PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms Campaign (In the works)

Novalith
August 11th, 2005, 16:13
I kind of jumped in on someone elses topic and decided that was not a good thing so I am making my own.

I am trying to start a Forgotten Realms campaign. It is a bit slow starting up due to my own busy schedule and not being familiar with the software, but it seems to be coming along.

Times for playing have not been finalized yet. I have 2 people interested (Brother Adriac and Alwyn7) as of right now, and I would like 2-3 more. So far everyone is in EST, so the schedule will most likly revolve around that time zone.

Useable books are anything Forgotten Realms (I own them all) with anything outside of that needing approval. I have all the books but Eberron.

Drop a line here with question or comments.

- Novalith

Edit: Ramza0Tyr, I just caught your post, are you in as well?

MythioS
August 11th, 2005, 16:48
Id be interested in joining and ive got someone that msgd me through yahoo that maybe interested in aswell...

Ram Tyr
August 11th, 2005, 18:11
Edit: Ramza0Tyr, I just caught your post, are you in as well?

Yes, I am! My available times are in my signature. Converted they are:
Saturdays 7am EDT, US; and
Sundays 5pm EDT, US.

Saturday sessions, I am available for no more than four hours.
Sunday sessions, I am available for no more than five hours.

I could also likely swing Tuesdays 7-10pm EDT, US.

(EDT is EST when daylight savings is being observed. Amazingly, not all of EST observes daylight savings and since I got FG it has actually come up!)

Thanks everyone.
Ramza

Brother Adriac
August 11th, 2005, 19:14
Just to let everyone know, I am available to play Monday through Thursday evenings. Just let me know which day, and I can arrange my work schedule to have the entire night open.

Oh. and Tuesday would work fine with me.

BA

Novalith
August 12th, 2005, 03:59
Looks like Tuesday nights might be what we will end up with juding by the times I have been given so far. Still hopping for 1 or 2 more players, but 3 is not bad at all. Now for te REALLY good news. I may have my maps done sooner then I thought which will push up the campaign start date. If we do Tuesday evenings, lets set the start time to 7:30pm (or 1930 if you will). That will hopefully max the amount of time we can actually play.

BA and Ramza, what were you planning/hoping to play in he campaign? The only created character thus far is a fighter.

Novalith
August 12th, 2005, 04:01
Id be interested in joining and ive got someone that msgd me through yahoo that maybe interested in aswell...

Somehow I completly missed your post! Man am I off it tonight. What are your play times?

Brother Adriac
August 12th, 2005, 06:04
I'm leaning towards a Druid, or a Rogue/Sorcerer. I'm pretty flexible, though, and enjoy playing all classes. So, if someone is really set on a healer or rogue class, I'll happily play something else.

BA

Ram Tyr
August 12th, 2005, 12:34
Assuming that BA prefers the druid, I'll pick up the rogue character. I'm still new to 3.5, so I've been avoiding spell casters.

If we get more than four players, and one of the others wants the rogue character, I'ld probably trade it in if the party could use a second fighter or ranger type. (I say this assuming that everyone agrees that we want to cover the four traditional character types with the first four players.)

So, we have Tuesdays 7:30 -10 pm.
Fighter
Druid
Rogue

(In need of an Arcane caster type.)

Novalith, glad to hear that your making good progress on the campaign.

Cantstanzya
August 12th, 2005, 17:16
What edition ruleset is this?

Synn
August 13th, 2005, 01:01
Hiya...
I started a new thread before reading this one...I would be interested
in joining...Im a bit rusty on Forgortten Realms....but shouldnt be too bad. Please send me an Email if theres still space!!! [email protected] (or ill check here too)

Alwyn7
August 13th, 2005, 03:56
Seeing as you're definitely running Forgotten Realms, Novalith, are there any FR-specific sourcebook(s) that I definitely need? Or will the PHB 3.5 be sufficient to play?

Alwyn7

Novalith
August 13th, 2005, 07:56
So many questions...

I will be using the 3.5 ruleset.

I got a PM about unearthed arcana, and seeing as how we have some new(ish) blood I think we will let that one alone for now.

