PDA

View Full Version : Poisoned effect from monster does no damage to target?

Zulkahn
June 30th, 2016, 03:09
I'm setting up a module (out of the abyss) and I'm adding one of the monsters to the monster tracker for my players to control. While testing it's attacks I noticed that it successfully applies the poisoned effect, and the timer counts down with each successive round, however, the target takes no damage from the poison. Here is the ability text from the monster:
Poisoned Bolt
Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one creature. Hit: 4 (1d6+2) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Here's the ability information from the combat tracker entry:
Poisoned Bolt [R] [ATK: +4] [DMG: 1d6+2 piercing] [SAVEVS: constitution 12] [EFF: Poisoned (D:1 MIN)]

Anyone have any idea why the target is taking no damage?

sasigns
June 30th, 2016, 03:11
Same issue here the rounds on the duration click down but no damage is being done.

sasigns
June 30th, 2016, 03:14
Here you can see the npc Jimjar with the highlighted effect and the goblin that it is placed upon above him

spite
June 30th, 2016, 03:33
Poison in fifth edition does not do any damage over time.
But the effect you are looking for, if you want to set up a DOT, is "DMGO: xdx + x damagetype" for example "DMGO: 1d4 + 1 poison"
This will apply that damage every round on that creatures turn until the duration ends.

Source: PHB Appendix A, Conditions
"Poisoned.
* A poisoned creature has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks"

This will be implemented automatically on the creature that has the poisoned effect, and all attacks they make and checks they make will be at disadvantage.
A poison damage over time will specify such an effect in the spell/poison description.

Zulkahn
June 30th, 2016, 03:46
Ah, thank you for the quick reply! :)
How does one go about adding in damage over time to an NPC's attack? I know about the DMGO effect and how to apply it to a PC's abilities, but I'm still working through NPC creation. Do I just add text to the ability that states "The target will continue to take damage over time DMGO: 1d4 every round until a save is made or the duration ends." If I do that will it add this to the effect that I see in the combat tracker?

spite
June 30th, 2016, 04:09
I am not sure of the wording you need for the program to automatically pick it up, but based on a creature that has a similar ability it'd be something like the middle of this section https://puu.sh/pKYGU/ca58ef0a20.png

Moon Wizard
June 30th, 2016, 05:17
In the original post, the first answer is correct in that the poisoned effect does not apply ongoing damage.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 09:18
There are some instances where creatures do poison damage over time but in this case it doesn't. Be careful of adding in more damage to the poisoned PC or NPC because having the poisoned condition already gives them a considerable disadvantage. If you add in ongoing damage to that you are likely to wipe out the party in pretty short order.

Octavious
July 1st, 2016, 19:01
You may be best just to add 1dX poison damage along with being poisoned on a failed save rather than ongoing damage effect as the ongoing damage racks up pretty fast. If damage worked in float numbers (fractions) then it would be feasible with lower HP PC.