PDA

View Full Version : Shadow run 4th ED LFG/LFP

Lumastin
June 29th, 2016, 23:38
Hello fellow runners, I am looking to form a group of people interested in playing Shadowrun. I would pref to be a Runner but will be willing to GM a few games till one of the players feels up to running a bi-weekly shadow run game. I am looking for a long term game. I live in USAPST but i am awake at odd hours so feel free to ask.

The world is not only Awakened -- it's wired. Cyber and bioware implants make your meat body better-than-flesh, while the wireless Matrix enhances your perceptions with hyper-real senses. Deals are made in steel and lead more often than gold or nuyen; success and failure live only a razor's edge apart. Creatures of myth and legend walk the streets, while the arcane skills of spellslingers are in high demand. Above it all, monolithic megacorps bleed the world dry, sabotaging each other in covert cutthroat competition as they go to war over the bottom line You're a shadowrunner, a street operative, scratching out a living on the mean sprawl streets. You may be human, elf, dwarf, ork or troll. From lethal street samurai to well-connected info brokers, spell-slinging mages or code-cracking hackers. No matter what, you're a professional --corporate pawn or "deniable asset," you get the job done. Shadowrun, Fourth Edition offers a completely new rules system that is simple, integrated and accessible. The state-of-the-art has also been advanced, introducing a new level of augmented reality, new gear, new magical discoveries, and more.

Fobok
June 30th, 2016, 05:30
I would absolutely love to be involved in this. I've been wanting to play Shadowrun for years. My available days are Tuesdays to Thursdays, or Fridays in the afternoon (Eastern time) but not the evenings.

Unfortunately, I doubt I could be much of a GM, as I've never even actually tried the system yet.

Lumastin
June 30th, 2016, 15:16
not a problem every group needs players i haven't set up a game for this yet because i didn't know how fast a group would get started. but the first 5 people who show interest will be in, and its fine, im happy to run and maybe one of the other players will be interested in GMing bi-weekly. so we now need 4 more.

DM|Mag
July 1st, 2016, 19:49
I would be interested in playing, the last several games I've attempted to join just fell apart so I've only got about 2 sessions under my belt, but familiar with character creation. I'm in NY, and can do just about any time besides 11 am to 6 pm Eastern on Saturdays. Definitely a crunch heavy system one should play in before DM'ing, else I'd offer to DM. I'm just not familiar enough to run this system yet without playing it. I'd avoid the tech end of things and run either a dwarf mage or an adept of some kind I am thinking, as an FYI.

Lumastin
July 2nd, 2016, 03:10
NP thats why im willing to run weekly for a month or two before someone takes over and we run bi-weekly because i know this game only appeals to a select few table top games, but if your an experienced gm its easy once you have have a few consecutive sessions so you can get the theam of the world right, i had to read the fluff books because no one in my town liked the rule systems. 2/5 need three more

Nylanfs
July 2nd, 2016, 04:04
Got some interest in the Shadowrunners Union FB group. They want to know when, and do you have an Ultimate license?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shadowrunnersunion/permalink/786639458140286/?comment_id=786825951454970&notif_t=group_comment&notif_id=1467408666662445

scraigon
July 2nd, 2016, 17:48
I am currently part of a Round Robin Shadowrun 4E game.
A round robin is where we rotate Gms, changing hands after each mission.
We keep the same crew, players and characters.
We each take a turn as GM.
We play over skype and roll20.
If you are interested drop a line.
[Roll20 game name: Shadowrun Round Robin Style]

Lumastin
July 2nd, 2016, 18:56
4th edition is with D6 i have never done a round Robbin style for anything before wouldn't mind trying it out but its starting to look like i have a full group and im not the type to bail on a group unless i dont like something about it, what days do you play? as for my license, i have been trying to find out what it is, nut my cheep *** probably taught the cheapest monthly subscription i could get, if you have three guys we could start as soon as Tuesday at 5pm PST

Fobok
July 2nd, 2016, 20:58
You need the Ultimate license if you want to GM for people who are using the free version. That is, really, the best option I think, though it is more expensive.

damned
July 3rd, 2016, 03:03
You need the Ultimate license if you want to GM for people who are using the free version. That is, really, the best option I think, though it is more expensive.

I think the best way is to have all the players get their own license (even though I too have an Ultimate).

Lumastin
July 3rd, 2016, 03:13
i think when i payed for it i had used up my free plays so i was thinking everyone eventually needs to get one so why pay for a more expensive one, anyways we are getting off topic even tho im happy for the free bumps =3

Fobok
July 3rd, 2016, 03:36
I think the best way is to have all the players get their own license (even though I too have an Ultimate).

Sorry, I meant for attracting sceptical players from the Facebook group. :) I wouldn't have tried FG if I'd had to pay for it for my very first game with it. After I did try it, though, I went and bought Ultimate. :)

Lumastin
July 3rd, 2016, 03:47
np, tbh im not that serious of a GM i run maybe one or two games that last a couple months a year and the rest im just playing.

Fobok
July 3rd, 2016, 04:56
I've been skimming the rules, Shadowrun 4th edition doesn't seem as complicated as I thought. I'd have to do a lot more reading still, to read about various subsystems like magic and the matrix and all that, but I might be willing to give GMing a try after all. I'd probably want to start with a published adventure, something to slowly work myself into things with as it's been many years since I last GMed anything and I can be rather shy at times, but it might be fun.

