PDA

View Full Version : Laggy Dice

Dr0W
July 5th, 2016, 20:53
Hi guys, I'm having a problem with laggy dice and general laggy interface.

First of all, my GPU died. Right now I'm using the onboard graphics unit and only after that I'm having the issues.

The more "windows" I have opened on my screen, the more lag I get. If I have nothing open I can barely notice the dice are lagged, but with 4+ sheets and CT open it's really unconfortable.
The windows are also lagged when I try to move them around.

My video drivers are up to date, I'm using one of those Intel HD video cards, don't know which one for sure but this is a new mobo.

I can run games not at their best settings but I can still use stuff like Tabletop Simulator and I can even play Overwatch on the lowest settings, it doesn't seem to me that my video card wouldn't be able to handle FG.

Is there anything I can try to do right now? Because I plan on saving a little before trying to buy a new GPU.

Nickademus
July 5th, 2016, 21:11
This is outside my area of knowledge, but do you have your 3D acceleration turned on with the onboard graphics chip? It probably was never turned on since your GPU handled 3D processing. The dice in FG use 3D models and a physic engine, so acceleration would help.

Dr0W
July 5th, 2016, 21:24
Well, yea. Since I can play tabletop simulator that is a fully 3D table with physics simulation not only for the table but usually 300+ objects at the same time with no problem (except that I have to use it on low/medium settings), my 3D acceleration seems to be on.

midas
July 6th, 2016, 02:25
Any integrated graphics chipset I've used (Intel or AMD) on either desktops or laptops has had poor dice performance (at least when compared to a discrete card doing hardware DirectX driving). It's fine, but you can't compare it to the silky smooth performance of a dedicated 3D card.

Dr0W
July 6th, 2016, 02:40
I dare not to compare an integrated graphics chipset to a dedicated 3D card, but I can roll more than 100 dice at the same time on another program that fully simulates physics and it runs silky smooth, but a single dice roll on FG is showing problems. So it's not lack of power for sure. I can possibly even record that.

Also I've been using FG for almost 7 years now and I had a pretty shitty computer back in the day and I had lots of problems but video lag wasn't one of them.

I think this *might* be some kind of driver incompatibility or even graphic card incompatibility and someone *might* have a solution based on past experience.

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2016, 05:32
Do you have "Cross-platform compatibility mode..." turned on in the setting from the FG launcher settings? I think I remember Moon or someone saying that can cause problems. I know there was a memory leak type of thing awhile back, you are on 3.1.7 right?

Moon Wizard
July 6th, 2016, 06:06
It's just a limitation of our current architecture. When I run external displays with my ultra book, I have to limit the number of Windows I have open, and assume at least some dice lag.

Regards,
JPG

damned
July 6th, 2016, 09:12
My main laptop (almost 4yrs old) has an intel graphics adapter and an amd radeon adapter and I use it on an external screen with no unusual lagginess. I try not to have many windows open just so i can find stuff.
All my settings are default as far as I know.

Dr0W
July 6th, 2016, 15:12
Well, if it's an architecture limitation I think there's not much I can do about it until I buy a new GPU. Thanks!