PDA

View Full Version : NPC tokens on map may give spoilers

Magnimost
June 23rd, 2016, 10:45
I placed some hidden NPC tokens on the map. When my players rolled dice, some of the rolls would look like they were done by the hidden NPC in chat log.

Below sample chat output. The lines in bold were rolled by players, but they showed up in the chat as NPC rolls (Sirrush is a hidden monster on the map).

Hugo Blomberg: [SKILL] Persuade (43%) [1d100 = 5]
Sirrush: [ABILITY] Luck Check (65%) [1d100 = 52]
Sirrush: [ABILITY] Sanity Check (67%) [1d100 = 10]
Evelyn Sweet: [1d10 = 9]

This had the very unfortunate result of spoiling that A. there's a hidden monster on that map and B. what type of monster it is. It happened also with another monster, but I had the foresight to name it "monster" so at least they didn't know what it was before reveal.

Relevant info may include that I incorrectly placed some of the tokens by dragging them directly from the NPC data sheet, rather than dragging first to combat tracker, and then to the map (very confusing UX, but that's another matter). I removed them from the map, and placed again correctly by dragging from combat tracker.

This didn't happen to every player, just some. I checked with the players, and although they saw the tokens appear and disappear when I fiddled with them, they didn't interact or target them, so that shouldn't be the issue.

We're using latest CoC ruleset if that makes a difference.

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2016, 11:10
I don't know CoC specifically but most rulesets have an option to Hide GM rolls from the players; Check out the wiki here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options).

Also NPCs should be hidden on the CT and map by default until you reveal them to the players. I suspect therefore that you didn't take the NPC from the npc dialog to the CT and then to the map.

Magnimost
June 23rd, 2016, 11:25
I don't know CoC specifically but most rulesets have an option to Hide GM rolls from the players; Check out the wiki here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Options).

Also NPCs should be hidden on the CT and map by default until you reveal them to the players. I suspect therefore that you didn't take the NPC from the npc dialog to the CT and then to the map.

The rolls shown in the chat log were all made by players. The player chat display name was changed to the monster name for the rolls.

You are correct on the second point.

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2016, 13:42
The only way I can think of that the players could have made an NPC roll is if the NPC had been shared with the players. It might be that by not placing the tokens correctly it confused FG but I've never heard of such shenanigans. If you can repeat the error you might want to report it in the CoC forum with the steps you took to repeat it and someone there might be able to diagnose the problem.

damned
June 23rd, 2016, 14:57
Nope. This is a bug in the CoC ruleset as identified by ianmward. A fix has been posted but it hasnt made its way into the live ruleset as yet. There is another thread on this.
It also affects Trail Of Cthulhu and we will push an update to that at the same time.

Magnimost
June 23rd, 2016, 15:11
Nope. This is a bug in the CoC ruleset as identified by ianmward. A fix has been posted but it hasnt made its way into the live ruleset as yet. There is another thread on this.
It also affects Trail Of Cthulhu and we will push an update to that at the same time.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2016, 16:04

This is why I should not get involved in posts like this :)

Nickademus
June 23rd, 2016, 18:57

lol, I second this (for myself), but no one can blame you for desiring to help.

damned
June 23rd, 2016, 23:36

lol, I second this (for myself), but no one can blame you for desiring to help.

hah! I do it all the time too :)