PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to play 5e?

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 21:35
Since this and other similar questions get asked on a fairly frequent basis I have written up a quick guide which hopefully hits the salient points and which at the same time provides a reasonable synopsis of the position. Do let me know if I've missed anything of value. Assuming you think it's of value I'll sticky it in due course.

License considerations:

If you are a player then all you need is the demo license of Fantasy Grounds provided that the DM has an Ultimate license. If the DM only has a standard license then you will need a standard license too.

If you are a DM then having the Ultimate license will allow all of your players to join your game with only the demo license. If you have only a standard license then all of your players are going to need a standard license too.

The ONLY difference between a Standard and an Ultimate license is that with the latter players can join your game with only a demo license. There is absolutely no difference in the content included with either license. No 5e manuals (PHB, DMG, MM etc) are included in ANY license – they are all separate purchases.

What comes with the license?

With a demo license you can access the 5e SRD (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd) and basic rules (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules) (as from April 2018). This will allow you to create some basic characters with all of the limits that come with the SRD and basic rules (see below).

With a Standard or Ultimate license you get the 5th edition ruleset built in, the D&D basic rules and the 5e SRD. The ruleset is what allows you to handle a game of 5e D&D. It allows you to handle character creation, combat and a multitude of other things. However it is only a tool – it does not include content such as the PHB etc.

With the Basic Rules and the SRD you can create characters, encounters, treasures and everything else that you would need to play a game of 5e. However these modules are very much cut down versions of the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual. You will not get the following with the SRD; for characters most of the archetypes, backgrounds, race options and almost all of the feats are missing. For NPCs many of them are missing, as well as all of the background information and all of the artwork. For the DMG; many magic items are missing; all of the dungeon creation and alternative rules are missing as well as all of the treasure tables and many other things.

What do I really need to play 5e?

First of all this depends on whether you are a player or a DM. As a player the only thing you need is a demo or Standard license as noted above. You need nothing else, but see the information on the PHB below. Whilst it isn't necessary for you to own this you might want to in order to create characters offline (provided you have at least a standard license).

As a DM this is a more difficult decision. The three core rulebooks – the PHB, DMG and MM have all been written and optimised for Fantasy Grounds. This means that many features in the FG versions are not available in the paper version. So for convenience alone the purchases are worth it. However here’s some further information on how each of the three volumes might, or might not, be for you.

PHB:
Primarily the PHB is concerned with character creation and the rules for actually playing the game. If you own the PHB then you can make it available to your players so that they can create their characters. Full drag and drop functionality means that players can drag a class, race, background and equipment into their character sheet and (almost) everything will be set up for them ready to play.

Note, however, that the character sheet is not a character builder so some manual intervention is required to get the best out of the character.

The drag and drop functionality links sections of the character sheet to the Player’s Handbook so the player (or the DM) can click on these links to open the relevant section. Of all three of the core rulebooks the consensus is that the PHB is pretty much essential for its ease of use and functionality.

MM:
If you are going to be creating your own campaigns (as opposed to purchasing adventures) as a DM then the Monster Manual will be a very desirable module to own. All of the NPCs are in there complete with background information and full colour artwork that can be shared with players. NPCs from the MM can be dropped into encounters and from there onto the Combat Tracker and onto maps. Each will have a token representing the NPC as well as all the statistics, attacks and defences of the NPC. When placed on the CT the NPCs attacks, spells and other abilities will show up on the CT and as DM you will be able to use those by simply double clicking on the attack, ability or effect.

If you plan to use only published adventures then the MM is perhaps less of a necessity since all of the NPCs in those adventures will come with it.

DMG:
The Dungeons Master’s Guide contains information on how to create worlds, dungeons, campaigns, NPCs, treasures and other rewards as well as detailed guidance on running a game and generally how to be a DM. It also contains many pages of magic items and a huge number of tables for rolling up random treasures, dungeons, personalities and a host of other things.

Whether you need any of this might also depend on whether you intend to make up your own adventures or run published ones. However even if you fall into the latter category the lure of those magic items is great – and with a single roll of a dice you can create a treasure parcel down to the smallest detail. If you roll a sword it will tell you what kind of sword; if you roll a scroll it will tell you what scroll you got; or what gem; or what armour or what potion.

Wherever possible the tables in the DMG have been optimised for use in FG like this. You roll once and if the table entry directs you to roll elsewhere then that roll is made too.

In summary then, the three core rulebooks are not essential but depending on how you run your game it could make life a lot easier, give your players a host of options, give you easy access to information and rules as well as cutting prep time by a considerable amount. It is worth mentioning also that if you have the time and inclination you could add all of the information into Fantasy Grounds yourself and create your own modules for personal use.

Gwydion
July 1st, 2016, 15:44
I think this is a great addition and is definitely worthy of a sticky.

lesliev
February 17th, 2017, 09:11
Thanks, this is useful!

I started out as a DM running converted one-shots with just the $9.99 monthly ultimate license and nothing else. Later I got the PHB and MM and now I have the lifetime ultimate license. This way I could invite anyone into my games without them having to get anything themselves.

