PDA

View Full Version : Using FG between two computers

Meliath1742
June 30th, 2016, 23:47
Game night is run on my "family's" iMac that has a second monitor. But, I spend most of my computer time on my pc laptop. It has FG installed and I would like to use it to create/modify my game campaigns. In the past I've migrated the entire FG folder but I'm wondering if that's overkill. What's the best way to import these changes? Can I just migrate my campaign folders over to the iMac after changes are made? Or is there other files that come into play (that are not obvious) that also need to be ported over?

Talyn
July 1st, 2016, 00:39
I have FG on my laptop as well, and I just manually import the extra files (extensions, mods, whatever) because "everyone" has said repeatedly that using something like DropBox (the client not the service itself) which keeps itself synched automatically causes problems with FG.

Krimson
July 1st, 2016, 00:47
Migrating the campaign folders should work. I was trying to set up a travel computer for a similar purpose, especially after buying the rest of the D&D bundle. The issue I was having was that the updater wasn't updating the new content I purchased, though a couple of weeks ago when I started setting it up I had no problems updating the material I already owned.

LordEntrails
July 1st, 2016, 01:47
I believe a few people use a thumb drive as the FG data directory. You have to make sure it always ends up as the same drive letter etc each time you insert it and would have to make sure it's in before you start FG, but it should work. Do note, thumb drives have relatively high failure rates, so make sure you have another backup of your files.

damned
July 1st, 2016, 02:44
For what you are describing Meliath1742 - just transferring the specific campaign directory is all you need to do.

Meliath1742
July 1st, 2016, 13:18
For what you are describing Meliath1742 - just transferring the specific campaign directory is all you need to do.

Thanks D��