PDA

View Full Version : Can't drag equipment from 5e PHB to my character sheet

HoratioDrank
July 4th, 2016, 00:53
I play in a D&D 5th edition game where the DM has the following:

standard subscription
The Rise of Tiamat
Hoard of the Dragon Queen

I own an Ultimate License and all of the 5e content.

When I connect to his game, I am unable to drag equipment from my DD PHB Deluxe to my character. If I want to add equipment I have to drag it from the DD5e SRD Data. Is this normal behavior?

jshauber
July 4th, 2016, 01:20
Your DM needs to have the PHB open and with a GREEN CHECK in his library modules so that it is allowed to be shared with his players.

Since everyone has the SRD as part of the subscription that is why you can access it.

damned
July 4th, 2016, 01:41
The GM can allow you to access your PHB. If you try to open it she will get a prompt and can then go in and activate it for you.

HoratioDrank
July 4th, 2016, 01:43
The GM can allow you to access your PHB. If you try to open it she will get a prompt and can then go in and activate it for you.
Yeah, we've been able to do that. And everything from my PHB seems to work except the equipment. When I create characters on my own, my equipment from my PHB works just fine.

damned
July 4th, 2016, 02:11
Try nuking your cache (nuke button on Join Game screen) or manually rename the campaign cache folder in question and reconnect and retry.
Export your character to XML first... just in case...

HoratioDrank
July 4th, 2016, 03:10
Try nuking your cache (nuke button on Join Game screen) or manually rename the campaign cache folder in question and reconnect and retry.
Export your character to XML first... just in case...
Tried that. Still doesn't work. I'm not too worried about it, I can still drag equipment from the SRD. I was just checking in here in case this was some common, known issue.

Nickademus
July 4th, 2016, 16:58
Ran into the same thing last night.

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2016, 17:49
So, just to get things straight. Both of you (Nickademus and CYN) own the PHB, You play in a game where the DM shares his PHB and when that happens you can't drag equipment into your PC? But you can drag it in from the DD SRD? Is the DM sharing the SRD as well or just the PHB? What happens if he doesn't share the PHB? What happens if he shares the SRD can you drag from the SRD when he does? Once you get back to me I'll put up a report. (I can't test this myself since none of my players have the PHB).

usasgt14
July 4th, 2016, 18:58
Yes I'm in the same game as Nick and had the same problem

Talyn
July 4th, 2016, 19:12
I'm not in a 5E game but just mentioned this to a friend who's GMing a 5E campaign and he said they've had the same problem all along and just have to use the SRD for dragging equipment.

Nickademus
July 4th, 2016, 19:12
So, just to get things straight. Both of you (Nickademus and CYN) own the PHB, You play in a game where the DM shares his PHB and when that happens you can't drag equipment into your PC? But you can drag it in from the DD SRD? Is the DM sharing the SRD as well or just the PHB? What happens if he doesn't share the PHB? What happens if he shares the SRD can you drag from the SRD when he does? Once you get back to me I'll put up a report. (I can't test this myself since none of my players have the PHB).

Own the PHB, don't have the SRD (unless it's embedded in the content.dat). If he doesn't share the PHB, I get the hourglass when trying to open it and the GM has to allow (as damned mentioned earlier). Then I can open the PHB and drag/drop everything but the items. I had to open the SRD, which I assume was provided by the GM since I don't keep generic modules that duplicate my purchases. Then I could drag/drop items over and close the SRD.

It might have something to do with the fact that the items create a literal copy of the data rather than a link to the module. Everything else requires the PHB/SRD to be open to view the details of.

Oh, by the way, I've drug items from the PHB to my character before. It's not all the time that I have this problem. But it MAY be when the GM doesn't own the PHB, not sure.

usasgt14
July 4th, 2016, 20:01
It's just weird that when I dmed for the group didn't see any issues

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2016, 20:14
Alright. I'll send up a report. I'm still not sure what the exact circumstances are really. Everyone has the SRD - you can't delete it so it's there all the time and available. However the DM can still share it with the players. It may be a conflict between the owned PHB and the one being shared with the players. At any rate I'll let those who need to know about the problem and we'll see what transpires.

HoratioDrank
July 5th, 2016, 13:17

I'll see if my DM is available tonight (U.S. Eastern time) to test these things, Zacchaeus. One thing I'll clarify now is that my DM does not own the Deluxe PHB. He only has the core Fantasy Grounds product (via a monthly subscription) plus two Tyranny of Dragons modules, and nothing else.

Nickademus
July 5th, 2016, 14:22
There we go. My GM didn't seem to have the PHB either.

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2016, 16:31
I'll see if my DM is available tonight (U.S. Eastern time) to test these things, Zacchaeus. One thing I'll clarify now is that my DM does not own the Deluxe PHB. He only has the core Fantasy Grounds product (via a monthly subscription) plus two Tyranny of Dragons modules, and nothing else.

There we go. My GM didn't seem to have the PHB either.

Yes, that would be the problem. Presumably you must have created characters using your own PHB's and then imported into his campaign. I was thinking it was weird that only equipment wouldn't drag/drop but in the circumstances that you describe I don't think anything will drag/drop. And that also explains why the SRD is working.

HoratioDrank
July 5th, 2016, 19:04
Yes, that would be the problem. Presumably you must have created characters using your own PHB's and then imported into his campaign. I was thinking it was weird that only equipment wouldn't drag/drop but in the circumstances that you describe I don't think anything will drag/drop. And that also explains why the SRD is working.