It would be interesting to hear how other groups do their licensing.

lschantz
January 25th, 2018, 04:52
It was explained to me that if I own an Ultimate Edition and if I buy the 5th ed books that i can share them with my players so that they do not need to purchase the books in fantasy grounds? I am just trying to cut the expense on their end while taking on the burden of the cost on my end as the dm. Is that an incorrect statement, I feel that making my players buy an e-version of a physical book they already own is jacked up.

damned
January 25th, 2018, 05:04
It was explained to me that if I own an Ultimate Edition and if I buy the 5th ed books that i can share them with my players so that they do not need to purchase the books in fantasy grounds? I am just trying to cut the expense on their end while taking on the burden of the cost on my end as the dm. Is that an incorrect statement, I feel that making my players buy an e-version of a physical book they already own is jacked up.

GMs can share the PHB etc with players.
The FG e-version is not a simple PDF - there are ooodles and ooodles of hours gone into presenting that data in FG format so there is a lot of value add.

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2018, 05:16
Do note that your players will only be able to access your FG version of the PHB while they are connected to your FG campaign (when you are running FG).

Three of Swords
January 25th, 2018, 18:11
I am a longtime Roll20 DM contemplating converting to FG for one adventure to see how it compares. This post is great. It should be stickied. It summed up what I had already learned only through hours of looking.

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2018, 18:54
I am a longtime Roll20 DM contemplating converting to FG for one adventure to see how it compares. This post is great. It should be stickied. It summed up what I had already learned only through hours of looking.
It is a great post :)

It's the first link in the sticky; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

JohnD
January 25th, 2018, 19:16

Pretty sure it won't be just one adventure. :)

Welcome!

SirGraystone
January 25th, 2018, 19:33
You also need some players and your imagination :-)

lschantz
January 25th, 2018, 23:46
Do note that your players will only be able to access your FG version of the PHB while they are connected to your FG campaign (when you are running FG).

Just so I can check again, if I have the ultimate edition my players will still need a standard edition in order to share my books for my campaign. Am I correct in that understanding and if that is correct what is the difference between the standard account and a demo account from a players point of view? I know I keep asking a lot of the same questions and I thank everyone for have patient with me.

Trenloe
January 25th, 2018, 23:56
Just so I can check again, if I have the ultimate edition my players will still need a standard edition in order to share my books for my campaign.
Ultimate allows anyone to connect to your campaign - demo, standard or another ultimate. While connected they have similar functionality. They can all access anything you share with the players.

The main difference between the demo and the standard is that a standard can join any game, whereas a demo can only join an ultimate game.

LordEntrails
January 26th, 2018, 00:30
Just so I can check again, if I have the ultimate edition my players will still need a standard edition in order to share my books for my campaign. Am I correct in that understanding and if that is correct what is the difference between the standard account and a demo account from a players point of view? I know I keep asking a lot of the same questions and I thank everyone for have patient with me.
Nope, sorry to confuse you. Keep asking till one of us makes sense :)

The only difference between standard and ultimate is who can connect to you. As a player if you have a standard license you can connect to any GM (standard or ultimate). As a player, if you have the free/demo (no license) then you can only connect to a GM with the ultimate license (except you might be able to connect to a standard GM as the only player in demo mode).

As for DLC or books, once you are connected as a player to a GM/host, you can download and access any book the GM marks for you to be able to access. But, players can only access those books while they are connected to that GM. (that's what I was trying to clarify in my confusing post). So I just wanted to make sure you understood that even after your players download the books from you, they will only be able to access those books while they are connected to you.

damned
January 26th, 2018, 01:06
So there are a few different scenarios.

If you will always be the GM and/or you have a large pool of players and/or you like to run one shots for random folk - the Ultimate License is a great choice.

If you rotate GMs, if you have a very stable group (and all your players are not the kind that always refuse to spend anything on this hobby that gives them many hours of enjoyment) then having everyperson buy a Standard License is a great option. On Steam you can get 4 licenses for the price of 3. You can only do this one time and you cant have an existing FG license (some Steam rule).

Either of these will get you all connected and can run any of the free rulesets and use any of the SRD material.

The GM must have the ruleset that you want to play.
Any books the GM owns can be shared to players.
Players can open their own books (with GM permission).
Players cannot share books to other players or to the GM.

So you should choose Ultimate or Standard route.
Then the GM should get the system they want and any core books or adventures they want to run.
Eg - You buy or Sub to Ultimate, buy PHB (Complete Core Classes) and Curse of Strahd and youre in business.

lschantz
January 26th, 2018, 02:06
Nope, sorry to confuse you. Keep asking till one of us makes sense :)

The only difference between standard and ultimate is who can connect to you. As a player if you have a standard license you can connect to any GM (standard or ultimate). As a player, if you have the free/demo (no license) then you can only connect to a GM with the ultimate license (except you might be able to connect to a standard GM as the only player in demo mode).

As for DLC or books, once you are connected as a player to a GM/host, you can download and access any book the GM marks for you to be able to access. But, players can only access those books while they are connected to that GM. (that's what I was trying to clarify in my confusing post). So I just wanted to make sure you understood that even after your players download the books from you, they will only be able to access those books while they are connected to you.

Ok cool thank you very much, I get it now.

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2018, 19:49
For numbers, here's an incomplete summary of what's in each source;

Segin
June 30th, 2018, 13:06
If the player creates a character via the races and options in an ultimate gm's game that owns the phb, an the phb is not available when that gm is offline, then what happens to the character he created? Is it saved for when he connects with that gm again... is his character available offline?

damned
June 30th, 2018, 14:27
That character would work fine.

