PDA

View Full Version : Are Effects available in CoC ruleset?

Magnimost
June 27th, 2016, 13:44
See subject. For example, how do I add an armor which halves damage from ranged weapons?

Many monsters have armor or other effects which are not applied at all in the ruleset, and I believe Effects can be used for that. The wiki has a long explanation of Effects for DnD, but nothing for CoC.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2016, 20:49
All the effects in CoC are just informational, and for tracking purposes. There just has not been as much demand or need for effects in CoC.

You can ask the guys working on the 7E version of CoC to see if they are adding any (damned, ianmward).

Cheers,
JPG

Magnimost
June 27th, 2016, 21:49
Ok, thanks. Not really a game breaker, just requires me to un-assign targets whenever a monster has armor or other mitigation, and calculate damage manually.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2016, 22:00
You can also remove damage pretty quickly by holding the CTRL key and using the mouse wheel to decrement the Wounds field in those situations.

Regards,
JPG

damned
June 28th, 2016, 05:34
Magnimost can you describe the effects that you think would be useful? Some specific detail would be good. No promises - just weighing up against the discussion Ian and I have been having.

CthulhuRol
January 10th, 2017, 21:57
Sorry Damned, I would like to continue with this discussion.

I`am thinking about effects or modifiers:

- Ranged weapons Rules that modifiy skill --> Range <= skill x1; point blank range = handguns 4”, rifles 8” x2 skill; extended range <= range x2 skill x1/2.
- Modifiers => big targets = +5 to skill; poor visibility = 1/2 skill (except point blank); partial cover – 1/2 skill.
- Weapon malfunction => repair = 1D6 rounds to fix,
- Prone Targets -> ranged weapons = skill x 1/2; melee = skill x2.
- Moving => may reload or shoot at 1/2 skill at full movement, or half-move and shoot at full skill.
- Fist Fighting = a character that reaches limit in HP is rendered unconscious or incapacitated for 2D6 minutes and the character is at half skills for 1D6 x 1/2 hours; damage reverts to half (roundup).

What do you think about these rules? Maybe could be complicate to improve it, but could be more easy to control some situations.
I Know that CoC is not a system based on combat, but combat against cultists or low level monters could be positive taking into account that they will be finish mad or dead at the end of the journey.

PD: sorry for my por english.

Valyar
September 26th, 2018, 07:27
Some necromancy from the newcomers in the world of Cthulhu:

I presume there are no effects implemented in the ruleset yet and if I am to use them, they will act as label with informational purposes?