PDA

View Full Version : Changing "Personalities" to read "NPCs" in the module library

chopkins779
June 29th, 2016, 21:39
Hello, I'm trying to make a random encounter module that I can use across multiple campaigns. I'm in a testing phase before I add more of the NPCs to the list. A small irksome problem arose when I exported the NPCs and it reads "Personalities" instead. I thought that changing the string name from "Personalities" to "NPCs" would change the name in the library but it didn't. Or rather, when I changed the string name alone, the module stopped showing up as an option to load under the library.

I attached a redacted version of the code I'm working with right now. It's pretty much the standard exported code from FG (unchanged). Can someone help me with this tiny thing?

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2016, 21:45
I don't think there is a correlation between the xml in a module and the interface. In other words although it reads personalities in the xml of the module the npc's button is coded into FG itself. If you wanted to change the name of the button then you'd need an extension.

chopkins779
June 29th, 2016, 22:09

You mean I have to get an extension that allows me to export "Personalities" as "NPCs" for a button in the module that reads "NPCs" in the list? Edit: I want something like the picture attached.

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2016, 22:16
No, I mean you will need an extension to change the button on the FG interface to change NPCs to Personalities. Or are we talking at cross purposes?
I read that you want the button in the FG interface to read 'Personalities' instead of 'NPCs'.
The .xml from your export is using 'Personalities' to mean 'NPC's'. You can't change that because if you do the xml will no longer be understood. When you open the module it will list the NPC's as NPC's even though the xml says personalities.

chopkins779
June 29th, 2016, 22:25
I added a screen shot above to help better explain. In the SRD Bestiary on the right side column it reads "NPCs". When exporting my own NPCs that button is replaced with "Personalities". I'm wondering if I can change that somehow.

chopkins779
June 29th, 2016, 22:36

And here it says "Personalities" in the library list.

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2016, 23:01
Ah, I see. I just tested it and if you change both instances of 'Personalities' to 'NPCs' then in fact NPCs shows up instead of Personalities. Perhaps you introduced some other error?

Nickademus
June 29th, 2016, 23:36
Perhaps you introduced some other error?

Yes, can you screenshot the first image after you changed the string name from "Personalities" to "NPCs".

chopkins779
June 30th, 2016, 02:43

chopkins779
June 30th, 2016, 02:43
Literally the only thing I've changed is "Personalities" to "NPCs".

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 09:35
An obvious point but worth pointing out. I suppose you did rename the db back to what it should be and zipped up the module correctly?

If those were the only two changes you made it will work, so there's something other than that change that's causing the module not to appear.

chopkins779
June 30th, 2016, 14:28
Yep. Renamed it back to db.xml after. I had a friend try it as well who is a programmer and it still didnt work. The module doesnt show up in the library if any changes are made.

chopkins779
June 30th, 2016, 15:15
Have you tried it yourself? Because Im finding this maddening.

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 18:00
Yes, that's how I know it works. See the attached screenshots.

So what I did was:
1) Start a new campaign
2) Added one NPC and exported it as NPC Test
3) Cut the module from the modules list and changed the .mod to .zip, extracted everything and opened up the db.xml in Notepad++
4) Changed both instances of 'Personalities' a to NPCs and saved the file (and took a screenshot)
5) Selected everything inside the NPC Test folder right click and select send to zip file
6) Change the name back to NPC Test.mod and copied it back into the mods folder in FG
7) opened FG, found the mod opened it and took a screenshot.

chopkins779
June 30th, 2016, 19:53
Hmmm. Thats a little different from what i did. I just replaced the db.xml file in the zipped file by overwriting it without a full extraction. I will try taking it apart entirely and putting it back together like you did.

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 20:11
Hmmm. Thats a little different from what i did. I just replaced the db.xml file in the zipped file by overwriting it without a full extraction.

And therein lies your problem :)

chopkins779
June 30th, 2016, 23:48
oh, god damn it. the reason it wasn't showing the changes is because I had another file still in there that was overwriting it. same file except the one change. works perfectly now. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Nickademus
July 1st, 2016, 00:01
Zacchaeus: 1 | Fantasy Grounds: 0