Trenloe
June 30th, 2018, 17:16
Is it saved for when he connects with that gm again... is his character available offline?
All character data is stored in the campaign database on the GMs computer. This is the master data and you will access that th next time you join the GMs session.

You have a read only copy of your PC stored locally on the computer that you used to last access the GMs campaign. This data is from the cache when you last connected, so it may not directly related to the data in the GMs campaign (if the GM made some changes to your character, for example). Access this campaign cache data through The FG Manage Characters functionality.

TazStrip
January 7th, 2019, 21:19
Thanks, this is useful!

I started out as a DM running converted one-shots with just the $9.99 monthly ultimate license and nothing else. Later I got the PHB and MM and now I have the lifetime ultimate license. This way I could invite anyone into my games without them having to get anything themselves.

It would be interesting to hear how other groups do their licensing.

As dm I have an ultimate lisence. Then I bought the PHB, DMG, MM. My players wanted things put of other books. So they game me the money to purchase on my account so the could have access to those races and classes.

Callum
January 15th, 2020, 10:03
This is a great post, Zacchaeus! You might consider adding links to the the 5E Basic Rules (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules) and the 5E SRD (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd), so people can see what these contain. It's probably also worth mentioning that people can manually add any information they need that isn't in the Basic Rules or SRD.

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2020, 10:17
This is a great post, Zacchaeus! You might consider adding links to the the 5E Basic Rules (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules) and the 5E SRD (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd), so people can see what these contain. It's probably also worth mentioning that people can manually add any information they need that isn't in the Basic Rules or SRD.

Good points; I've updated the first post accordingly.

Jefferton
April 2nd, 2020, 05:55
Hi guys,

I've been talking with some friends about starting a D&D campaign and just ordered hard copies of the PHB, DMG, and MM yesterday. With the whole COVID-19 thing going on, I figured we could play over skype or something similar, which is how I found out about Fantasy Grounds. I just received my hard copies today (gotta love Amazon). Should I return them and buy them on FG instead?

Zacchaeus
April 2nd, 2020, 10:31
Hi guys,

I've been talking with some friends about starting a D&D campaign and just ordered hard copies of the PHB, DMG, and MM yesterday. With the whole COVID-19 thing going on, I figured we could play over skype or something similar, which is how I found out about Fantasy Grounds. I just received my hard copies today (gotta love Amazon). Should I return them and buy them on FG instead?

Hi Jeff. welcome to the community.

That's a decision for you. What I can tell you is that the FG modules contain everything in the hardcopy - the only difference being you can't read them anywhere you want; just inside FG.

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2020, 15:49
Hi guys,

When I started 5E some years ago I made the decision to only but on FG. Been quite happy with that decision.

It took a little getting used to for reading everything in FG and not on paper, but once I got used to it, I'm quite happy. My laptop weights about 4 pounds and has dozens of books on it. And an FG book is more functional (to me) than a printed book ever is.

notrealdan
April 3rd, 2020, 04:45
I buy the books on FG and primarily use them just there. Since I still like having the actual physical books also, I put the hardcovers on my Amazon wishlist. Then they just appear around the holidays and my birthday. :)

Jefferton
April 3rd, 2020, 22:27
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll hand onto the books. By coincidence, some of my buddies just hit me up to start an online D&D campaign, but they're insisting on playing on Roll20, so having the physical books will come in handy there. I'll do some research on just how tedious it is to input the books manually on FG.

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2020, 18:34
Regarding the confusion with 3 rule books for D&D 5E... (from another thread, but was suggested to include the info here)

Unlike previous/other SRDs, the 5E SRD is not intended for use as rules for playing. It's designed as a sourcebook for third parties to be able to build 5E compatible supplements. The monster list and the items list does become very handy for DMs to pull from though. But character creation is... very restricted.

The Basic Rules you should consider a quick start. They are the free introduction to D&D. They provide all the rules a player and GM need to get started running the simplest of characters and adventures. This is the teaser so people can see what D&D is about and play enough to get hooked. ('Here, try a taste, it's free!')

The PHB is then of course the full set of rules for core character creation and player info.

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 01:02
Thank you for this helpful starting post!

Just some additional questions about D&D5 pre-made campaigns (forgive me but I am a newbie GM, and many thanks in advance):

1- some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen') suggest "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" or "D&D Character Customization Pack":
why do some campaigns suggest such modules and not the "Players Handbook"?
Is it not enough to have/load the "Players Handbook"?
If I have "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" and "Players Handbook", do you suggest to load both or just one of them?

2- if I am a veteran GM, is it in some way useful to load the DMG?

3 - which are the differences between the Monster Manual and the D&D Complete Monster Pack?

4- why some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Curse of Strahd') require the built-in 5E Ruleset? What does it mean: the PHB, the MM and the DMG as well?
Why such campaign suggests also the D&D Complete Monster Pack? Aren't all the needed monsters already included in the campaign module?

5- when I play a D&D5 pre-made campaign in a specific setting (for example 'Scourge of the Sword Coast'), do you recommend to load the setting module too (in this case: 'Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide')?

6- may I load two different campaign modules (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen' and 'Curse of Strahd') in the same play? Is it only useless or worse because confusing?

7- (this is more general, maybe off-topic): some monsters have already a specific token linked, that you can't replace because the monster sheet is "read only" marked. How can I replace it? Should I make a copy of the monster sheet and then edit it?