*ETA: Just to clarify, this is just a statement of 'I'm willing to try'. :) If you still want to, Lumastin, or someone else more experienced comes along, I'm perfectly happy just playing. Just revising my initial reluctance to GM.

Lumastin
July 3rd, 2016, 06:35
think of it this way magic is your biggest pain in the *** the matrix is just like a mini dungeon for the hackers they have to hack each room and if they fail the hack they have to fight ICE the level of ICE depending on how high the security alert is biased on how many times they have failed at hacking. Magic there are really only like 6 spells redone over with different elements, you have 4 main none combat types of spells and two main types of combat spells, one combat spell dose stun damage, and the other dose lethal damage, the mage decides how strong the spell is biased on how much he damage he thinks he can take from the recoil, every spell dose damage to a mage but he always has a chance to save it.

Fobok
July 4th, 2016, 01:49
Okay, yeah, magic does look kind of complicated. Your explanation does make things a little clearer, however.

I'm still willing to give it a try. I'll need some time to prepare, maybe a week, if you want me to. And to grab an adventure, though there's already one I'm looking at that looks quite epic.

If not, I have to figure out how to solve a problem for Tuesday, as I accidentally double booked.

Lumastin
July 4th, 2016, 02:41
we are probably going to just be doing character creation on Tuesday, we still need two more guys for my game, and take your time i planned on running as game master for at least a month before i thought anyone would be confident enough to run a game of there own.

Lumastin
July 4th, 2016, 03:08
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2081

Fobok
July 4th, 2016, 03:10
Very cool. A month or more would be great, to get used to the system better. :)

ianmward
July 4th, 2016, 04:02
Okay, yeah, magic does look kind of complicated. Your explanation does make things a little clearer, however. I'm still willing to give it a try. I'll need some time to prepare, maybe a week, if you want me to. And to grab an adventure, though there's already one I'm looking at that looks quite epic. If not, I have to figure out how to solve a problem for Tuesday, as I accidentally double booked.

The Shadowrun4 ruleset takes care of a lot of the complicated stuff by automating the resistance and drain rolls and automatically applying damage.

Similarly for combat it automates the resistance and armour rolls and automatically applies damage.

It lets you enjoy the game and not worry (too much) about the rules :-)

Fobok
July 4th, 2016, 04:20
Thanks, that's reassuring to know. :)

DM|Mag
July 4th, 2016, 18:01
@Lumastin: I'm interested long term, but I didn't realize you'd be jumping on starting tomorrow. I got some news that is putting my gaming stuff at a screeching halt for the short term in my personal life. Some things just got shifted into a very high priority, must be done ASAP over the next few weeks that I just cannot ignore. I will attempt to get together a dwarf mage/adept in chummer tonight or tomorrow and show up for the 8 pm eastern session to input character data though. If I don't make it, it's because I'm at a hospital.

Lumastin
July 4th, 2016, 18:04
NP man RL comes first tomorrow is mostly just for character creation and if everyone has the time we might do something but unlikely

DM|Mag
July 4th, 2016, 19:17
OK, in the event I can't make it tomorrow, but find time to craft a character in chummer between running back and forth to the hospital. Character creation info? Like can I pull from Street Magic and get some goodies out of Runners Companion? Standard 400 BP, or Karma Gen? If Karma Gen, using the fix that was printed in the german conversion to make it more user friendly? Limits and things you don't want, or just as the book, SR 4e? SR 4e Anniversary instead?

Edit: Black Trenchcoat, brown business suit, or pink mohawk type as well?

I'm in the hospital with family, so likely not going to make it tonight. I've been playing with chummer and working on an adept sniper or a dwarf all purpose mage for two concepts to bounce between as needed. Not summoner, just mage with heal and stealth and combat options.

Fobok
July 7th, 2016, 19:46
I waited around on Tuesday, but never got sent any server information, nor were they on the calendar. Though, in my case, it was probably good that nothing happened. I was going on three hours sleep that day.

anima110
July 17th, 2016, 04:28
is this still going on iv been looking to play a game some time

Fobok
July 17th, 2016, 20:07
I think this is pretty much gone, unfortunately. Still somewhat tempted to try my hand at GMing, (never GMed Shadowrun before but I really do miss GMing, it's been nearly a decade since I have), but I really want to spend some more time reading and learning the system and setting before I jump in.

DM|Mag
July 17th, 2016, 20:32
If you choose to do so, I'm in the same boat. I'd be understanding with a DM first trying their hand at the system. It's so much crunch to process to wrap your head around it can get absurd. One of the reasons I lean towards mage and adept options. The absurdity of the customize your own gear options makes the tech heavy character options mind boggling to keep track of.

Fobok
July 21st, 2016, 06:42
Looking at the rules, and how complicated they are, and how much and what specifically changes in SR5… I might end up going with five after all, though I know that fantasy grounds doesn't support it. Yet. It just seems that if I'm going to learn a new system, I should go with the newest version. There's a lot less catching up to do, and I'll be in position to follow into the future. SR 4 has so many rules and supplements to catch up on, and from what I've seen many of them are not user-friendly compared to SR5.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for the moment, I'm still thinking about it.

Manta78
August 1st, 2016, 16:22
Hi all, I would be interested if a game is up ? Anyone using fifth edition ? I have not played SR since 1st edition many, many years ago and even then it was not a regular group and we didn't play for long- but I fell in love with the setting. Looking through the %e rulebook, it appears a LOT has changed. Would love to join a game- even if its just to mess around and learn the rules as a group/GM and bounce questions off more experienced players.