PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to search for this one...a DM dice fudge extension?

nytemare3701
June 22nd, 2016, 06:17
Looking for something that will allow me to openly roll "fake" dice, that land on predetermined numbers. Sometimes in a game I feel it necessary to save a player's *** to preserve narrative flow, but shadow rolls are super suspicious.

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2016, 06:30
You can't force the dice to roll onto a specific number. The best you can do is replace the rolled number with a value entered before rolling. Here's an example for the 5E ruleset with an attack roll in this proof-of-concept extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28235-manual-entry-dice-dialog-box-possible&p=252683&viewfull=1#post252683

nytemare3701
June 22nd, 2016, 06:48
Dang. I was really hoping for a "Fudge" box to drop the die into in the modifiers thing, so I could just drop it in there, set a result, then toss it out like any other modified die.

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2016, 07:14
Even with the campaign option "Chat: Show GM rolls" set to on, the players don't see the actual 3D dice - they see shadow dice roll and only see the result of the roll in the chat window.

The extension linked above changes the result of the dice roll shown to the players. They won't know any different from a normal, un-fudged GM dice roll.

Tiqon
June 22nd, 2016, 14:25
One problem with the shadow dice in my opinion (I would like to turn it off completely), is when you have exploding dice (like in Rolemaster openended rolls and Savageworlds). Often my players in savage worlds will mutter "Oh crap..." when an attack or damage dice keeps rerolling. "Yeah, so he juuuust missed you...." This is of course an extreme example, in savage worlds we have bennies, but still.... I like to keep my players alive too....

nytemare3701
June 22nd, 2016, 22:50
I suppose I'm going to have to wait for that to hit 3.P, or do it myself. One of these days I need to read up on extension creation.

Nickademus
June 23rd, 2016, 19:04
I would love to get rid of the shadow dice.

Doswelk
June 23rd, 2016, 20:04
One problem with the shadow dice in my opinion (I would like to turn it off completely), is when you have exploding dice (like in Rolemaster openended rolls and Savageworlds). Often my players in savage worlds will mutter "Oh crap..." when an attack or damage dice keeps rerolling. "Yeah, so he juuuust missed you...." This is of course an extreme example, in savage worlds we have bennies, but still.... I like to keep my players alive too....
I know people "complain" about this one alot, but I have to admit I do not understand it, when I run a face-to-face game (usually at a Con these days) if I roll exploding dice the players know as I will roll and pick up the dice again and roll them again, so what's the real difference?

nytemare3701
June 25th, 2016, 02:57
I know people "complain" about this one alot, but I have to admit I do not understand it, when I run a face-to-face game (usually at a Con these days) if I roll exploding dice the players know as I will roll and pick up the dice again and roll them again, so what's the real difference?

On FG you can do plenty of things that aren't possible IRL. I could never feasibly fit 50 books behind my DM screen, and IRL if I pull out a particular book the players have to actively prevent themselves from metagaming. Here it's totally natural.