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2020, 03:44
Thank you for this helpful starting post!

Just some additional questions about D&D5 pre-made campaigns (forgive me but I am a newbie GM, and many thanks in advance):

1- some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen') suggest "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" or "D&D Character Customization Pack":
why do some campaigns suggest such modules and not the "Players Handbook"?
Is it not enough to have/load the "Players Handbook"?
If I have "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" and "Players Handbook", do you suggest to load both or just one of them?
Initially WotC did not allow FG to call it the Player's Handbook. But it was/is the same things and has all the same content etc. More recently they have allowed FG to call it the Player's Handbook. Not all reference to the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" have been updated to PHB.

2- if I am a veteran GM, is it in some way useful to load the DMG?
If you are running the module as written you won't need it. But if you want to change out treasures, add magic items, etc. then yes it would be useful. But you can load (and unload) it as needed.

3 - which are the differences between the Monster Manual and the D&D Complete Monster Pack?
Same things as the PHB. Originally FG was not allowed to call it the Monster Manual.

4- why some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Curse of Strahd') require the built-in 5E Ruleset? What does it mean: the PHB, the MM and the DMG as well?
Why such campaign suggests also the D&D Complete Monster Pack? Aren't all the needed monsters already included in the campaign module?
Not sure why some mention the 5E ruleset, since it's built-in/included its irrelevant.

The MM is probably suggested so you can access graphics (non-letter) tokens and might also be used for some optional encounters where you might want to add additional creatures.

5- when I play a D&D5 pre-made campaign in a specific setting (for example 'Scourge of the Sword Coast'), do you recommend to load the setting module too (in this case: 'Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide')?
I don't. But if there is something you want to reference, then you can open it. Again, open it when you need it, no need to keep it open.

6- may I load two different campaign modules (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen' and 'Curse of Strahd') in the same play? Is it only useless or worse because confusing?
Yes you can. It's only a challenge because then story, map, item, etc lists become much longer. You can filter each of those, but by default they will show all entries.

7- (this is more general, maybe off-topic): some monsters have already a specific token linked, that you can't replace because the monster sheet is "read only" marked. How can I replace it? Should I make a copy of the monster sheet and then edit it?
Yes, or just replace the token in the Encounter. You can actually have 5 goblins in an encounter and put a unique token on each one :)

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 09:26
Thank you LordEntrails, really appreciated.

Some more clarifications:

Initially WotC did not allow FG to call it the Player's Handbook. But it was/is the same things and has all the same content etc. More recently they have allowed FG to call it the Player's Handbook. Not all reference to the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" have been updated to PHB.
Are there also some more differences between PHB and D&D Complete Core Class Pack? For example, as I understand the former is an unique book/module, while the class pack is divided in several packs, which maybe are more practical because allow you to upload only the classes (pack) you need?
The same question for MM and Monster Packs..

Not sure why some mention the 5E ruleset, since it's built-in/included its irrelevant.
Does it refer to the basic ruleset included in any FGC license?

The MM is probably suggested so you can access graphics (non-letter) tokens and might also be used for some optional encounters where you might want to add additional creatures.
Dont you find adding MM a bit awkward, since a lot of monsters will be displayed twice (unless you select just one of the two sources)?

I don't. But if there is something you want to reference, then you can open it. Again, open it when you need it, no need to keep it open.
May I load/unload some modules also after the first selection I made at the start of the game session? Or have I to exit, start again and make a new selection?

Yes, or just replace the token in the Encounter. You can actually have 5 goblins in an encounter and put a unique token on each one :)
This is the most important point now: HOW can I do it?

Zacchaeus
April 8th, 2020, 10:05
The PHB and the Complete Core Class pack are one and the same thing. The only difference is the name.

Each of the Class Packs contain only one class so if you are a player and want to just play a fighter then that could be an option. If you are the DM then you'll want the PHB since it contains everything. Same for the MM - each individual monster pack just contains those monster types; so if all you want is to use Dragons then the dragon pack is all you need. Personally I can see no benefit in buying the monsters in packs over just getting the MM.

No it refers to the 5e ruleset. Not sure either why the module refers to requiring it.

If you have the Monster Manual then this would allow you to change any of the monsters in an adventure if you wanted to. You do not need to have the MM open during play but would need it for preparation if you wanted to change any of the monsters in an adventure. Unless you want to be able to change monsters in an adventure you don't need the MM to run one.

Yes you can load/unload modules any time you like.

Start an encounter and drag one NPC into it. Drop a new token on the token at the far left of the NPC. Drag another monster into the encounter and it will create a new line; change the token and keep doing the same thing until you have all the monsters with the tokens that you want.

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 10:37
Thank you Zacchaeus.

The PHB and the Complete Core Class pack are one and the same thing. The only difference is the name.

Each of the Class Packs contain only one class so if you are a player and want to just play a fighter then that could be an option.
I am confused now (see above the bolded parts): the Complete Core Class pack is composed by multiple - and separate - packs, one for each class, and they all together have the same contents/classes of the PHB...right?

No it refers to the 5e ruleset. Not sure either why the module refers to requiring it.
What does ' built-in 5E Ruleset' mean? The PHB + MM + DMG?
This is the source: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5ECOS

Yes you can load/unload modules any time you like.
How?

