PDA

View Full Version : How do you save a map with token still on?

Jonthekilr
July 5th, 2016, 01:14
I'm trying to make a map for later when I'm playing with friends later but when every time i close the campaign the map just deletes everything. I did /save in the chat window but nothing happens with the map. I'm making the tokens invisible so my players cant see anything when they load in and i don't want to be making the map while they adventure so I'm distracted and can't DM properly.

When i try to open the map in a module it says its an image not a map. Does this have anything to do with it?

LordEntrails
July 5th, 2016, 01:43
Here's what you want to do.
1) Create an encounter (from the campaign NPC menu)
2) Add the NPCs to the encounter. You can set the quantity etc.
3) From the encounter, under each entry is a token for each npc of that type, drag from there to your map.
Now you can exit and come back later.
When you come back;
1) Open the encounter (I usually do this from a story entry where I have linked the encounter)
2) Add the encounter to the Combat Tracker (use the button on the bottom left of the encounter)
3) Open the map, now you will see the NPC's placed on the map where you placed them. By default they will be invisible. You can now turn them on individually or all at once use the eye(s) icon on the combat tracker.

I can give you screen shots if you need of any of the steps.

Nickademus
July 5th, 2016, 01:58
Could you give more information about exactly what you are trying to do? I am imagining three situations here.

1. From the sound of it, your campaign is not saving due to it being on a cloud drive or in a place FG doesn't have permission to save to. Others will know more about this.
2. You are having trouble placing NPCs like LordEntrails described.
3. You are having trouble placing tokens for furniture and ground effects. I know how to overcome this problem, but it's a bit complicated.

Jonthekilr
July 5th, 2016, 02:16
I tried the encounter thing but it didn't work.
For nickademus
I have an image of a map i got here
https://rpgamer.ru/media/map/15172/img.png
I saved the image and then opened it.
Now i believe the game thinks its just an image and not a map?
The campaign saves every note, NPC, and item just not anything i put on this map but other maps work
Also i cant delete the item, every time i do and tab back in it puts itself back in.

damned
July 5th, 2016, 05:37
Are you placing furniture and the like on the map?
Or is it monster/npc/characters tokens that are not saving?

LordEntrails
July 5th, 2016, 06:04
Note, FG doesn't differentiate between images and maps, they are the same thing. Some rulesets just call them by different names.

Nickademus
July 5th, 2016, 07:09
I have an image of a map i got here
This doesn't really tell me what you are trying to do. Is that the image before or after you add things? What in that image is disappearing when you reload?

I saved the image and then opened it.
Now i believe the game thinks its just an image and not a map?
There is no such thing as a map in FG. All images can have a grid put on them and be used as a map. So they are all images and maps, but called images inside FG.

The campaign saves every note, NPC, and item just not anything i put on this map but other maps work
It is odd that this map doesn't store tokens but others do. Technically, all the images should keep their tokens inside the campaign. Try making a copy of the image and using that instead.

Also i cant delete the item, every time i do and tab back in it puts itself back in.
I do not understand what you mean here. Do you go outside FG and delete the image in a Windows folder and tab back into FG?

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2016, 10:29
I just downloaded the map and I can place encounters on it with no problem.

There's a couple of things. Are you thinking that perhaps if you put something directly onto the map that it will stay there? Also are you thinking that maybe if you place something on the map, save it and then open it in another campaign then all the NPCs will still be there?

So, as LordEntrails points out you get NPCs on the map as follows:

1) Click on the Images button in your campaign and click on the small folder icon. Now drag and drop or cut and paste your image into that folder; Let's say it's called map.jpg.
2) Now create an encounter for let's say half a dozen Goblins. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_NPC_Sheet#Create_encounters) for a details of how to do this.
3) Open up your map by clicking on it and then draw a grid on it. (Right click > Layers > Set Grid).
4) Open the encounter and drag the 6 Goblins onto the map. As you do so each little Goblin Icon will change to a tick.
5) Close the map and the encounter. Exit the Campaign.
6) Reload the same campaign, find the map and open it up. Open up the encounter and click the small icon on the bottom left that says 'add encounter to combat tracker'.
7) Your NPCs will appear on the map wherever you placed them.

When you set up encounters like this you can drag the little icon at the top left of the encounter and drop it onto the map and it will create a pin which you can then click on at some future point to directly open that particular encounter.

Nickademus
July 5th, 2016, 14:21
He doesn't talk about opening the map in another campaign, so I don't think he is making it into a module. I think it is the same campaign, just that that map isn't saving its metadata. Might just be a bad bit of meta. Ctrl+drag the map in the image folder to make a copy. Then use the copy and see if you get the same problems. This will show if the metadata is causing the issue.

Nylanfs
July 5th, 2016, 15:10
Maybe a image name issue, special character perhaps?