PDA

View Full Version : Death Domain Cleric - Effect for Inescapable Destruction

neologiker
June 30th, 2016, 04:16
Does anybody know if it's possible to set up an effect in FG for the Death Domain Cleric feature "Inescapable Destruction"? The feat reads, "Starting at 6th level, the cleric's ability to channel negative energy becomes more potent. Necrotic damage dealt by the character's cleric spells and Channel Divinity options ignores resistance to necrotic damage."

If setting up an effect won't work, any easy workarounds?

Thanks!

damned
June 30th, 2016, 05:35
Does anybody know if it's possible to set up an effect in FG for the Death Domain Cleric feature "Inescapable Destruction"? The feat reads, "Starting at 6th level, the cleric's ability to channel negative energy becomes more potent. Necrotic damage dealt by the character's cleric spells and Channel Divinity options ignores resistance to necrotic damage."

If setting up an effect won't work, any easy workarounds?

RPGs suck for programming because they are full of exception and exceptions to the exceptions.
This particular scenario is going to happen how often? Very rarely Id imagine. Just adjust the damage back up when it happens.

neologiker
June 30th, 2016, 06:22
RPGs suck for programming because they are full of exception and exceptions to the exceptions.
This particular scenario is going to happen how often? Very rarely Id imagine. Just adjust the damage back up when it happens.

Thanks for your reply, damned. Unfortunately, this is going to happen very often, since I'm playing a Death Domain Cleric ;-)

damned
June 30th, 2016, 06:23
But how many creatures have resistance to necrotic damage?

neologiker
June 30th, 2016, 06:30
Good question. I think it's somewhat common. We are playing Curse of Strahd right now, so quite a few undead, I think.

Mavrik6666
June 30th, 2016, 08:41
Thinking out loud... if you change the damage type in the spell or action to 'Necrotic' capital 'N' the parsing for resist and immune wouldn't work , making resistance not work ?

I think :)
the draw back being if a creature is vulnerable to necrotic (less likely in a Strahd adventure :0 ) it wont register either

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 08:54
There isn't a way to create an effect for this unfortunately. However there are a couple of things; first as damned says there's not a lot of creatures who resist necrotic damage and second the DM can turn off the creatures resistances in the CT just before you do your damage.

neologiker
June 30th, 2016, 14:01
There isn't a way to create an effect for this unfortunately. However there are a couple of things; first as damned says there's not a lot of creatures who resist necrotic damage and second the DM can turn off the creatures resistances in the CT just before you do your damage.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll take Zacch's suggestion.

El Condoro
July 3rd, 2016, 15:41
Add an effect Inescapable Destruction; VULN:necrotic; [ROLL] [TARGETS] (the VULN negates the RESIST on the target creature e.g. wight and the necrotic damage takes full effect for the next damage roll).
Roll the damage dice and the effect is then removed.

Zacchaeus
July 3rd, 2016, 16:00
Add an effect Inescapable Destruction; VULN:necrotic; [ROLL] [TARGETS] (the VULN negates the RESIST on the target creature e.g. wight and the necrotic damage takes full effect for the next damage roll).
Roll the damage dice and the effect is then removed.

Well done that man. This indeed overcomes resistance whilst leaving immunity to necrotic damage intact. It never occurred to me that VULN would overcome RESIST for some reason.

Nickademus
July 3rd, 2016, 22:11
It never occurred to me that VULN would overcome RESIST for some reason.

Today's lesson?

Zacchaeus
July 3rd, 2016, 22:56
Today's lesson?

Yes! I never considered VULN as an offensive effect. But it's good to learn something new ��