Synn, it looks like we will be playing at 730pm EST, which would be about 3 hours earlier then your looking for. If you can make that work then I'd love to have you.

Alwyn, no need to buy sourcebooks :). If when you right your character history you leave the town names blank and just give me descriptions (small town on the river, large city of dwarves) stuff like that, I am sure we can pick places which fit. If there is something I think your character should know based on experiences, I will provide you with that information.

Also, I am not sure what books people have, I do not want you to be at a disadvantage. I do not know that I can edit in every possible feat from all the books into FG. I keep forgetting this is not a session where everyone shows up at my house and I order pizza and we share books. I may be looking at setting up a character creation session where we can toss around ideas.

What are your feelings on this? Is it more fair to limit people to the basics or to let them play with whatever they have at their fingertips?

Ram Tyr
August 13th, 2005, 14:27
<SNIP>
I got a PM about unearthed arcana, and seeing as how we have some new(ish) blood I think we will let that one alone for now.

<SNIP>
Alwyn, no need to buy sourcebooks :). If when you right your character history you leave the town names blank and just give me descriptions (small town on the river, large city of dwarves) stuff like that, I am sure we can pick places which fit. If there is something I think your character should know based on experiences, I will provide you with that information.

Also, I am not sure what books people have, I do not want you to be at a disadvantage. I do not know that I can edit in every possible feat from all the books into FG. I keep forgetting this is not a session where everyone shows up at my house and I order pizza and we share books. I may be looking at setting up a character creation session where we can toss around ideas.

What are your feelings on this? Is it more fair to limit people to the basics or to let them play with whatever they have at their fingertips?

Character history sounds like a plan, with leaving blanks.

Assuming that I’m one of the new blood mentioned, I don’t mind if you use some variant rules from unearthed arcana. But its up to you, I’m not unhappy either way. (Some of the variant rules seem pretty popular.) I’m happy if the DM is happy and comfortable with the rules we’ll be using. Concerning source information, it’s weird when everyone brings different stuff to character creation. It’s probably a good idea if Novalith affirmatively bans anything he knows he would not include before anyone does anything. (Email/PM that to group.)

Then, anyone that would like to bring in additional information (that hasn’t been banned) can type out the description of the relevant race, class, or feat; and mention in which WotC source it is found. (Email/PM that to the group.)

At that point, Novalith could prepare the descriptions for any non core material that s/he would like included that nobody asked for. (That should be read as, “Anything the DM wants to use against the party.”) (Email/PM that to the group.)

A day or two after getting that last email/PM, we can discuss all of this at the character creation session Novalith proposed, though it probably is more like a “rules of the road” session if we go this route. Anything that gets accepted at that meeting can then be added to a document that includes the banned stuff, any other variant rules, etc., that you will be using. This will prevent the need for any modifications of the FG ruleset but still give us something to refer to. We’ll just email it to each other.

After these have been approved, then we can actually create characters.

That’s just one possible way to do things...but if allows everyone to access the same info and it prevents any need to tinker with FG. Anyway, that is just a suggestion, feel free to say "no way".

Ramza

Novalith
August 13th, 2005, 15:29
Well I am about to go to the campsite and clean the grill (I am cooking for the reunion, YEA). I think what I will do to save my fingers lots of trouble is just say for now we are sticking to the "Complete" line of books, 1 or 2 rules out of unearthed (nothing earth shattering though), and the Forgotten Realms books. I will add to that anythng that anyone else wants to use outside of that on a case-by-case basis.

The rule out of unearthed that I always take basically breaks down the class progression into decimals instead of numbers. Then rounds down. This prevents certain classes from having long lines of progression with no changes.

I will be providing everyone with Class/Prestige Class/Race/Feat/ and any other needed information from the FR books. If one of you would like to help me by taking the same informaiton from the complete books (or split among a couple of you if more of you have them) then I would appreciate it. If none of you have that I can provide that too.

