PDA

View Full Version : Teamspeak vs. Hangouts

lesliev
July 4th, 2016, 10:54
I've been using Teamspeak so far in FG games but there seems to be an issue where other people pick up an echo from me if someone speaks at the same time as me. This is weird because I have a headset with a mic and there's definitely no feedback between my headphones and the microphone. Also, I use Hangouts and Skype very often (at least once a day) for work and never have this problem.

So I'm thinking of trying Hangouts for the next game. Can anyone report good or bad results with this?
Is it a huge bandwidth hog to have 6 people's video plus FG all using the line? I have about 9Mbps here.

Mask_of_winter
July 4th, 2016, 11:18
I use Hangouts all the time with up to 8 people sometimes and also host the FG game. I have 6 up 35 down. Video quality loss isn't unusual but you can adjust bandwidth usage. Someone with low bandwidth might be hindered by it.

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2016, 11:30
It is likely that if you changed a few of your settings in Teamspeak that you'll be able to solve your problem or whoever else is hearing your echo might have to sort their end of things. Try going into the options and in the Capture tab check the Echo Reduction and echo cancellation boxes. Also whilst you are there click on voice activation detection and do the voice test and adjust so that when you speak you have no red in the bar. You may also want to check that your microphone is the default device in your sound settings (on you computer - not in TS) for Output.

damned
July 4th, 2016, 12:19
Yeah your Mic or Speakers might not be what you thought they were - and someone else may also have the wrong settings.
Hangouts are good too.

Andraax
July 4th, 2016, 14:35
Sounds like someone else's mic is picking up their speakers when you're talking, and feeding it back into TS. You can tell if this is a the case if someone else's light lights up when you talk - that's the person who's feeding it back into the system.

Fobok
July 5th, 2016, 00:47
Sounds like someone else's mic is picking up their speakers when you're talking, and feeding it back into TS. You can tell if this is a the case if someone else's light lights up when you talk - that's the person who's feeding it back into the system.

No, I was in one of his games. It was not his voice echoing back, it was our voices coming back through his system. Except, he wasn't using speakers, he had headphones. We tried but couldn't diagnose the issue at the time.

lesliev
July 5th, 2016, 04:53
Thanks Fobok, glad you remember what was going on there.
If my sound drivers went crazy and recorded what was being fed to my speakers, that would explain it - but I never have this problem with Hangouts, so that doesn't add up.

There was similar echoing coming from me when I was playing in timdog88's AL game, so I had to turn on push to talk.

damned
July 5th, 2016, 05:45
Thanks Fobok, glad you remember what was going on there.
If my sound drivers went crazy and recorded what was being fed to my speakers, that would explain it - but I never have this problem with Hangouts, so that doesn't add up.

There was similar echoing coming from me when I was playing in timdog88's AL game, so I had to turn on push to talk.

Ive had the situation before on TS when I had my headset Speakers set in TS but my laptops Mic... double check that isnt happening.

Athlonis
July 5th, 2016, 20:17
my group switched over to discord and got rid of a lot sound issues that we had with teamspeak and hangouts.