PDA

View Full Version : Fiddly map scaling tied to map window size

Magnimost
June 23rd, 2016, 10:49
The map scaling in FG is tied to map window size, and is highly non-standard UI behavior. This makes resizing and navigating the map windows frankly a major PITA.

Is there a way to decouple the zoom level from the window size and aspect ratio?

damned
June 23rd, 2016, 15:13
No there is not. If you extrapolate out standard UI behaviour and think about how it will impact usability in FG I think you might find that while it irks you the method chosen is actually a better method.

If I have a map 2000px by 2000px and I want to show it at 1:1 or even zoom in on it, it will cover every other window element on 90% of GM and players computers. The map is important but now I cant see the Combat Tracker, the Chat Window, any of my Campaign tools etc.

ddavison
June 23rd, 2016, 15:19
The shortcuts to hold down CTRL while left-click dragging to expand or shrink the window size and the mouse-wheel up or down to zoom should help with navigation.

We do plan to look at allowing the window size to scale differently for maps that are not square in the future version of FG. The way it locks the max zoom now is a bit weird for rectangular images.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2016, 16:25
A tip (if you're not aware of them) is using the right-click menu resize options to help with quick sizing of an image - the resize horizontal and resize vertical are very useful tools in showing a fully zoomed out image at a certain size. Some info on that here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27467-Quick-Method-to-Fit-Map-to-Desktop&p=246768&viewfull=1#post246768

Magnimost
June 23rd, 2016, 19:36
I GM on a 4K monitor while my players don't, so my maps are rather huge, and I get complaints every time I open a map for them. The tips you gave work really well, and should at least lessen the whining :)

By the way, thanks for the UI scaling option to the devs, FG would be all but unusable on a 4K monitor without it! It took Adobe years to implement that in Photoshop, so you were ahead of them by months, if not years ;)

damned
June 23rd, 2016, 23:34
Magnimost - another thing I do before I share maps is set teh frame to (what I think is) a manageable size for my players. Im pretty sure that what ever window size you have in use when you share the first time is what they get too. So with a 4k monitor that would go doubly (or should that be quadruply?) so!