Right now the campaign looks as follows:

Tuesdays 7:30 -10 pm. - No official start yet

Fighter - Alwyn
Druid - BA - Not quite set in stone...
Rogue - Ramza

Rules - 3. 5 Edition

Books
PHB
DMG
MM
MM2
MM3

FRCS
Champions of Ruin
City of Splendors: Waterdeep Lost Empires of Faerûn
Player's Guide to Faerûn
Serpent Kingdoms
Shining South
Unapproachable East
Underdark
Races of Faerûn - Sort of folded into PGtF but not really.
Faiths & Pantheons
Silver Marches
Lords of Darkness
Magic of Faerun

Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Warrior

Having listed all that out I realized how much I have.... this of course just scratches the surface :)

Alwyn7
August 13th, 2005, 16:41
Novalith,

I went in to FG to view my character...and realized I don't have a "local" copy. With your permission I'll recreate my character locally and flesh him out as much as possible. If there are any FR-specific skills or feats brought to bear by you, I'll wait to see what you have before finishing character creation. Sound good?

Alwyn7

Ram Tyr
August 13th, 2005, 17:26
Alwyn, can't you copy the file from the campaign folder and put it where you a local character would go? That should let you modify the character without having to re do what you've already done. I don't tend to play with the FG files, but I think that might be possible. You might check the "help" board to double check whether that's right.

Novalith, you have a bunch of books! lol.

Your plan is great. I'ld offer to provide some info, but I'm 0 for the entire list of Complete books.

Enjoy the reunion! Bring the extra chips to our first session! :P

Ramza

Novalith
August 13th, 2005, 18:06
Waiting for my brother to change his flat tire...

Anyways,

I saw in a thread elsewhere that you are not able to edit your character offline once it has been uploaded to a server.

If you want to recreate it locally go ahead. I am assuming it will upload once you connect to my server again.

Alwyn7
August 13th, 2005, 18:08
OK. I didn't know it, but I suspected it, as I was unable to make any changes to the local copy of my character that I had (very strange).

I'll recreate. BTW, I had rolled up this character with 4d6, drop the lowest die. Did we ever discuss a roll system that you preferred? If you're OK with this one, fine; if not, I'm happy to reroll as to your specs.

Novalith
August 13th, 2005, 18:12
I just decided.. is everyone up for a character creation session/FG familiarization session this tuesday?

Novalith
August 13th, 2005, 18:14
OK. I didn't know it, but I suspected it, as I was unable to make any changes to the local copy of my character that I had (very strange).

I'll recreate. BTW, I had rolled up this character with 4d6, drop the lowest die. Did we ever discuss a roll system that you preferred? If you're OK with this one, fine; if not, I'm happy to reroll as to your specs.

I dont think we did... and 4d6 drop lowest is what I have always used. I find 3d6 and keep to create a wide variety of characters... but I have always worked under the assumtion my players were HEROS not average.

Edit: Hit submit before I finished....

One of the other things I have done in the past is given a small bonus to a character if his scores were far below the party average if thats what he wanted. While I like having characters with strengths and weaknesses I cannot see how playing a char with a 6 and a 9 in his stat list would be very fun in the long run. Also it can become a strain to take keep that character alive, especially if those stats are Str and Con :).

Brother Adriac
August 15th, 2005, 16:42
I'm up for a Character Creation/Introduction session this Tuesday. I have a small Ventrilo server we can use if you want. I imagine it would speed some things up if we didn't have to type out everything.

BA

Alwyn7
August 15th, 2005, 20:16
Sorry, I only just checked the message boards today. Yes, I'm up for Tuesday night character creation.

Ram Tyr
August 15th, 2005, 20:39
I was holding off to see whether or not I could work this into my plans, since I hadn't been expecting us to start this week.

(I usually need to know about a session, or canceling a session, one week in advance.)

It looks possible, but not sure I'll be able to get back home in time tomorrow night. If everyone else posts sometime tonight and says it's a go, then I'll do my best.

Unless I'm the only person without all the relevant materials (in my case everything :) ), it might make sense to wait until the write up of the races/classes is done.

Are we expecting to start playing next week?

Later.
Ramza

Novalith
August 15th, 2005, 23:50
I don't think so. I still have quite a bit of work to do and am now officially waiting for my copy of the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas. That will save me about 700 years of work on the overland maps. I may have to tweak them, but I will not have to start from scratch.

