PDA

View Full Version : Level 20 one shots

Diomitus
July 3rd, 2016, 04:48
So why limit one shots to levels 3, 5, 10 or even 15?!
I've seen some level 20 one-shot videos but I'd like to see what you guys think!
Is it possible?
Can we be epic on short term?!

What are some ideas you guys have for a level 20 one shot in the 5e system?
Or ANY system (pathfinder, 2e, 3.5e, 4e, 5e) for that matter!

Roakana
July 3rd, 2016, 05:49
certainly could be cool to create an end of days scenario. level 20s on a suicide mission. think one challenge is learning the character enough to truly take advantage of the build.

damned
July 3rd, 2016, 06:16
I think the main challenge is how long combat can take when your players have sooo many options. Consider using the Combat Tracker Timer extension.

Diomitus
July 3rd, 2016, 07:53
Damned- Where's that located?

Roakana- I'd probably have players create their own maybe a week or 2 ahead of time. Kind of like a "dream build."

End of days certainly seems like a great way to introduce the scenario.

damned
July 3rd, 2016, 08:06
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30856-Combat-Timer-Extension-(v-0-0-1)

Diomitus
July 3rd, 2016, 09:10
Awesome, thanks!

I even thought about implementing this as a campaign idea.
Players make their dream character, and maybe this is a little lazy, OR maybe just too extensive, haha, but hear me out;

[TL;DR Players start at 20, awesome gear, impressive accolades, legendary acts of heroism etc., Can't beat bigbad, then time warp back to level 1 to find a way to beat the bigbad and build campaign around the accolades, heroic acts and how they got their gear]

Standard array or point buy at level 1.

Build your dream PC up to level 20

You get a +3 weapon, shield, armor, etc.

You get an awesome title in game for RP sake. (Maybe you're the leader of an army?!)

You build up your background with your claims to fame. (Maybe you beat a stone giant in a wrestling match?!)

You even get access to 1 legendary item, and 2 very rare items. (3 attuned items max, but following standard equipment rules as far as different body parts)

Then, have a few NPCs with the party, and make them older. Maybe an old wise wizard, and an older warrior, and give them a history with the characters. They've known each other for years, and even had an adventure with the PCs. Have them say things throughout the battle like "Remember that time we fought that [insert random monster encounter here] almost 20 years ago?" The players will be like "Yea!" (I think it would be some fun RP moments during battle, but keep those in mind)

Play the first session at level 20 battling some BigBad. Players can do their massive amounts of damage and allow their awesome spells to work, roll copious amounts our dice and there's players being badass en masse. But, 10 rounds in, BOOM.

The bigbad throws his trump card. I mean disaster on a biblical scale. We're talking old testament real wrath of God type, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together. MASS HYSTERIA!!

Anyway, just as this is happening, the end is nigh, seems hopeless, the players just can't seem to beat the bigbad, the old wizard npc plays HIS own trump card.
He says something about "it's his turn to save the players lives" and he casts a wish spell, sending the players back in time 20 years to find and destroy the bigbad before they got this powerful.

Woosh. End of one shot.

Continue?

Next session.
20 years ago.
Players are 20 years younger.
They're level 1.
They are new to the world and adventuring etc.
They then bring back out there level 1 characters and you start everything over.
Maybe a dungeon or an adventure.
Then BOOM.
You have them rescue that wizard, who is also 20 years younger, but doesn't know the adventurers. After all they've just met right now for the first time.

You then build the entire campaign based on the backstory and accolades that your Players made up for themselves!
How'd they acquire those legendary magic items?
The weapons?
The armor?
You throw in a few of the encounters that your old warrior NPC spoke about and you have a great deal of your campaign written. It's up to you to fill in the gaps but that's all fun stuff!

Thoughts?

djacob91
July 11th, 2016, 10:22
I would be up for a level 20 one shot, and your campaign idea sounds fun. Kind of feels like one of those movies where they show you 15 sounds of the big end scene before rewinding and giving your the 1 week earlier screen.

Seya
July 11th, 2016, 15:04
Starting at level 20 fighting a some gods is super cool. Then you get beat and start life over looking to avenge you father's death.

MadsOkking
May 24th, 2018, 21:04
This is a freeking awesome Idea, and I am going to use that in my 4 year old campaign. My players 15th level now and will end about 17-18.
Thank you