tome of Beasts (if you want to use either)...

This is a set of tables to generate a random monster from ALL CR LEVELS!

I built this because I wanted to save time looking up monsters and rolling a (d)whatever to determine a random CR monster. This is because on my d200 CRIT/FUMBLE tables (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28207-Here-s-my-new-d100-Critical-Hit-Fumble-tables) I have entries that call for the appearance of random monsters equal to CR of the party level. This way if someone rolls such, BAM I have a table for that.

It can also be used for any situation where someone wants a random CR monster at the ready.

Note: These are links that pull directly from the Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Tome of Beasts, and/or Fifth Edition Foes. If you do not own those, these tables will still work for you using the SRD Bestiary (included with Fantasy Grounds).

To be clear, there are nine (9) versions:

SRD Bestiary Only
Monster Manual Only
Monster Manual and Volo's Guide to Monsters
Monster Manual and Tome of Beasts
Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and Tome of Beasts
Monster Manual and Fith Edition Foes
Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and Fifth Edition Foes
Monster Manual, Tome of Beats, and Fifth Edition Foes
Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Tome of Beats, and Fifth Edition Foes

Available at the DMs Guild - CLICK HERE! (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/190718/Random-Monster-Tables?affiliate_rem=878507)

Also, note that some of the links are blank (NO TITLES for CR 1-17) so that if you want to share the table with your players, you can have them roll and be responsible for choosing their own demise (or help as the case may be). This way they can generate the link, but since players do not have access to the Monster Source material, they will not know what the monster is until the DM tells them.

Please let me know if you find fault with either content or functionality. I will endeavor to repair immediately.

Enjoy my peeps!

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2016, 23:14
Seriously good work! - Stickied.

rob2e
July 5th, 2016, 23:16
ThanX Zacchaeus!

Seya
July 6th, 2016, 00:55
Thanks this is amazing

rob2e
July 6th, 2016, 01:29
Glad to be of use.

Seya
July 6th, 2016, 01:44
Its all blank for me. I have the monster manual do i have to put in somewhere special? Is there a way to make the rolls into on encounter?

Seya
July 6th, 2016, 01:46
Ok i figured it out. I just drag the blank monster from the chat into an encounter and the monster shows up just fine. Thanks

rob2e
July 6th, 2016, 02:16
Yeah, they're blank on purpose.

Szabtom
July 9th, 2016, 14:08
Nice, thank you!

hey.eng
July 9th, 2016, 17:55
This is really great, thanks Rob!

rob2e
November 5th, 2016, 23:46
Major updates to include SRD and Volo's Guide to Monsters. With the SRD, now ANYONE on Fantasy Grounds can use these tables even if you don't own the Monster Manual, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and/or Tome of Beats. Edit: Tome of Beasts?

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2016, 03:41
... Tome of Beats.
I never liked beats. They look funny and I always worried they would make my poop look red.

rob2e
November 6th, 2016, 03:43
I never liked beats. They look funny and I always worried they would make my poop look red.

Dammit! Ha!

JohnD
November 6th, 2016, 05:59
Noice work!

Myrdin Potter
January 2nd, 2017, 19:17
I picked this up over the holiday season. Well done and will be useful.

rob2e
January 2nd, 2017, 19:20
I picked this up over the holiday season. Well done and will be useful.

Hope you enjoy!

Zhern
January 2nd, 2017, 19:57
I hadn't seen any of your stuff, but then again, I don't often visit the DMsGuild. Will have to add several of these to my collection!

rob2e
January 2nd, 2017, 20:14
I hadn't seen any of your stuff, but then again, I don't often visit the DMsGuild. Will have to add several of these to my collection!

ThanX Zhern. Spread the word. Ha!

LordEntrails
January 3rd, 2017, 01:15
Hey Rob, I finally got around to looking at this (for a review for my blog) and I have a question/comment I wanted to make you aware of. (I was going to post this as a problem, then I figured it out).