Start an encounter and drag one NPC into it. Drop a new token on the token at the far left of the NPC. Drag another monster into the encounter and it will create a new line; change the token and keep doing the same thing until you have all the monsters with the tokens that you want.
When you write "drag one NPC/monster into the encounter" you mean drag it in the Combat Tracker or in the map?

Trenloe
April 8th, 2020, 11:05
So that people know it is only for the 5E ruleset, and cannot be loaded in other FG rulesets.

Zacchaeus
April 8th, 2020, 12:06
So that people know it is only for the 5E ruleset, and cannot be loaded in other FG rulesets.

Ah sorry, we are talking about the store description. For whatever reason I thought we were talking about the contents of the actual module.

Zacchaeus
April 8th, 2020, 12:11
Thank you Zacchaeus.

I am confused now (see above the bolded parts): the Complete Core Class pack is composed by multiple - and separate - packs, one for each class, and they all together have the same contents/classes of the PHB...right?

The complete Core Class Pack was the name given to the Player's Handbook originally. The Players Handbook contains everything - all of the classes; all of the rules; all of the customization options. The Players Handbook is a single module which contains everything that the class packs and the customization packs include and a lot more.

What does ' built-in 5E Ruleset' mean? The PHB + MM + DMG?
This is the source: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5ECOS

The ruleset is the framework which allows you to play the game. It contains the templates for character sheets; knows how to roll the dice; knows what an attack and damage is etc. It does not contain any DLC such as the PHB. MM or DMG.

How?

When you write "drag one NPC/monster into the encounter" you mean drag it in the Combat Tracker or in the map?

I mean drag it into the encounter. Click on 'Encounters'; create a new one and drag NPCs into it.

More information on encounters here, https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/721028/5E+NPCs+and+Encounters

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 12:13
OK, thank you again Zacchaeus.

Last two questions/doubts on ruleset:

The ruleset is the framework which allows you to play the game. It contains the templates for character sheets; knows how to roll the dice; knows what an attack and damage is etc. It does not contain any DLC such as the PHB. MM or DMG.
So the 'built-in 5E Ruleset' cited is the ruleset included in FGC Standard by default?

About a different ruleset: Numenera is another ruleset included in FGC Standard by default, but it doesn't have NPC, right?

Zacchaeus
April 8th, 2020, 12:46
OK, thank you again Zacchaeus.

Last two questions/doubts on ruleset:

So the 'built-in 5E Ruleset' cited is the ruleset included in FGC Standard by default?

About a different ruleset: Numenera is another ruleset included in FGC Standard by default, but it doesn't have NPC, right?

Yes both of these rulesets are included by default. You should see both rulesets in the start screen even with the demo license.

You are correct in that Numenara, whilst it is a supported ruleset, there is no content available for it under license.

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 12:55
Thanks all of you, you've been useful.

Edit: I didn't find in the initial post an insight about modules composed by a Players module and by another module (usually a DM module).

For example: Volo's Guide to Monsters is divided into a DM only module and a Player's module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5EVGM)
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide likewise is divided into a Campaign Guide module and a Player's Guide module.

As DM, what is suggested to load? Both or just the DM module? What is the purpose of such two modules? If I load both, I will find duplicates in items, npc, etc? (I find annoying the duplicates in the FG list)

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 16:44
Could anyone clarify what I asked in my previous post?

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2020, 17:41
Thanks all of you, you've been useful.

Edit: I didn't find in the initial post an insight about modules composed by a Players module and by another module (usually a DM module).

For example: Volo's Guide to Monsters is divided into a DM only module and a Player's module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5EVGM)
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide likewise is divided into a Campaign Guide module and a Player's Guide module.

As DM, what is suggested to load? Both or just the DM module? What is the purpose of such two modules? If I load both, I will find duplicates in items, npc, etc? (I find annoying the duplicates in the FG list)

As the DM, just load the DM/full/complete module 99% of the time. It will already (99%*) have everything the player module has and so you don't need it. It is there so that you can share it with your players so they can have access to things like races and classes for character creation.

*The only module that has a players module and DM module that does not contain all the player content is the Unearthed Arcana module.

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 18:00
As the DM, just load the DM/full/complete module 99% of the time. It will already (99%*) have everything the player module has and so you don't need it. It is there so that you can share it with your players so they can have access to things like races and classes for character creation.

*The only module that has a players module and DM module that does not contain all the player content is the Unearthed Arcana module.

If I understood correctly, the DM module contains everything the player module has and therefore as DM:
- I don't need to load the player module
- I may share with the players what they eventually need from DM module

So I renew my previous question: what is the purpose of the Player module?! It looks useless (for a DM, at least)..

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2020, 18:12
Player modules are for players. They are not designed to be used or needed by GMs.

By having a player module, it allows all the content a player would need to be shared with players in one action. Otherwise the DM would have to share each class, race, and feature of those races and classes individually.

Galdor
April 8th, 2020, 18:32
Everything is more clear now, thank you!

Is there a way to highlight all such information, which I guess are very useful for newbies?

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2020, 18:45
Everything is more clear now, thank you!

Is there a way to highlight all such information, which I guess are very useful for newbies?
Glad you got what you needed for now.

It's tough to say what new people need. We get a lot of different types of questions from different people. There is the User Manual which is a good basis, but after that it really seems different people need different info. SmiteWorks has tried putting the help links from the website menu and that has lots of info too.

