PDA

View Full Version : Where is the "Par5e User Guide"?

Fudly
June 29th, 2016, 00:17
At the very end of the Par5e tutorial video, he says, "After much consideration, I've decided not to include parsing a "referencemanual.txt" in this tutorial, as reading the PAR5E User Guide is a must to having any reliable understanding..."

I can't find the user guide anywhere.

Fudly
June 29th, 2016, 00:20
Of course, immediately after posting this I find it: https://github.com/drzeuss/PAR5E/tree/master/dist/PAR5E-linux/docs

Fudly
June 29th, 2016, 00:35
Upon further inspection, that link goes to an old version of par5e and the real trick is to look in the directory of your parse download for a docs folder.

damned
June 29th, 2016, 01:20
Upon further inspection, that link goes to an old version of par5e and the real trick is to look in the directory of your parse download for a docs folder.

Hi Fudly that is the correct answer.
The guide is not maintained and I believe there may be some errors - particularly for CoreRPG.

Nylanfs
June 29th, 2016, 01:55
Because software developers suck at documentation...

Fudly
June 29th, 2016, 02:07
The docs themselves are actually pretty nice. The only problem I've had so far is that they don't say how to set the module's image. It was easy in older versions, but he removed that field from the program.

rob2e
June 29th, 2016, 07:29
I'll bet if someone offered an online seminar (hint: those that are proficient) for an hour or two on Par5E, people would PAY!?

damned
June 29th, 2016, 07:33
You will have to get familiar with the 200+ pages of Par5e questions and answers.
Place the file thumbnail.png at the same level as your input folder (not in your input folder) and thats all (afaicr)

Fudly
June 29th, 2016, 07:38
Thank you damned

ianmward
June 29th, 2016, 09:58

Because if you need to read the manual, you are not worthy.

Manuals, like asking for directions when driving, are for whimps!

:p

Varsuuk
June 30th, 2016, 19:23

I totally fill my code with full Doxygen header docs, name variables and methods to be clear what for/do and open use asserts and inline comment blocks to explain pre/post reqs but I'll be damned if I ever produced as good an attempt at documentation as Zuess did in those pdfs. Note saying they are not without ambiguities or missing things - but damn it is like whole orders of magnitude above mine.