I was having problems understanding the difference between the five tables. And I came into this problem because I opened the table list from the library entry and not from the tables list. If you open from the Library there is no way to tell what the tables are. See the image;

I would suggest you add to your instructions text something about this so others don't struggle like I did :)

rob2e
January 3rd, 2017, 01:18
Hey Rob, I finally got around to looking at this (for a review for my blog) and I have a question/comment I wanted to make you aware of. (I was going to post this as a problem, then I figured it out).

I was having problems understanding the difference between the five tables. And I came into this problem because I opened the table list from the library entry and not from the tables list. If you open from the Library there is no way to tell what the tables are. See the image;

I would suggest you add to your instructions text something about this so others don't struggle like I did :)

One way to tell is to count the d38 or d53, ha, but no. I see your point. After my game tonight, I'll retitle those tables and upload a fix. Also, if you share the table with a player to give them the excitement of rolling, you don't want the to have ANY info, but I'll make the use instructions more clear...

LordEntrails
January 3rd, 2017, 03:55
One way to tell is to count the d38 or d53, ha, but no. I see your point. After my game tonight, I'll retitle those tables and upload a fix. Also, if you share the table with a player to give them the excitement of rolling, you don't want the to have ANY info, but I'll make the use instructions more clear...
A possible suggestion on re-titling them. Maybe if you just do a v1, v2, or something, it would make sense to the DM who knows from the campaign table list you have 1-5 but it wouldn't make sense to player.

rob2e
January 3rd, 2017, 05:26
A possible suggestion on re-titling them. Maybe if you just do a v1, v2, or something, it would make sense to the DM who knows from the campaign table list you have 1-5 but it wouldn't make sense to player.

It seems you don't have the latest version. I in fact already DID re-lable those as shown in the pic. Please redownload from DMs guild and see if that fixes it.

LordEntrails
January 3rd, 2017, 06:11
It seems you don't have the latest version. I in fact already DID re-lable those as shown in the pic. Please redownload from DMs guild and see if that fixes it.

So... I deleted the module in my FG DAta/Module folder, re-downloaded from DMsG, and re-installed, created a brand new campaign and I'm not seeing what you are;

So, do I have something funky or did you not upload the right file to the DMsG? Note that the DMsG shows that you last updated the file 11/8/16;

Myrdin Potter
January 3rd, 2017, 06:38
I will open up my tables on a second and see if I see the same.

I did use the custom conditions and effect .mod tonight and shared it with my players. That one is certainly pure gold. Random monsters are nice and everything, but having so many effects done and in game is awesome.

rob2e
January 3rd, 2017, 07:04
I will open up my tables on a second and see if I see the same.

I did use the custom conditions and effect .mod tonight and shared it with my players. That one is certainly pure gold. Random monsters are nice and everything, but having so many effects done and in game is awesome.

I updated the file, please try again. Don't know why the old version was there, nobody noticed. Ha.

PTBBC.ORG
January 3rd, 2017, 11:32
So.. I can't update this for some reason. I got it back in July, but DMsG, RPGnow and DriveThruRPG don't show I did.. :( Oh well, get some extra money from me :) Appreciate the work!

Also, do you think you might include 5th Edition Foes?

rob2e
January 3rd, 2017, 21:39
So.. I can't update this for some reason. I got it back in July, but DMsG, RPGnow and DriveThruRPG don't show I did.. :( Oh well, get some extra money from me :) Appreciate the work!

It's possible you got a free copy of it which may not have been updated. But if you have it now thru DMs Guild, then you'll get updates. And I am looking into adding Fifth Edition Foes. But for each source I add, the tables become exponentially harder to make. But it is in the works...

LordEntrails
January 3rd, 2017, 22:04
I updated the file, please try again. Don't know why the old version was there, nobody noticed. Ha.
Updated the file and the tables are now labeled as you say :)

Good work, thanks :)

rob2e
March 20th, 2017, 02:34

Fifth Edition Foes added.

FuzzyThall13
March 29th, 2017, 17:11

Thanks Rob! :D

This should prove to be quite a challenge!

Nylanfs
March 29th, 2017, 18:09

Here you go. (http://riverhorse.eu/our-games/my-little-pony-tails-of-equestria/)

rob2e
March 29th, 2017, 18:28

Nice job bro(nie)!