PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a small change or a big change?

ffujita
June 25th, 2016, 16:33
I play 5e Adventures League and so my characters are always moving from one GMs campaign to another.

I know, and use the Manage Characters system to export my server character, delete my old local character, and import the new character as local; the one that I just exported.

Trying to explain to others how to do this is doable, but not easy.

Would it be terribly difficult to put a blue import button on the PC window when you log in to someone's server, and a blue export button, like there is in the manage characters interface? It would seem to me that this would be the best place for it.

I understand that FG wasn't created with the idea that everyone would be taking their characters from server to server on a weekly/daily basis. But it would be quite helpful for those of us who do.

Thanks for listening.

dberkompas
June 25th, 2016, 17:02
Sounds like a great idea, because that's the whole idea for AL, right?

Boomer

Andraax
June 25th, 2016, 17:19
Your local characters don't show up as selectable when you log into a server for 5E? They do for Castles and Crusades...

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2016, 17:45
There is a blue import button when logging into someone else's server for any ruleset derived from CoreRPG, including 5E.

However, it might work slightly differently than you think.

Characters previously owned in any campaign can be viewed by using the Manage Characters option and selecting the campaign.
In the campaign Manage Characters view, you can export characters using the brown Edit button, then the blue Export button.
In any Manage Characters view (campaign or by game system), you can import a copy of a character into your local character vault for that game system.
When joining a game, the Character Selection window has an import button that allows you to view any character in your local character vault.

Basically, you have to export your latest version of your PC from the last game, and then import the PC into your local character vault. This is because the GM has the master copy of any campaign data, so the players can only update the data when they are on a live server. So, when you export from an existing campaign or import into your local character vault, you are making a snapshot copy.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
June 25th, 2016, 19:08
He knows this. He wants the import button on the PC window in a campaign, not the Manage Characters view.

To answer the question: big change.

Andraax
June 25th, 2016, 20:02
He knows this. He wants the import button on the PC window in a campaign, not the Manage Characters view.

To answer the question: big change.

Not really, since it's there already. "There is a blue import button when logging into someone else's server for any ruleset derived from CoreRPG, including 5E." You can't "manage characters" on someone else's server.

ffujita
June 25th, 2016, 21:44
Okay, it seems like such a little change from my non-programmer perspective, but I know that how it seems often how it is. When we get to the Unity thing, it'd be nice if the manage characters thing could be done while you were still connected to someone's server.

Nickademus
June 25th, 2016, 23:28
Not really, since it's there already. "There is a blue import button when logging into someone else's server for any ruleset derived from CoreRPG, including 5E." You can't "manage characters" on someone else's server.

Unless I misunderstand the process and what JPG is saying, this is irrelevant to the OP. The import button when logging into another server is there, but will not have the character to choose unless you first go to Manage Characters and do the export-from-campaign that JPG described. What ffujita wants, to my understanding, is for FG to automatically cycle through all campaigns in the Manage Characters and extract all characters when clicking the import button, making them available to be imported without having to go to Manage Characters each time.

ffujita
June 25th, 2016, 23:45
While that would be wonderful ... I was really asking to import a character from *.xml while connected to a server, and being able to export the current server character to *.xml. I figured it would indeed be a big deal to be able to cycle through other server snapshots while connected to a different server.

Nickademus
June 26th, 2016, 00:51
The import is already there. What you are wanting is for the player to be allowed to use the export button that is currently GM-only. You would have to designate a centralized location for the export since if it exported to the folder of the campaign you are in, FG would still have to cycle through campaign folders to find all the exported characters.

ffujita
June 26th, 2016, 04:03
You can import from your "local characters" that have been uploaded in the Manage Characters screen. You can't import from *.xml, unless you're the GM. The central location for export/imports is the Characters folder, which is campaign independent.