PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to tell FG to not download a module already on the client?

Galach
June 30th, 2016, 21:06
Well, first I want to proudly announce that four of my five players just bought Fantasy Grounds Standard license earlier this week, after their first two sessions using the Demo version in my game (those occasions were the very first two times they used FG). My fifth player said me he is also planning to buy a license in the Steam sale later this week.

Anyway, now one of those players is creating a 5th ed. campaign, and I already rolled a character for it. During a brief test to see if he would be able to host the game as DM, I noticed that FG downloaded the PHB all the way from his FG to my own.

Thing is, I also have all the three core rulebooks, and while this download didn’t had a great impact on the connection, I am thinking on when he will have 4 or 5 more players connected to the game session.

So, there is a way to tell FG to not download from the server a module that is already present on the client, avoiding unnecessary network/internet traffic?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 21:23
You have the option as Host (DM) to not make the PHB available to your players in the Library (Drag the red cross onto the icon beside it). However in your case (if I understand things correctly) you can't selectively disable downloads to a particular player. When you join the game the DM's copy of the PHB will download to your player cache whether you have the PHB or not. So it's all or nothing; the DM can share with everyone or no-one. But if the other players don't have the PHB then they're not going to be able to create characters.

Galach
June 30th, 2016, 21:35
You have the option as Host (DM) to not make the PHB available to your players in the Library (Drag the red cross onto the icon beside it). However in your case (if I understand things correctly) you can't selectively disable downloads to a particular player. When you join the game the DM's copy of the PHB will download to your player cache whether you have the PHB or not. So it's all or nothing; the DM can share with everyone or no-one. But if the other players don't have the PHB then they're not going to be able to create characters.

Yes, you understood correctly =)

In our group, both that player and I bought the PHB, but the other three players not. So, I would not need to download the book, but the other players would.

Well, maybe in a future update, FG could include an inner check like “read DM activated modules -> ask clients if they are present there -> if no, download module/if yes, mark as active in the client and do not download it”.

I know that this seems very easy when we said it, but to implement it would probably be a great deal of work.

However, since two weeks ago we are talking about people playing FG through satellite connections, for example, this kind of thing would be a nice way to relieve unnecessary network traffic and speed up things.

=)

LordEntrails
June 30th, 2016, 21:53
Note, you'll only ever have to download it once per campaign. So, you take the download hit the first time, but not after that.

But, you could make the suggestion on the official list; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

damned
July 1st, 2016, 02:30
What is the size of the Cache folder on your computer for this game?
AFAIK it would not have downloaded the PHB if you already had the PHB on your system.

Galach
July 1st, 2016, 03:33
What is the size of the Cache folder on your computer for this game?
AFAIK it would not have downloaded the PHB if you already had the PHB on your system.

Well, the size of the cache folder for that game is 496KB, but since that was the very first time connecting to that game, I bet the folder was being created that time too.

Don’t know if that could be an issue, but I acquired FG from FG Store, but the D&D 5th ed content from Steam.

damned
July 1st, 2016, 03:48
The PHB is more like 10 or 20MB (I dont know how big it actually is as its locked up in the vault) so it didnt download. All data downloaded for that game campaign is stored in that cache folder. It may have reported downloading the PHB but as you already had your own it checked and then started the next step.

Galach
July 1st, 2016, 04:42
The PHB is more like 10 or 20MB (I dont know how big it actually is as its locked up in the vault) so it didnt download. All data downloaded for that game campaign is stored in that cache folder. It may have reported downloading the PHB but as you already had your own it checked and then started the next step.

Ouch!

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for this mess... It reported to be downloading the book, and took some time on that, so I tought it was actually making the download.

damned
July 1st, 2016, 06:20
No - its no issue. Thats how we all learn :)

Zacchaeus
July 1st, 2016, 09:11

And this is today's lesson.