I can hold a session for you Ramza if you do not make it tuesday. I am very flexable.

TS will work extremly well for getting the information on the feats and classes out to you all. I will attempt to at least put some stuff into FG though. Also there will be a bit of downloading as I have the D20 SRD Ruleset installed, found here (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=875)

You are not REQUIRED to buy it, but it would be nice since it costs next to nothing. You will also need the patches found here (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=910) if you buy it.

I will leave ther server up tonight (later around 9 or 10 o'clock) and all day tomorrow so that you can connect and get what you need.

Aladane
August 16th, 2005, 00:01
Can you use another player?

[email protected]

Novalith
August 16th, 2005, 00:35
Can you use another player?

[email protected]

If you can make it at the time listed above on a fairly regular basis... then yes.

MythioS
August 16th, 2005, 00:42
my play times are pretty much open

Novalith
August 16th, 2005, 01:54
my play times are pretty much open

Well if the time listed above works for you and you can be fairly regular about it, show up to the character creation session on Tuesday (same time as regular play time would be).

Aladane
August 16th, 2005, 03:38
Looks like we need a Wizzard.

Novalith
August 16th, 2005, 15:09
Right now the campaign looks as follows:

Tuesdays 7:30 - 10 pm (or later...). - No official Campaign start date yet. Character creation starting Tuesday, going all week if need be.

Fighter - Alwyn
Halfling Druid - BA - Now set in stone.
Rogue - Ramza
Human Wizard - Aladane

The following people have not stated 100% if they are playing or not will be on first come first serve for them:
MythioS and Friend - Not Confirmed
Cantstanzya - No information at all.
Vortex2099 - Message sent
Synn - Times not meshing I think... not likely

Rules - 3. 5 Edition

valhallan
August 16th, 2005, 15:20
Hey I'm pretty new to FG but love FR enough to jump right into a game if you guys are still open to another player. If another one would be too many I completely understand, I recently DMd a game with 7 of my closest buds at the same time and even with them being very attentive players it slowed combat down to a crawl. I can make the game time of Tuesday at 6:30 (for us midwesterners).

Anyway, if you need another guy I would love to play a Warlock from COmplete Arcane. But if not I'd be happy with a good old cleric.

Pm me if you have an open spot for character generation tonight.

Novalith
August 19th, 2005, 02:09
I will need all of you to create a character history and PM it to me by Monday. I like to encorporate histories into my campaign whenever possible, as well as give characters chances to work towards any goals they have.

If you don't think this can be done, tell me, perhaps we can work something out.

Alwyn7
August 19th, 2005, 02:12
you got it...although i need to research Rasheman in the Realms a bit. I may ask you a question or two before writing.

Alwyn7

Novalith
August 19th, 2005, 02:40
Questions? They cost 100gp each. Ask as many as you need :)

j/k

Ram Tyr
August 19th, 2005, 15:32
check your PMs Novalith. Let me know.

Take care.
Ramza

Vortex2099
August 22nd, 2005, 03:42
Hey Nova, sorry it took me so long to post, ive been out of town for about a week. Anyway id like to get set up if you still have a seat for me, ill pm you some info tomorrow about char

Novalith
August 23rd, 2005, 05:09
Ok, I have recieved tha backgrounds and have begun weaving a campaign that should give the characters what they desire most.

The final lineup consists of the following:

Ramza - Elf Rogue - Aoquin
Drackmire - Dwarf Barbarian - Marshal
Brother Adriac - Human Cleric - Esolan
Alwyn - Human Fighter - Gath
Aladane - Human Wizard.

The server will be up all day Tuesday for slight chracter modifications and our little playtesting session on that evening. Next Tuesday the we start in earnest.

The schedule for the forseeable future is as follows:

Aug 23 - Playtesting session
Aug 30 - First Session
Sept 6 - Day after labor day holiday, need input on if we are going to game (1 will not be able to attend already)
Sept 13 - Second or Third Session
Sept 20 - Third or Forth Gaming session.