I use the Site Search tool from the menu a lot. But if you can't find what you need, just ask. Also think about taking a class at FG College. All free and very friendly folks.

TeddyQ
April 10th, 2020, 22:46
My understanding of the DM vs Player version of a module is to allow you to easily access or share only the relevant portion to the module needed. So you could allow your players access to the Player relevant portion of a module without giving them access to the entire module's information. For instance giving them access to additional backgrounds while preventing them from seeing stats for monsters.

Bartivardi
July 7th, 2020, 09:43
Hi! I suspect I know the answer, but just want to confirm: Is there a reason to by a physical copy of a module if I already have it in FG? Specifically, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to purchase Curse of Strahd if I have it in FG.

What I'm really wondering is if the analog version has more information/backstory/whatever than is present in the FG version, or if the content is effectively identical.

Zacchaeus
July 7th, 2020, 10:06
Hi! I suspect I know the answer, but just want to confirm: Is there a reason to by a physical copy of a module if I already have it in FG? Specifically, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to purchase Curse of Strahd if I have it in FG.

What I'm really wondering is if the analog version has more information/backstory/whatever than is present in the FG version, or if the content is effectively identical.

Hi Bartivardi, welcome to FG.

The Fantasy Grounds modules are replica's of what is in the physical books. So every word and image, that is in the physical book is in the FG module. I addition of course the FG module contains all the monsters, tokens, artwork for monsters, magic items, artwork for magic items, rollable tables, maps all ready to play with pins for story entries, pre-placed encounters and a good deal more. SO, in short unless you need to the book to play in a face to face game the FG module is more than sufficient.

Bartivardi
July 7th, 2020, 10:18
That's what I thought. Thanks!

damned
July 7th, 2020, 13:44
I still (re)buy some books in dead tree format but mostly these days just to support my local games store.
There isnt enough room on my book shelves for many more game books and the reality is - I play online waaaaaaaaaaaay more than I do in person.

GavinRuneblade
July 7th, 2020, 18:17

There are some books (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFG5ELD106328 for example) where the layout and art are so good, I want a physical copy to look at from time to time. There are some (rarer and rarer these days) that the physical book comes with a map or other handout I like. And there are some that are just easier to read in my hands rather than on the screen. In general though, I am happy with the online product.

Though I'd kill for both FG and ePub versions of my whole library.

hunafin
July 25th, 2020, 11:10
Thanks you just stopped me from wasting a lot of money since I thought purchasing a license would come with at least the three core books

damned
July 25th, 2020, 11:27
Thanks you just stopped me from wasting a lot of money since I thought purchasing a license would come with at least the three core books

How do you know it would be a waste?
There is a 30 day refund policy so you can try it out and if its not what you were after you can refund it.

hunafin
August 1st, 2020, 14:40
'Waste' May have been to harsh a word. More accurate he saved me from being unreasonably angry after purchasing the license.

hammer58
August 28th, 2020, 18:29
Ok I have read this thread. Still I have a question. I will be using Fantasy Grounds Unity, and playing D&D 5e with it. We do want to buy the module Temple of elemental evil, but it is in 1e rule set.
So can we run this module in 5e with fantasy grounds? Can the 1e version be used like this and converted to 5e rules or will it not work like that?
How difficult is it to convert it? DO I need to do more than just covert the monsters to the 5e versions? Does it help to have the 5e monster manual plug in? Or is that required to do this?
What else is needed to make this work besides just the basics?

Have any of you done this already? What was your experience with it, if so? I understand that the unity engine has some issues, and doing this will probably cause it to break, or expose issues known or even unknown?

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 18:55
Ok I have read this thread. Still I have a question. I will be using Fantasy Grounds Unity, and playing D&D 5e with it. We do want to buy the module Temple of elemental evil, but it is in 1e rule set.
So can we run this module in 5e with fantasy grounds? Can the 1e version be used like this and converted to 5e rules or will it not work like that?
How difficult is it to convert it? DO I need to do more than just covert the monsters to the 5e versions? Does it help to have the 5e monster manual plug in? Or is that required to do this?
What else is needed to make this work besides just the basics?

Have any of you done this already? What was your experience with it, if so? I understand that the unity engine has some issues, and doing this will probably cause it to break, or expose issues known or even unknown?
Welcome!

There is a community extension called the Universal Module Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension), it will allow you to open a module written for one ruleset in a different ruleset. So in your case you could purchase the ToEE 1E module and open it in a 5E campaign. BUT, you should only expect the story entries and maps to work. As I'm sure you know, 1E and 5E have very different combat statistics and the mechanics are different too. So all the NPCs (monsters) and magic items etc are going to need to be re-done. How you 'convert' those is up to you.

Do you convert a 1e orc by using the stat block of a 5e orc or do you figure out some way to intepret the hit points, AC, damage, etc to things that work in 5E? Most folks use the simpler method of just replacing the older NPCs with the stat blocks of the new ones and then look at encounter and encounter per day balances to 5E. Because again, healing and challenges etc are different in the two editions.

