PDA

View Full Version : AutoTrack Spell Use?

argovian
June 27th, 2016, 16:27
Is there a way (or an extension) for Fantasy Grounds to auto-track when my players cast a spell and mark off the spell slot that was used?

Thanks for the help,

Zacchaeus
June 27th, 2016, 16:34
Hi argovian, welcome to FG and to the community.

I assume that you are talking about 5e (but this applies across all rulesets I think). The answer is no; you can't track spell use automatically. This is becasue in 5e you have the ability to cast spells at higher levels and there isn't a way for FG to know what level you want to cast the spell at. So marking off the spell slots has to be done manually.

argovian
June 27th, 2016, 17:58
Hey Zacchaeus,

Thanks for the quick reply. Its a pitty that it couldn't track that (what level it was cast at) by tracking what level the effect was used in.
For example if you cast bless at level 1, you'd click the effect icon there and then if you decided to cast at level 2 you'd click an effect button there.

I realize this would greatly clutter the spells, but was one idea to keep track of what spell slot you'd used up.

Zacchaeus
June 27th, 2016, 18:50
Indeed, there has been some discussion on this including a fairly lengthy post from Moon Wizard about the difficulties in implementing automatic spell slots - but unfortunately I can't find that post. It would require a great deal of clutter in the character sheet; and a considerable amount of additional coding to enable all of this to be handled automatically - especially for spells that could be cast at 7 or 8 different levels.

Nickademus
June 27th, 2016, 18:53
If you want to track a wand use, you might be able to make it a ranged weapon. Each time you roll and attack (even if the attack does nothing), it marks off one ammo. Just treat the ammo as wand charges and click 'attack' to 'cast' the wand.