PDA

View Full Version : Distance and TN?

Talyn
June 29th, 2016, 16:16
Buddy and I tried out Deadlands Reloaded last night just to get a grip on how SW works in general, and DLR in particular. One of the rules is that if you use a pistol in melee range, your TN is the target's Toughness rather than the usual 4 for ranged attacks. However, FG apparently doesn't track the actual distance (my token next to the villain NPC token) and from what we can tell, anything I do for my TN can't be seen by the GM. It also used TN 4 despite setting it to 6. Is there a way for the GM to set what my TN should be in this case without actually telling me the NPC's Toughness?

It was our first time so we probably did a few things wrong.

OH! That reminds me. Modifiers. Despite having all the eyeballs set to "Visible to all" I as the player could not see any of them so if I was taking cover, or whatever, I could not set that. Is that Working As Intended?

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2016, 16:45
You are correct in that FG does not use distance for any calculations. The distance shown along lines is there just for your convenience.

I don't know Deadlands but the normal SW rule is that you use pistols in melee against Parry. To use a ranged weapon in melee and force the roll against parry click on the little cross-like icon just above and to the right of the +damage dice until it says 'use current targets for rolls against parry'. Remember to reset it back to normal after the attack. I don't think you can roll a ranged attack against toughness automatically; I thought toughness came into play when deciding damage rather than whether you hit or not. The only way I can think of would be to modify the attack roll by the difference between 4 and the toughness. (I.e if toughness was 6 then apply a -2 to the attack roll).

I don't think the TN is used for working out attacks via the CT. What I think it is used for is dragging a result of an attack into it and it will tell you what the result is (i.e how many Raises you get etc). So if you set it to 6; roll for the attack and then drag that result into the Score part it will show whether you hit and how well you hit. I could be wrong of course since I still have a bit to learn about this ruleset myself.

I, too came across this thing where the players couldn't see the modifiers. I reported it but it seems to have fixed itself; however I realised afterwards that I was looking at the player's view from a second instance of FG. When I used it with real players they could see it fine. As you describe it though that isn't working as intended.

Talyn
June 29th, 2016, 18:58
That's right, I meant Parry. But yeah, we couldn't get it to recognize the correct TN instead of 4. I didn't know about the little icon though, I will look for it.

We're kinda new to FG and it seemed like if I want to crouch into cover that I should click that myself but my whole Modifiers frame was empty.

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2016, 21:50
Yes, you should indeed be able to add modifiers yourself. If it's still not showing up next time I'd report it as a bug. It may be ruleset related or it could be intermittent or dependent on some other thing such as an extension perhaps.

jshauber
June 30th, 2016, 05:22
That's right, I meant Parry. But yeah, we couldn't get it to recognize the correct TN instead of 4. I didn't know about the little icon though, I will look for it.

We're kinda new to FG and it seemed like if I want to crouch into cover that I should click that myself but my whole Modifiers frame was empty.

The modifier Box will be empty unless you manually add something to it. If you have effects that modify an attack already on you that show on the tracker, you should see those when an attack is made against you. i.e cover might show as (effect -2) modifier in the die roll output.

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2016, 09:13
The modifier Box will be empty unless you manually add something to it. If you have effects that modify an attack already on you that show on the tracker, you should see those when an attack is made against you. i.e cover might show as (effect -2) modifier in the die roll output.

He means that the modifiers dialog doesn't have any modifiers in it - and it should have dozens. The DM can see them but not the players.

jshauber
June 30th, 2016, 13:37
He means that the modifiers dialog doesn't have any modifiers in it - and it should have dozens. The DM can see them but not the players.

My Bad!!! Thought he was talking about the modifier field below the chat window, not the modifier list from the button on right side...

Meliath1742
July 1st, 2016, 00:13
You're correct about the TN box...its just a quick way of figuring out how many raises your attack number equates to.

Hawker75
July 20th, 2016, 04:28
I believe that the target icon near the marshal's star can be set to force use parry as TN.