Also, you can look at Classic Modules (https://classicmodulestoday.com/), it has conversion to 5E of many classic modules that you can buy conversion notes on the the www.dmsguild.com that will give you these conversions, but assume you already own the original version (i.e. no maps and room descriptions etc included). Here's the link to the conversion for ToEE; https://www.dmsguild.com/product/209010/Classic-Modules-Today-T14-Temple-of-Elemental-Evil-5e

Granamere
August 28th, 2020, 19:54
I am going to say I have bought one of the "Conversion Guides" and I will not be buying anymore. The "guide" no joke just listed each monster in the module and what page it could be found in what 5e book it was in. It did not do anything toward balancing the fight or even listed what creature was in what room of the module. They also do not have any of the maps or text from the original module so you will need to buy the original.

This is an example of what it had
Kobolds: Kobold (MM 195, CR .125 (25 XP))

I think I could have done this myself and not needed the "guide"

It did also give some ideas for NPCs in the module but it also added items to them that are not in the original and it does not tell you what was added. It also left out items like armor the Kobold Chieftain was wearing. If you looked at the AC it gives for the chief and read the text from the module you can figure it out. So maybe I just expect too much from a conversion guide.

IMO they are a waste of money and you would be better off converting it yourself.

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 20:43
The various Classic Module Conversions are done by different people, to different standards, make sure you read the reviews. Their are also other conversion on the DMsG done by different people. None of them have I used and therefore do [edit] NOT I endorse them, I only know they are available.

Granamere
August 28th, 2020, 20:59
The various Classic Module Conversions are done by different people, to different standards, make sure you read the reviews. Their are also other conversion on the DMsG done by different people. None of them have I used and therefore do I endorse them, I only know they are available.

You do endorse them??? :o

I completely agree with the read the reviews. I might be judging the series badly by the one I bought and other might be better. I will say the one I bought had a bunch of positive reviews and one reviewer I should have taken to heart that expressed my same opinion but I did want to know how another DM was doing the conversion so I bough it. From what I have read since then they all use a template to do the conversions so I have low hope for out ones.

hammer58
August 28th, 2020, 21:58
Welcome!

There is a community extension called the Universal Module Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension), it will allow you to open a module written for one ruleset in a different ruleset. So in your case you could purchase the ToEE 1E module and open it in a 5E campaign. BUT, you should only expect the story entries and maps to work. As I'm sure you know, 1E and 5E have very different combat statistics and the mechanics are different too. So all the NPCs (monsters) and magic items etc are going to need to be re-done. How you 'convert' those is up to you.

Do you convert a 1e orc by using the stat block of a 5e orc or do you figure out some way to intepret the hit points, AC, damage, etc to things that work in 5E? Most folks use the simpler method of just replacing the older NPCs with the stat blocks of the new ones and then look at encounter and encounter per day balances to 5E. Because again, healing and challenges etc are different in the two editions.

Also, you can look at Classic Modules (https://classicmodulestoday.com/), it has conversion to 5E of many classic modules that you can buy conversion notes on the the www.dmsguild.com that will give you these conversions, but assume you already own the original version (i.e. no maps and room descriptions etc included). Here's the link to the conversion for ToEE; https://www.dmsguild.com/product/209010/Classic-Modules-Today-T14-Temple-of-Elemental-Evil-5e

So to sum this up, this is all theory and is available but you have not actually done it. So it may or may not work as advertised. At least I have an idea of what is available to help me.
And I know it is supposed to be possible to do this. But does it really work?
I would like to hear from someone that actually did this with toee 1e module and used it with the Universal module extension with Fantasy grounds unity engine in 5e rules.
I would like to know exactly how universal that module extension really is.
The conversion is not a problem. I already did a conversion on paper from 1e to 5e. I am just looking for an easier way to do it than importing all of my own data manually.
I do like to do things the easy way when possible. So I am asking, has anyone done this and is their an easy way to accomplish the task?
If you had to do it all over again how would you do things different? lessons learned and all that. I do not have to reinvent the wheel if someone already has an easy way.

LordEntrails
August 28th, 2020, 22:09
So to sum this up, this is all theory and is available but you have not actually done it. So it may or may not work as advertised. At least I have an idea of what is available to help me.
And I know it is supposed to be possible to do this. But does it really work?
Yes it really works. I have used the UME. If you consider "works" with the caveats I stated and that the extension develoer states in his post, then yes it works exactly like it is supposed to.

I would like to hear from someone that actually did this with toee 1e module and used it with the Universal module extension with Fantasy grounds unity engine in 5e rules.
Hopefully someone who has done that exact things will chime in, but give it's a pretty specialized single use case, it's unlikely you will find someone with those exact qualifications. If you are worrying about buying FG or the ToEE module, the FG Store has a 30 day refund policy for any reason. So you can get a refund if it somehow does not meet your expectations.

I would like to know exactly how universal that module extension really is.
I don't understand your statement. What's unclear about the extension? Is there something missing or unclear in the linked post?

Granamere
August 28th, 2020, 23:20
LordEntrails is right and I bet he has converted a bunch of 1e modules. Universal Module Extension will allow you to open ToEE 1e. I have both and have done it. While I have not converted ToEE 1e I have converted The Keep on the Borderlands 1e. I would open a encounter and just change the monsters out for the 5e version of them. I would then adjust group size so they did not overwhelm the party. If you want a quick conversion that is all you need to do. Now if you want to tweak the boss fights you just make a copy of the 5e create and change the stats so they fit the boss fight you want. Some of the treasure will come over but others that are linked the the 2nd ed books you will need to grab the 5th edition version and swap them out like you are doing the monsters.

