PDA

View Full Version : 4 New Releases. D&D Tokens, a Primeval Thule (5E) adventure and another 5E adventure

ddavison
July 5th, 2016, 18:05
D&D Tokens Volume 1 & 2 are now available. These use token images from D&D 4th edition but can be used with any ruleset, including the latest D&D fifth edition.

Good news for those who already took advantage of the Complete the Set D&D Bundle, you can get these for 25% off for completing the set again. New bundle buyers can get them at 25% off too.

HoratioDrank
July 5th, 2016, 19:02
For me, only Monster Tokens vol 1 is discounting in the bundle. Monster Tokens vol 2 is not.

ddavison
July 5th, 2016, 19:04
Oops, setup issue. Please try it again now. You might have to clear your cart and re-add them.

spite
July 5th, 2016, 23:02
I'm not sure I'm happy that previous-edition art is being put into the 5th edition content bundle. This adds on another 30 dollars to completing the bundle for getting actual content as new things come out. Bit stink tbh.

edit: Obviously I have no input on what should and shouldn't, but what's the reason these are included in this bundle alongside the other stuff?

HoratioDrank
July 6th, 2016, 00:17
I'm not sure I'm happy that previous-edition art is being put into the 5th edition content bundle. This adds on another 30 dollars to completing the bundle for getting actual content as new things come out. Bit stink tbh.

edit: Obviously I have no input on what should and shouldn't, but what's the reason these are included in this bundle alongside the other stuff?

I have to express some solidarity with spite on this one. I was just talking to one of my co-workers today about this very issue. Going forward, I plan on buying the newly released Wizards of the Coast 5e materials using the "Complete my Bundle" option. But these token sets of recycled non-5e art (including some monsters that aren't even in 5e) has been permanently tossed into the mix, and the only way I can continue being rewarded for my buying loyalty in the future is to pick up these two token sets that I neither need nor want. So if I buy them both using "Complete my Bundle" now, I will spend $22.50 for them ($30 x 0.75). That means I get no added value out of the next $90 worth of future WotC 5e purchases I make ($22.50 / 0.25) using "Complete my Bundle".

Not the end of the world or anything, and certainly not a deal breaker for me. But since it was brought up anyway, I figure I'd chime in my opinion.

ddavison
July 6th, 2016, 00:35
I was on the fence for this one. I figured that if I didn't add them to the D&D bundle and they are clearly D&D products, that I would have people upset that they weren't included. There are likely to be a few other non-adventure products coming out too, along with some more conversions of other D&D Next adventures like we currently have in the bundle. Your input matters, so if people are overwhelmingly against having them in the bundle, I can remove them. I just have to figure out which route will make people the most satisfied -- or the least dissatisfied.

callahan09
July 6th, 2016, 02:01
I was on the fence for this one. I figured that if I didn't add them to the D&D bundle and they are clearly D&D products, that I would have people upset that they weren't included. There are likely to be a few other non-adventure products coming out too, along with some more conversions of other D&D Next adventures like we currently have in the bundle. Your input matters, so if people are overwhelmingly against having them in the bundle, I can remove them. I just have to figure out which route will make people the most satisfied -- or the least dissatisfied.

Just as a suggestion, I have no idea if this is possible, or what the most effective way to market & make the deal clear would be, but....

What about offering it at 25% off (as though it were part of the bundle) for people who own the entire bundle already, BUT not making it required to complete the bundle. In other words, if you want to complete the D&D 5e bundle, then you can buy the products that up until today were in the bundle and get it for 25% off, and you don't need to buy these two items to get that deal. But for everyone who does indeed own everything in the D&D bundle, you can get these for 25% off also? Is something like that a possibility?

ddavison
July 6th, 2016, 02:04
The problem is that the back-end code for this is already crazy complicated. I would hate to add another wrinkle to the mix. It would basically have to be an in or out thing. That isn't to say that there couldn't be sales on those individual products at some point.

callahan09
July 6th, 2016, 02:05
The problem is that the back-end code for this is already crazy complicated. I would hate to add another wrinkle to the mix. It would basically have to be an in or out thing. That isn't to say that there couldn't be sales on those individual products at some point.

I guess the way I envision it working is like this...
Almost like creating a category that contains items which get discounted if you own the bundle.

D&D 5e Primary Bundle = The 13 (as of today) Primary Items (FG License + Core Class Pack + Monsters Pack + DMG + All the adventures & primary supplements)

D&D 5e Secondary Products Discount = Things like this, where if you own everything in the Primary Bundle, you get any items part of this category for 25% off as well.

That would be nice. I have no idea if the code is too difficult to implement, but it would be nice. I can see it both ways. Not having these as part of the discount bundle stinks for those who own the bundle and feel they should get the discount. But it's a double edged sword. Even me, personally, I'm someone who DOES own the entire bundle and would get these for 25% off if I wanted them, but the thing is, I'm not sure I want them, and now I have to buy these items in order to get the next real D&D 5e product at the bundle discount. If I do turn out to want them, the 25% off is nice. If I don't, then it stinks because I now either have to buy them anyway, or no longer get the benefit of being a bundle owner when things like Storm King's Thunder and Volos' Guide To Monsters come out later this year. And that's no good either.

Varsuuk
July 6th, 2016, 20:02
I was feeling the same way. I saw the new things on my regular store page scan, clicked on them and saw they were of iffy use to one with MM already as it's just "extra" art vs anything specific to 5E.

Moreover as was pointed out these are really 4E. These are more in the realm of token packs which exist in the store now for many rule sets Inc 5e but are by no way to be considered "core" really. And... I reiterate that the 4e natures seems to be salt in the wounds for one who doesn't want to buy this just to keep their discount viable.

For myself, in the future I may very possibly buy them if they were 1/2 price because 5-7 per is most I'd consider for just tokens especially ones that do not fill in major gaps in MM tokens.

So ya, I'd think this is likely to be more PR negative than for most vs the ones who may be happy about the extra couple bucks savings. It's not like a big enough item so that the loss of 25% disc will demoralize anyone. But paying an extra $30 -25% discount seems like a surcharge reducing the savings we otherwise would have gotten.

Most people (self included) have or will buy a couple modules they wouldn't have otherwise but with discount and future savings on stuff I do want. I may not be into Strahd but I can probably get something out of it if only ideas or encounters (SINCE I CANNOT COPY MAPS OR ARTWORK FROM SMITE MODULES ;p )

RoguePanda
July 7th, 2016, 23:26
Would it possible to just add secondary type of items like these tokens in to a separate complete the bundle package? Much like Deadlands' package I'd guess that the back end code is already in place and you'd just be swapping out what products are offered.

I'm in the boat that having the core 5e specific wotc released items in their own bundle. On a side note an AL specific bundle would be of interest since parsing it is a pain and I'd def be willing to complete all 4 soon to be 5 AL modules

codemephit
July 8th, 2016, 02:43
I would prefer that my 'complete your bundle' products be actual 5th edition material. These tokens, while usable with 5th edition, are not actually 5th edition. If I need to purchase non-5e material to keep my 5e loyalty discount, then the loyalty discount quickly begins to loose value.

ddavison
July 8th, 2016, 03:14
That seems to be the consensus, so they have been removed from the bundle. See the following thread - post 16. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33064-Poll-What-should-be-included-in-the-D-amp-D-Bundle/page2