As of right now I have absolutly no conflicts with this schedule. If any of you do please let me know.

For those of you who wanted to join but cannot, I wish you luck in finding games.

- Novalith

Alwyn7
August 23rd, 2005, 13:39
I can do any and all Tuesdays mentioned. I'd say DM's choice as to running a session short one player; I'm guessing the character would have to sit idle during such a sesssion? Nobody else can run a character for somebody else via this system, can they?

Anyway, looks good, and I'll be on tonight after 7, EST. And...thanks for going to the trouble, Novalith. I look forward to playing!

Brother Adriac
August 23rd, 2005, 14:12
Unfortunately, I just found out this weekend that I will be unable to attend on the 6th. It seems my Fantasy Football League is holding their live draft that evening. And, well, I'm sorry, but not even D&D take precedence of football :shock: :D

At least I don't feel too bad, since I'm not the only to be out.

Sorry again,

BA

Ram Tyr
August 23rd, 2005, 23:59
Novalith,

I need the alias or IP address. The old one you PM'd for the last time I connected doesn't work.

Ramza

Novalith
August 23rd, 2005, 23:59
I was under the impression that we would lose more then one player, and I knew I would be right. Thats fine, consider the 6th officially scrapped.

Aladane
August 24th, 2005, 00:05
:cry: I am having trouble logging on tonight, can you PM log onaddress please :cry:

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2005, 00:07
:cry: I am having trouble logging on tonight, can you PM log onaddress please :cry:

Me too! Novalith, I think you missed my message since my post probably went up while you were preparing your post.

Ramza

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 00:08
Yea I missed the message. Try now.

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2005, 00:11
Yea I missed the message. Try now.

The old address doesn't work. It probably changed. Need the new one. If it isn't a change of address, then something deeper is wrong.

(Unless I am doing something wrong while connecting, but there is so little to get wrong. I can't imagine it...famous last words. hehe)

Ramza

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 00:18
The address has not changed... give me about 5 mins and try again.

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 00:31
You still trying?

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2005, 00:32
You still trying?

Of course! lol. No go as of yet.

Ramza

:roll:

Aladane
August 24th, 2005, 00:34
[/quote]
Still trying with the same results

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 00:34
BA, can you get on AIM for me.... need a running dialog here...
Not sure what the heck is going on.

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 00:36
One is in.... found it, STUPID CHECK BOXES!

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2005, 00:37
One is in.... found it, STUPID CHECK BOXES!

Can you PM me the alias or address, please.

Ramza

Aladane
August 24th, 2005, 00:38
Now I am in...............big download.....you must have done a lot of prep....

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 00:42
Only 5 megs of images... That is odd that you are having to download anything large like that.

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2005, 00:43
Only 5 megs of images... That is odd that you are having to download anything large like that.

FG still isn't connecting for me with the old address.

Can you PM me the address in case I've got it wrong.

Thanks.

Ramza

Waves arms in the air...
like he just doesn't care...
Help me...
:lol:

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2005, 01:07
I'm going to assume that it's gotten quiet here because everyone else was able to login...and nobody is checking the forums.

I still can't get in using the old address in the PM. If anyone wants to PM me the one that is working in the next few minutes, I'll be sure to be copy and paste it into FG to see what's up. Otherwise, I guess I'll just give up if nobody posts anything in the next few minutes.

:x

Ramza

EDIT:
Thanks for the PM. FG isn't connecting. I just connected to someone yesterday, so this is weird. Maybe try an alias?

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 01:15
Not sure what is up with your connection, can you tell me how you are connected? Cable, DSL, Router, Dial up? Do you have some sort of chat program we can use?

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2005, 01:19
PM'd you about yahoo or msn chat. Let me know if you have either.

Oh. A broadband connection, not dialup.

Ramza

:D

Whatever you did....it worked...hehe

See you on the inside after the download...

Ramza

Novalith
August 24th, 2005, 22:23
Wont be able to leave the office this evening, and I forgot to leave the server up since I had to drag myself out the door at 0550 this morning. So we will not be able to play test this evening.

I apologize.

