PDA

View Full Version : How to share modules with players

Cerberov
July 3rd, 2016, 22:23
Hello all
Thanks for all the help that so far I have got from other threads
I have a question that I have not been able to answer...
How it is possible to share the 5e players handbook with my players for them to be able to prepare beforehand the character sheets?
Do we need to be all present and connected to a game to do so? Or I can let them use the data anyway?

Thanks and best regards

Andraax
July 3rd, 2016, 22:46
You can only share it with them while they're connected to your server. Just drag the green checkmark onto the module you want to share, then the players can open it on their end while they're connected.

damned
July 3rd, 2016, 23:33
Often people will have a session 0 where they do character creation or you can let your players know the server will be up on Mon and Tue between 8 and 11 or whatever and they can connect and do it at a time that works for them.

Cerberov
July 4th, 2016, 15:08
Thanks a lot
this last idea is great
I will let the server open by night for them to do the lists

another question a will appreciate to answer:
How do all information is saved?
When I leave the server the info is saved? or do i have to do anything?
Will it save the characters and all? for example, if i amend any module (like curse of strahd, that i want to translate to spanish) will it be saved?
I made a test in one of the dialogues and it did not save...

Thanks!!

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2016, 15:20
Yes, everything that you change in your campaign should be saved.

Make sure that you have full read/write permission to the folder in which all of your campaign data is stored in. You can find out where that folder is by clicking on the little folder icon at the top right of the FG splash screen. Also don't point any kind of cloud back up software such as Dropbox etc at that folder since there have been reports of data getting out of sync and thus causing problems.

Cerberov
July 4th, 2016, 16:04
When i try to make any change on the Curse of Strand module, it says that the campaign is corrupted, creates a backup, and the change does not appear when i reload...
In detail, what i am trying to do is change the texts from english to spanish. I open the lock, change the text, and close the lock again.
When i reload, the changes are not saved, and the error messages appear...
It is no big deal, but seems to closed, no?
Thanks!

jshauber
July 4th, 2016, 17:23
When i try to make any change on the Curse of Strand module, it says that the campaign is corrupted, creates a backup, and the change does not appear when i reload...
In detail, what i am trying to do is change the texts from english to spanish. I open the lock, change the text, and close the lock again.
Thanks!

Hi Cerberov, You can't make changes directly to the module that was purchased.

What you can do is open the module in a new campaign, make your changes and then type /save in the chat box to save the changes IN THAT CAMPAIGN only. Hope that helps.

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2016, 17:36
Thanks!

I am almost certain that your problem is becasue you do not have full read/write permission in the location that your campaigns are being saved in. If you start a new campaign, open Curse of Strahd and make a change to a story entry, close that campaign and then re-open that same campaign then your amended entry should be there and there should be no errors.

It depends on what OS you are using as to where FG puts your campaign folder but I would try moving all of the data folder contents to User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/ if it isn't there already. Also check that in the settings menu that the data directory is pointing to the same location.

Cerberov
July 4th, 2016, 20:20
Thanks a lot gentlemen
Both solutions solved the problem, the directory location and the /save command

THANKS!!

Zacchaeus
July 4th, 2016, 20:30
Just as an FYI you don't need to use save. FG automatically saves your campaign every 5 minutes or so and again when you close it. However it is there in case every 5 minutes isn't enough :)