PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Magical Item that casts a Power

Meliath1742
June 26th, 2016, 20:16
This one has me stumped at the moment mainly because I've never had to deal with it before. How do I create a magic item such as a potion or magical bracer that casts a power (i.e blast)? To be more specific the adventure Mouth of the Frothing Bear has a set of bracers that has the power 'blast" (alchemical) stored within it. Assume the character using it has no AB or skill for the power being cast by the magic item. Does the character have to be given the appropriate AB and skill to use the magic item's power? What's the best way to handle this?

Zacchaeus
June 26th, 2016, 21:49
I think you'd need to refer to the Arcane Background Weird Science rules to get a handle on what you would need to do. The Device would have it's own store of power points (depending on who invented it). Whether the character could use it would depend on his skills. If they don't have the skills to use blast then they would be using it unskilled etc.

I should say I've never used Powers in SW; I've only run more modern campaigns to date.

Meliath1742
June 26th, 2016, 21:55
I was thinking that Weird Science would be the best option also. I'll have to tinker with it a bit. Thanks!

Skellan
June 27th, 2016, 23:35
In the fantasy companion it suggests : Unless otherwise stated, magic items that cast powers have an arcane skill of d8 and 10 Power Points.

Hope that helps

Meliath1742
June 27th, 2016, 23:40
Ok, after further research it turns out Hellfrost has rules for alchemical devices (see Alchemy edge) like bracers that cast a Blast spell. They are always temporary magic items that like a Weird Science device, fall apart after they are used up. Anyone who picks one up immediately understands its power and how its used. It acts just like the normal power but doesn't risk backlash and it uses Shooting or Throwing for its ranged attack. So...create it as a thrown or ranged weapon with appropriate damage, determine its number of uses, and your good to go!

Skellan
June 27th, 2016, 23:43
Cool. Good to know

Meliath1742
June 27th, 2016, 23:51
Cool! It looks like it would also be an item that gets used up. I suppose you could allow a way of re-powering the device by someone who can cast the appropriate power (similar to D&D)