PDA

View Full Version : Installation Setup - No Campaign Rulesets

FoolishMortal
June 29th, 2016, 06:33
Just bought this off of Steam and installed it. Opened it up - after it checked for updates, I went to the "create campaign" menu and - all the campaign rulesets are highlighted in red.

It only lists Basic Roleplaying, Call of Cthulu, Castle and Crusades, Rolemaster Classic, and Savage Worlds. Nothing else. And the only option I have is to purchase these. There are no other rulesets available like I was led to believe this would have.

While checking for updates it kept saying the steam client was unavailable, even though I was logged in. But I didn't buy any DLC so I wouldn't think that would affect anything. But maybe I am mistaken.

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2016, 07:35
It sounds like the update did not complete correctly, you should have a number of other rulesets in the Create Campaign screen (including CoreRPG, 3.5E, 4E, 5E, PFRPG, Fate Core, Numenera).

Can you run the Update again from the Fantasy Grounds launch screen?
Does the updater report any errors?
If not, can you click on the folder icon in the upper right of the FG launch screen, and try copying files to that location?

Also, what Operating System are you running?

Regards,
JPG

damned
June 29th, 2016, 07:51
Hi FoolishMortal and welcome.
What did you read or hear that said that Basic Roleplaying, Call of Cthulu, Castle and Crusades, Rolemaster Classic, and Savage Worlds would be included with the base license? If there is something written out there that is causing confusion post t here so it can be reviewed.
Fantasy Grounds comes with rulesets for 3.5e, 4e, 5e, Pathfinder and CoreRPG only. It includes the full 5e SRD and 5e Basic Rules, and a chunk of the 3.5e and pathfinder SRDs. All other rulebooks and references for 5e are commercial add ons. The rulesets you listed are all commercial add-ons. There are a stack of community rulesets available from the Wiki - these do not contain reference material / sourcebooks but contain some or lots of ruleset specific features.
Are you on a Mac or a PC? If you are on a Mac Steam Sync doesnt work. Untick it. If you buy DLC you should buy it here because Macs cannot download FG DLC from Steam.

FoolishMortal
June 29th, 2016, 08:36
Running Windows 7 for anyone curious.

I finally got it to work - had to run Steam as "Administrator" and try to update again. Still keeps saying it can't talk to steam but the other rulesets show up now.

What did you read or hear that said that Basic Roleplaying, Call of Cthulu, Castle and Crusades, Rolemaster Classic, and Savage Worlds would be included with the base license? If there is something written out there that is causing confusion post t here so it can be reviewed.

I know those rulesets did not come with the basic license. I was just noting those were the only things showing up - and even then they were just purchase options. Nothing that was supposed to come with the basic license was appearing.

dulux-oz
June 29th, 2016, 08:40
Excellent - glad you got things working.

Now, on a related note: If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE Sound, Locations, Weather and Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2016, 09:41
Those rulesets have empty entries built into the launcher to show that they can be purchased, even when not installed. That's why FoolishMortal was seeing them in red.

Regards,
JPG

damned
June 29th, 2016, 10:37
Running Windows 7 for anyone curious.

I finally got it to work - had to run Steam as "Administrator" and try to update again. Still keeps saying it can't talk to steam but the other rulesets show up now.

I know those rulesets did not come with the basic license. I was just noting those were the only things showing up - and even then they were just purchase options. Nothing that was supposed to come with the basic license was appearing.

If you run Fantasy Grounds as Administrator you will also need to run Steam as Administrator. It is better to not run either as Administrator if possible. If FG desnt work without you running it as Administrator then there are likely some permissions issues on your Fantasy Grounds data directory.
On the FG splash screen click the folder icon to load the data directory. Navigate up one level and right click on the Fantasy Grounds folder and choose properties. Give your user, or Users or Everyone all permissions except the Full Control one and then retry FG without Admin permissions...

Trenloe
June 29th, 2016, 11:03
File access details and options here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30604-Windows-file-access-issues-can-t-update-campaigns-not-saving-etc-Fix-options