PDA

View Full Version : Advice for adventures/scenarios to pick up

NotRussellCrowe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:05
Hello. With this amazing Steam sale going on I'd like to pick up one or two CoC adventures. I haven't been a Keeper yet but I'd like to get into it, though I'm thinking of waiting for the full 7e ruleset to arrive before running any. Even without picking up the 6e ruleset I thought I would take advantage of this sale and pick up one or two adventures that would be a good fit for new Keepers and Investigators.

The ones I'm looking at are:

The House of R'lyeth
Fatal Experiments
Masks of Nyarlathotep
Canis Mysterium

I'm kind of leaning towards Masks of Nyarlathotep based on the description, seems like it's long but not epic, shows a few different locations, and does not say or seem like it's for experienced players only. House of R'lyeth sounds good too but seems longer and more advanced, again based on the descriptions in Steam and just how I am interpreting it.

So any thoughts anyone has about these adventures are greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for all your help!

Kelly

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:16
Masks is a long campaign. It's a classic, but I wouldn't recommend this as your first CoC scenario to run. Well worth picking up in the sale.

Look at the House of R'lyeh, Fatal Experiments, Canus Mysterium, any of the "Secrets" packs, a good one/two session scenario that comes with pre-gens and is a good introduction for both a CoC GM (Keeper) and players is "The Devil is in the Details".

I'd recommend The Devil is in the Details, Fatal Experiments or Secrets of San Francisco as good scenarios to pick up for good beginning Keeper/player scenarios.

ianmward
June 23rd, 2016, 23:19
Masks is definitely Epic, it usually takes about 22-25 sessions to play and is generally regarded as one of (if not the) best role playing campaigns ever!

I would not recommend until you have a lot of experience, though, as it requires keeping good track of a lot of NPCs, sub plots and timelines to make it shine. It's probably worth picking up now and working towards running later.

Ian

NotRussellCrowe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:28
Masks is a long campaign. It's a classic, but I wouldn't recommend this as your first CoC scenario to run. Well worth picking up in the sale.

Look at the House of R'lyeh, Fatal Experiments, Canus Mysterium, any of the "Secrets" packs, a good one/two session scenario that comes with pre-gens and is a good introduction for both a CoC GM (Keeper) and players is "The Devil is in the Details".

I'd recommend The Devil is in the Details, Fatal Experiments or Secrets of San Francisco as good scenarios to pick up for good beginning Keeper/player scenarios.

Fatal Experiments sounds good, three adventures and not expensive. Likely by the time I have learned CoC and run those three there will be another sale; likely a few sales will have passed by the time I'm done with it all. I like the sounds of Secrets of New York but it's not yet available on Steam.

Masks is definitely Epic, it usually takes about 22-25 sessions to play and is generally regarded as one of (if not the) best role playing campaigns ever!

I would not recommend until you have a lot of experience, though, as it requires keeping good track of a lot of NPCs, sub plots and timelines to make it shine. It's probably worth picking up now and working towards running later.

Ian

Okay yeah, that's a bit more than I had expected. More than I want to start with even and take on.

You both make Masks sound like a great adventure, just not for me at this point in time. Really glad I asked otherwise I would have likely picked it up and then become overwhelmed.

Thank you very much!

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:37
Fatal Experiments sounds good, three adventures and not expensive.
Two of them are aimed as beginning scenarios, so well worth picking up. Add in "The Devil is in the Details" - a bargain at $2.24. You'll then have 4 scenarios (3 good for beginners) for less than $10.

NotRussellCrowe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:42
Two of them are aimed as beginning scenarios, so well worth picking up. Add in "The Devil is in the Details" - a bargain at $2.24. You'll then have 4 scenarios (3 good for beginners) for less than $10.

If they are three smaller adventures that's more what I'm looking for, something I can run in a session or two (for each adventure), maybe multiple times with different people for the experience.

The Devil is in the Details does sound awesome, but I'm trying to stick with ones available on Steam. Not a fan of PayPal, though at this point I cannot remember why I hate PayPal, only that I do. Kind of like how I feel about Scott Stevens as a hockey player. For some reason I hate him, always have. No idea why. I think I'm too old to change. Go Leafs!

Thanks, Trenloe!!!!

damned
June 23rd, 2016, 23:42
All the 6e adventures will auto convert and work with 7e. Most things will work out of the box while some will need a little tweaking.
The 6e ruleset is only $11.50 on the sale so its not a bad purchase anyway.

NotRussellCrowe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:44
All the 6e adventures will auto convert and work with 7e. Most things will work out of the box while some will need a little tweaking.
The 6e ruleset is only $10 (maybe cheaper on the sale?) so its not a bad purchase anyway.

I'm tempted but my wife (who wants to play more CoC) and I don't really know either edition but would like to order the physical books for 7e when they become available. Not sure if I want to try and re-learn 7e after reading 6e.... I'm on the fence about this one. It's not so much about the cost (about $12 CDN) but I don't want her or I to get confused or anything.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:47
You get 4 scenarios with the CoC ruleset as well.

NotRussellCrowe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:50
You get 4 scenarios with the CoC ruleset as well.

I need to re-evaluate my feelings about buying the 6e ruleset....

ianmward
June 23rd, 2016, 23:52
6e to 7e changes some stuff but not everything the majority of the concepts and play is identical. It's quite easy to transition and as damned said the 6e adventures will just work with 7e when it's released.

NotRussellCrowe
June 23rd, 2016, 23:55
Trenloe and ianmward, you two are amazing. Thank you very much for all your help!!

MadBeardMan
June 24th, 2016, 20:35
Trenloe and ianmward, you two are amazing. Thank you very much for all your help!!

They are top chaps. I'd also say start with 6E, learn how FG works as CoC is more about the story than the rules. Plenty of adventures for 6e available, should be a few when 7e is released as well.

I love CoC and enjoy using FG to run it for our group.

Enjoy.

Colin

NotRussellCrowe
June 24th, 2016, 20:37
Thanks, Colin!!