So players can't use anything that the DM does not already own? That seems a bit restrictive.

Talyn
July 5th, 2016, 19:21
The buddy I mentioned above does own the PHB (and most of the 5E packages) but his players still cannot drag equipment from the PHB (which he does have shared).

HoratioDrank
July 5th, 2016, 19:30
The buddy I mentioned above does own the PHB (and most of the 5E packages) but his players still cannot drag equipment from the PHB (which he does have shared).

I wonder if it's a standard vs. ultimate. I own the ultimate version plus all the 5e packages, and when I host a session, players are able to drag equipment from the PHB just fine.

Also, when I connect to the game I first described when I started this post (DM has monthly subscription to standard version, and the two Tyranny of Dragons adventures), everything works from my Deluxe PHB *except* the equipment. I can drag classes, races, backgrounds, etc. Only the equipment doesn't work.

CNYGamer99

Nickademus
July 5th, 2016, 20:26
So players can't use anything that the DM does not already own? That seems a bit restrictive.
This isn't true.

I was thinking it was weird that only equipment wouldn't drag/drop but in the circumstances that you describe I don't think anything will drag/drop.
Neither is this. I drug the class, race, and feat from the PHB before even opening the SRD. They worked fine. Only the items wouldn't drag.

HoratioDrank
July 5th, 2016, 21:35
I drug the class, race, and feat from the PHB before even opening the SRD. They worked fine. Only the items wouldn't drag.
This was also my experience.

Moon Wizard
July 11th, 2016, 03:52
I'm trying to recreate this on my dev machine, but I can't seem to recreate.

I tried setting up a GM that didn't own a PHB and a player adding items from their own PHB; and I also tried setting up a GM that owned the PHB but did not have it open and a player adding items from the PHB.

I would appreciate if anybody has any other information or specific steps that I might be able to use to recreate.

Thanks,
JPG

Nickademus
July 11th, 2016, 04:33
I'll attempt it when I next play in the game with the GM that it happened in last time. I'll ask more questions to try to isolate the variables.

usasgt14
July 11th, 2016, 05:13
Hey Nick are game is cancelled on Saturday. And he has the PHB now...

Nickademus
July 11th, 2016, 07:24
Hmm. Maybe I won't be able to test it now. If the GM has the PHB, and the lack of PHB was causing the issue...

I'll try in other games that I play in.

HoratioDrank
July 11th, 2016, 20:26
I'm trying to recreate this on my dev machine, but I can't seem to recreate.

I tried setting up a GM that didn't own a PHB and a player adding items from their own PHB; and I also tried setting up a GM that owned the PHB but did not have it open and a player adding items from the PHB.

I would appreciate if anybody has any other information or specific steps that I might be able to use to recreate.

Thanks,
JPG

Here is what I know of the variables regarding the this problem as experienced by me:

GM:
1. Has a standard version of FG via monthly subscription.
2. Owns only the two Tyranny of Dragons modules, and nothing else

Me:
1. Outright own ultimate license version
2. Own all official 5e materials (except the two new token sets), Book of Lost Spells, and Fifth Edition Foes.

The GM allows those of who own the PHB to open them. None of us can drag equipment from the PHB to our character sheets, but we can drag classes, races, etc. Dragging equipment from the SRD works perfectly fine.

When I host my game from FG, this problem doesn't occur for any of my players.

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2016, 22:24
Alright I can sort of replicate this on my own machine (I can't test any other way since none of my players own the PHB).

I start up FG and have the PHB closed but with the green 'Allow Player load' visible. I then join my own game using a second instance of FG. I can access the PHB and the SRD. I can open the PHB and create a character by drag/dropping class, background race etc. However no equipment item standard, weapon, armour etc will drag and drop into the character. However I can't do that from the SRD either. So that's weird. However it looks like there is a problem somewhere in all of this.

Moon Wizard
July 11th, 2016, 22:56
Hmm, not seeing this in v3.2.0, so I either fixed it already or I still can't recreate. Anyone running v3.2.0 with the PHB that can check Zacchaeus's example to verify for me?

Thanks,
JPG

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2016, 23:52
Moon Wizard. I just tested it in 3.2 and it works; so somewhere along the line this has been fixed. (It may have been the same problem that was causing the incorrect numbers of items to appear in player/GM view of various equipment items)

HoratioDrank
July 12th, 2016, 13:12
Has any target time frame been set for 3.2.0?

Zacchaeus
July 12th, 2016, 14:05
Nope, it's still in test and there are a lot of major changes.

damned
July 12th, 2016, 14:11
Has any target time frame been set for 3.2.0?

Not a firm date - but somewhere MW indicated about 2 weeks. It usually happens about a week after the last bug reports come in...

Nylanfs
July 12th, 2016, 18:20
Soon(TM) (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealSoonNow)

Chess
October 4th, 2016, 13:56
Has anyone found a solution? I'm having this problem with PHB and SRD when trying to drag and drop equipment and weapons. I did an update and it started working for one session, but it stopped working again.

Zacchaeus
October 4th, 2016, 14:03
Hi, CHess welcome to FG and to the community.

V3.2 (which fixes the problem) will be out soon. Meantime there isn't a solution apart from getting your DM to do the equipping for you.

Nickademus
October 5th, 2016, 11:11
I believe some people in games I've played found that opening the generic modules (SRD) and getting the equipment from there worked when the PHB didn't.

Chess
October 5th, 2016, 17:31
thx but SRD wouldn't work either. It's working again though, PHB and SRD.