PDA

View Full Version : Helping a new player apply a license

nickabbey
July 1st, 2016, 13:13
Hi there,

I have a new player who I'm trying to help get up to speed. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the fact that he's on a mac, so I gave him instructions for installing the PC version. This is not a technically adept user, he freely admits that his "computer skill is level 0". So really, it's kind of on me for assuming that he had a PC and not asking the question.... But, here we are and I'm still trying to help get him running.

He bought a license from the FG online store, downloaded the installer, and found that it didn't work. He then emailed me to say "Maybe it's not compatible with mac?" To which I facepalmed and shamed myself for not performing troubleshooting 101 and asking what kind of machine he was on. I don't have access to his computer and have offered to perform remote service via teamviewer, but he prefers email or phone based support. This is not a user that could handle a wine install, so I created a video for him on a mac demonstrating how to install steam. He followed the instructions and installed steam and went to get a copy of FG through steam. However, he has indicated to me that there isn't a free trial version available for steam. I have been unable to verify if this is true or not. Since he has already purchased a license, I was hoping to use steam just to simplify the installation for him and then have him input his standard license once installed.

Is this a viable path? If not, I will just have to bite the bullet and go to his house in person to install a wine based copy for him - but it'd be WAY easier if I could talk him through the installation of a demo version via steam and just apply his license after the fact.

Thanks!

Nylanfs
July 1st, 2016, 13:31
This should help.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)

damned
July 1st, 2016, 13:50
Im pretty sure that the Steam version for Mac differs in that the Demo client and the Licensed Client are separate installs...
Probably a week or so after the Steam Sale ends there will be a new round of License syncs and then he will have his FG license in Steam and he can install it there with a few mouse clicks.
If he wont let you do a teamviewer session he is probably not going to handle the Wine instructions...
Id wait the two weeks or so.

nickabbey
July 1st, 2016, 13:53
This should help.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)

He can't handle this... but thanks for the assist.

nickabbey
July 1st, 2016, 13:56
Hmmm.... good to know that the license sync thing works, but two weeks is going to be an issue for us as our play sessions begin next week.
I'm just going to go to his house and install the wine version for him, and then sometime in the future I guess I'll go back after the license sync and do a steam install for him so he doesn't need to know or manage wine/wineskin.

nickabbey
July 1st, 2016, 15:46
Im pretty sure that the Steam version for Mac differs in that the Demo client and the Licensed Client are separate installs...
Probably a week or so after the Steam Sale ends there will be a new round of License syncs and then he will have his FG license in Steam and he can install it there with a few mouse clicks.
If he wont let you do a teamviewer session he is probably not going to handle the Wine instructions...
Id wait the two weeks or so.

How does this work once the license sync happens? Are there instructions or a how-to somewhere? I'm thinking that my ultimate long term goal is to get him on steam so that he doens't even need to know that wine or wineskin exist.

Basically, I want to know what steps to take in steam once the license sync completes.

Moon Wizard
July 1st, 2016, 22:36
Once the license is recognized as a valid license in Steam, then he should be able to use the Add a License feature of Steam to let Steam know he owns a license. Then, he can install from Steam.

This applies to the Standard license only. If he's running a free/demo version, he can just install the demo from Steam right now.

Regards,
JPG

nickabbey
July 2nd, 2016, 18:08
Excellent, that sounds pretty easy, thanks! I ended up going there after work yesterday. He had the steam demo installed but it wouldn't start. I tried updates and running beta versions with no luck. I ended up just installing latest wineskin and installing. Worked out just fine. I'd have preferred to get him on steam but I didn't have time to troubleshoot why it wouldn't start for him