The one thing I would not do is just try and modify the stats on the 1e monsters and think it would work. It is a pain and not worth the time. If you want to hop in discord and see what all I am talking about I would be glad to show you.

hammer58
August 28th, 2020, 23:35
Yes it really works. I have used the UME. If you consider "works" with the caveats I stated and that the extension develoer states in his post, then yes it works exactly like it is supposed to.

Hopefully someone who has done that exact things will chime in, but give it's a pretty specialized single use case, it's unlikely you will find someone with those exact qualifications. If you are worrying about buying FG or the ToEE module, the FG Store has a 30 day refund policy for any reason. So you can get a refund if it somehow does not meet your expectations.

I don't understand your statement. What's unclear about the extension? Is there something missing or unclear in the linked post?

Your answers seem ambiguous to me. When I asked if you used it for the purpose I am going to use it for, I mean have you opened a 1e module into a 5e rule set game.
When you say you have used it that great, but implies that you used it in a manner that I will so as to prove it works. I understand it works or it would not be sold.
But there are different levels of works. Bugs ect... That is why I am being specific. I am not looking for a general yes statement.

hammer58
August 28th, 2020, 23:38
LordEntrails is right and I bet he has converted a bunch of 1e modules. Universal Module Extension will allow you to open ToEE 1e. I have both and have done it. While I have not converted ToEE 1e I have converted The Keep on the Borderlands 1e. I would open a encounter and just change the monsters out for the 5e version of them. I would then adjust group size so they did not overwhelm the party. If you want a quick conversion that is all you need to do. Now if you want to tweak the boss fights you just make a copy of the 5e create and change the stats so they fit the boss fight you want. Some of the treasure will come over but others that are linked the the 2nd ed books you will need to grab the 5th edition version and swap them out like you are doing the monsters.

The one thing I would not do is just try and modify the stats on the 1e monsters and think it would work. It is a pain and not worth the time. If you want to hop in discord and see what all I am talking about I would be glad to show you.

Thank You. That is what I wanted to know.

hammer58
September 1st, 2020, 18:48

Well, Here is my experience so far with fantasy grounds unity ultimate. Just bought it on steam along with toee 1e module. Spent hours trying to get it to sync up with the fantasy grounds web site. Finally get it registered. Now can not open toee 1e with 5e rule set. Asked support@fantasygrounds for help. They say it can not be done. They tell me, 1e modules can only be opened in 1e or 2e rules sets.
I have been at this now for 8 hours and have no joy. Spent hours watching self help videos. Spent over $200 for this already and if it works the way I want it to will spend several hundred more.
But all in all. This has been the most frustrating computer experience of my life to date. And I started back in the day writing my own batch files to get programs to work in dos with a dual boot into win 3.1 and loading drivers into high memory blocks. That was easier than this is. As of now still can not open toee 1e in 5e rule set. And have no idea how to proceed from here other than total refund of everything.

The problem for me is the universal module extension is not available on steam and You can not mix content from steam with fantasy grounds purchases.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2020, 19:59
Well, Here is my experience so far with fantasy grounds unity ultimate. Just bought it on steam along with toee 1e module. Spent hours trying to get it to sync up with the fantasy grounds web site. Finally get it registered. Now can not open toee 1e with 5e rule set. Asked support@fantasygrounds for help. They say it can not be done. They tell me, 1e modules can only be opened in 1e or 2e rules sets.
I have been at this now for 8 hours and have no joy. Spent hours watching self help videos. Spent over $200 for this already and if it works the way I want it to will spend several hundred more.
But all in all. This has been the most frustrating computer experience of my life to date. And I started back in the day writing my own batch files to get programs to work in dos with a dual boot into win 3.1 and loading drivers into high memory blocks. That was easier than this is. As of now still can not open toee 1e in 5e rule set. And have no idea how to proceed from here other than total refund of everything.

The problem for me is the universal module extension is not available on steam and You can not mix content from steam with fantasy grounds purchases.
Support told you that because the Universal Module Extension is a community developed extension and is not supported by SmiteWorks. But it works just fine. You must download it from the link provided earlier. And you must manually install it. And if it ever updates, you must manually update it.

Yes you can install it on a Steam Licensed version of FGU. The Steam license does not alter how FG behaves. Install the UME in your Extensions sub-folder of your Data Folder. Then you must enable it (like all extension) prior to launching your campaign.

hammer58
September 1st, 2020, 20:20
Support told you that because the Universal Module Extension is a community developed extension and is not supported by SmiteWorks. But it works just fine. You must download it from the link provided earlier. And you must manually install it. And if it ever updates, you must manually update it.

Yes you can install it on a Steam Licensed version of FGU. The Steam license does not alter how FG behaves. Install the UME in your Extensions sub-folder of your Data Folder. Then you must enable it (like all extension) prior to launching your campaign.

Ok Thanks, I thought it was a purchased module. And I found it and got it to work. So 10 hours later I finally opened toee in rule set 5.

Good thing I am retired and can devote lots of time to this project. It is going to need it. For immediate use in our pen and paper game I just want it for line of sight and mapping utility. I will add more functionality as I go.

LordEntrails
September 1st, 2020, 20:32
Don't hesitate to jump on the FG or FGC Discord servers. Question like this can often be answered in a few minutes :)

roblobster1981
February 25th, 2022, 07:17
Our group has several DMs so we all have a standard license. No standard license- no game