PDA

View Full Version : Magic/spell slots for NPCs

msd
August 16th, 2005, 16:45
How are people keeping track of known/available spells for NPCs as there does not appear to be a specific area where this can be entered?

To the developers: is this something that might make it into a future version?

Crusader
August 16th, 2005, 16:51
A slight oversight perhaps. But it should be easy enough to add extra elements to the NPC-sheet though. Once you figure out the 'dynamic' (in lack of better word) position-reference system used on the NPC-sheet.

msd
August 16th, 2005, 17:08
But it should be easy enough to add extra elements to the NPC-sheet though.

Perhaps. But it doesn't seem like I should have to learn to program just to add functionality which should presumably be there in the first place.

My opinion only...

richvalle
August 16th, 2005, 17:36
When doing the WA conversion for Necro games I put the bad guys spells in the 'descriptions' on the first window.

rv

msd
August 16th, 2005, 18:00
When doing the WA conversion for Necro games I put the bad guys spells in the 'descriptions' on the first window.

Yep. That seems like the only reasonable place for them to go at the moment...

richvalle
August 16th, 2005, 18:32
If I remember right, you can drag and drop them from the spell list into the page. Makes it nice as you can referance the spell later.

rv

Crusader
August 16th, 2005, 20:44
Perhaps. But it doesn't seem like I should have to learn to program just to add functionality which should presumably be there in the first place.

My opinion only...

Fair enough, but that's fun too. :wink:

I don't use the D20 system at all so I'm afraid I don't know what to add, but I'm sure there's someone here that knows the D20 system and could add them?

kalmarjan
August 16th, 2005, 23:45
Not that this has anything to do with the d20 system, per se, but to add the NPC spell tab to the program, you need to first, create the graphic. Change the other graphics to show the new spells, figure out the area that is to be edited, change the 3 different xml files to reflect this, then all of the NPCs that you have in the campaign! Then to top it off, probably all the monsters as well, due to the fact the monsters are using the same template as the NPCs. So you are talking about a major change in format here!

Suffice to say, if this is to be done, I would like to see the new stat block format introduced in the DMG 2 as the new NPC pages.

If someone wants to PM me, and share the tasks, I would be interested in making this request a reality! Thing is, I cannot do it alone! So this is a call to all of you XMLers in this community! A Call to ARMS! lets make this a reality!

Peace,

msd
August 16th, 2005, 23:59
Suffice to say, if this is to be done, I would like to see the new stat block format introduced in the DMG 2 as the new NPC pages.

Shoot. I will have to look at that. I will confess that I bought the book and then proceeded to put it down after reading the first couple of pages. It wasn't that I wasn't interested but things just came up.

I will have to drag it out and take a look at the new block format...

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Crusader
August 18th, 2005, 08:39
Not that this has anything to do with the d20 system, per se, but to add the NPC spell tab to the program, you need to first, create the graphic.

Actually, no. The NPC-sheet uses a different way to actually show the fields than the character sheet. In the string- and numbercontrols you have the tag
<frame name="controlarea" offset="0,0,0,0" /> that automatically creates a slightly brighter area around the control (it is actually a white but transparent png that is 'dynamically resized'). The offset tells the program how far edges is supposed to be from the actual text, or something like that.

That means that all you have to do is to increase the size of the NPC-sheet (which is also dynamically resized so all you need to do is to change the size in the codes) to make room for the new field and then add the fields.

kalmarjan
August 18th, 2005, 19:17
Okay, I see what you mean. What I think we would want to do is add an extra tab to the NPC and Monster sheet. Then you could click to see the spells at a glance.

okay, but if we change the npc for spells, should we not only change that, but the monsters as well? and for this, it will need new codes for the database, such as:
<spell_level1="burning hands, shocking grasp"/>
<spell_level2="flaming sphere"/>

am I off base here?
I think there is more involved than just updating the NPC sheet, as you will need to go back and change all existing NPCs you have to match this no?

Another thing,
If we were to change to the new statblock format, there would be four fields:
1: Description, name and Cr and stuff
2: Defensive Information
3: Offensive information
4: Misc Information, such as items and such.

How hard will this be to incorparate? I will start the process if someone just pushes me into the right direction. I would do it just to have it.
Help, someone, please.

Cheers.

msd
August 18th, 2005, 19:57
I think you're right in the things you have said - ideally, monsters that can use spells should have a space where that information can be stored.

For the meantime, however, I think a quick fix to the NPC sheet would be awesome. Personally (and others may readily disagree), I have more NPCs in my campaigns with magic abilities than I do monsters.

Again, YMMV. I am just trying to see if there is a way to do a quick fix to get the ball started.

-Matt

kalmarjan
August 18th, 2005, 23:02
Okay, tonight I will work on the extra tab for the sheets... if someone want to tackle the code to do so... let me know. If I get finished tonight, I will post the results, and the zip file at adventuresomedreams.com.

Cheers,

kalmarjan
August 19th, 2005, 05:08
Alright!
I got ambitious, and made a whole new set of tabs! Now I just need someone to go over them, and point me in the next direction. I will get this done, I just need to know how.

Any takers?

Check out the tabs to see what I mean Here. (https://www.adventuresomedreams.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=22)

I want to do these based on the new stat block format in the DMG 2 and dungeon magazine. I am trying to see now how these things work, then I will go from there.

Let me know, okay?

Crusader
August 19th, 2005, 07:24
I'll have a look at it. I have figured out the code to some degrees, but as I said, I have absolutely no grasp whatsoever on D20, so you guys need to help me out what fields you want and where.

kalmarjan
August 19th, 2005, 12:40
Okay... Cool.

I will post tonight what I think we need.

For a head start, I think I have figured out the name bar, and the CR box. These I want to appear on every page, as they are the most looked at part of the new stat block.

for the name bar, the coordinates are 52,32,-175,20

for the CR box, coordinates are 413, 22, -88, 42

I think.. :)

richvalle
August 19th, 2005, 13:02
This sounds quite exciting. Sorry I can't help but I can cheer you on from the sidelines...

Go! Go!

:)

rv

Crusader
August 19th, 2005, 14:15
Ok, I won't have any time to do actual coding until sunday, but give some thought what should be on each page until then and we'll see what we can whip out of this. 8)

Ram Tyr
August 19th, 2005, 14:15
This sounds quite exciting. Sorry I can't help but I can cheer you on from the sidelines...

Go! Go!

rv

Go! Go!

Ramza

Crusader
August 22nd, 2005, 09:04
I have done some work on this, but rather than displaying it here, I'll start a new thread for this at the workshop.

See you there! 8)

Crusader
August 22nd, 2005, 09:41
Whoa, I have the last post on four of the forums here. Been busy, I have! :P

kalmarjan
August 22nd, 2005, 17:40
Sorry, a lot of things came up this weekend. I will have the format that is wanted tonight for the coding purposes.

See you then!

Crusader
August 22nd, 2005, 20:37
I'll probably (hopefully) be sound asleep then. :wink:

But I'll get to work in the morning. It's been slow on the job lately, so I can hopefully have something to show by the time you wake up. :)