Novalith
August 28th, 2005, 19:06
I found the cause of our connection issues. Apparently my cable connection is fubar due to some faultyconnection somewhere. I have a tech scheduled to come out tuesday morning and look at it. It may be an issue in the house and it may be outside. We won't know until then. I will post the results Tuesday afternoon. Currently the session is still on as planned.

Alwyn7
August 28th, 2005, 21:42
A shame. Well, if it's a matter of waiting another week to start playing, it gives you that much more time as DM to prepare the campaign. No worries; still looking forward to playing.

Alwyn7

Aladane
August 29th, 2005, 00:49
Its understood that there will always be technical issues, do what you can we will understand just keep us posted.

Novalith
August 31st, 2005, 00:14
Well the cable guy did not make it into the house today due to communication issues. The connection has been behaving the last 2 days and everything seems ok. Unfortunatly that is the only good news.

1 week ago Monday I started a new job. While I expected it to be challenging, I did not expect to have to deal with the number of problems I have had there. Consequently, I have been leaving around 6am and returning after 8pm on most days, after 9 once or twice beyond that. The entire concept for the first 6 weeks or so is put together, characters, encounters and story. I have the overland map for the area we are in, but I do not have any locations done. I really only needed a town, a dungeon and an inn for the first session to go as far as I wanted it to.

We will be playing tonight, the IP has not changed and the server is going up soon as I am finished typing. We may be lacking visually because I am having such a hard time figureing out CC2, but I hope to be able to make up for that with content.

Hopefully after the 1 week break ( we will have next tuesday off) I will be back on track.

Just wanted you all to know where I stand right now.

Novalith
August 31st, 2005, 00:31
I hope its not going to do this again... keep trying and I will keep fiddling with stuff till I see ya get in.

Novalith
August 31st, 2005, 00:34
I think I am getting a new router, this one seems to be having issues with properly reporting connected users ip adddresses.

Aladane
August 31st, 2005, 00:36
Just to let you know I am trying to log on :oops:

Novalith
August 31st, 2005, 00:40
I did not change anything, so you should already have it... has it been downloading everytime you log in?

Aladane
August 31st, 2005, 00:45
d20srd download is quite large, looks like another 5 minutes until it is finished

Ram Tyr
September 13th, 2005, 23:23
Hey. I just wanted to be sure that the IP address hasn't changed.

Please post when you open up your host session.

Ramza

Aladane
September 13th, 2005, 23:58
Ready and waiting...................will keep trying to log in until posted otherwise.

Novalith
September 14th, 2005, 00:13
It is up.... not this again....

Aladane
September 14th, 2005, 00:17
You have not upgraded to version 1.05? Therefore cannot enter

Ram Tyr
September 14th, 2005, 00:19
Yea, now that you've opened the host, I got the same error about host needing to upgrade.

Novalith
September 14th, 2005, 00:19
Upgrade? Sigh... one sec

Novalith
September 14th, 2005, 00:23
Done

Ram Tyr
September 14th, 2005, 00:25
Nova,

check this thread.

https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1000

Ramza

Ram Tyr
September 20th, 2005, 23:42
Just tried the connect to the host...to no avail. Is it open Novalith?

Ramza

Novalith
September 20th, 2005, 23:49
I am going to have to close this campaign. I can see from the way things are going at work that things are going to get worse in terms of time and energy needed to continue this job, instead of better. I thank you all for the effort you have put into your characters and encourage you to use these characters and their backgrounds with other DM's. Once again I am sorry for not being able to continue but there is no way for me to be able to give you the game you as players deserve.

Aladane
September 20th, 2005, 23:51
maybe some other time, good luck in your job.

Ram Tyr
September 21st, 2005, 00:03
Well, it was great fun while it lasted...such a wonderful tavern...

If any of you other guys is going to begin a campaign, please let me know.

If anyone out there wants to run a campaign from 7pm - 10pm EST on Tuesdays, here is a ready made group of players all set to be picked up!

Later.
Ramza

Brother Adriac
September 21st, 2005, 00:57
I'm sorry to hear it, but these things happen. Try not to work too hard.

BA