PDA

View Full Version : Checking a Module for Correct Referencing & Other "Quality" Checks

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2016, 03:19
So, with my Under Mountain module, I've got hundreds of entries (stories, encounters, npc, etc). And one of the concerns I've got is if I've properly used npc's in my encounters and items in my parcels using best practices. Is there some way I can check this programatically?

For reference, my understanding is that npc's should be dragged to the campaign NPC list from their source (MM, SRD, etc) and then added to the encounters from there. Similar process for items. This way (if I understand correctly) the campaign can be exported to a module that does not require any other sources (i.e. the MM, DMG, etc).

Thanks in advance

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2016, 09:27
First question - not that I know off; you just need to be vigilant.

Second Question - Yes you should be able to export and you won't need any other module - unless you have made direct links to the MM or PHB etc within say a story entry or some such.

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2016, 20:53
Thanks Zacchaeus.

Maybe I could do a search in NPP in the xml files for a specific string? Taking a quick look at my db.xml I find this;

<npclist>
<id-00001>
<count type="number">1</count>
<link type="windowreference">
<class>npc</class>
<recordname>reference.npcdata.huntershark@DD MM Monster Manual</recordname>

Maybe a search for "@DD MM" would give me a list of un-desirable references? I don't know what this string really does, but I'm guessing it's linking to the MM, but maybe since this is in the NPC list that is desirable?

I haven't had any problem exporting from my development campaign to be used in a module for other campaigns. I'm just not sure if their are other quality or best practices I should check for? On that note, I've read the very old guidelines for creating an AaW module, but does anyone have anything more recent on best practices?

Nickademus
June 22nd, 2016, 21:46
If it really bothers you, try to use templates and copy/paste material as much as possible. This will cut down on the text errors.

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2016, 21:48
Yes, that is direct link to the MM. The story or whatever entry that's linked to will export. When you open the module the link will work provided that the MM is also open.
If, however you have an npc in the NPCs tab then that will export with no links.

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2016, 00:55
If it really bothers you, try to use templates and copy/paste material as much as possible. This will cut down on the text errors.
It matters because I hope to publish this. I'm not par5e'ing this as it is something I'm creating. And, It's something I did a lot of work on before I knew the implications :)

Yes, that is direct link to the MM. The story or whatever entry that's linked to will export. When you open the module the link will work provided that the MM is also open.
If, however you have an npc in the NPCs tab then that will export with no links.

Ok, thought so. I'll have to figure out a way to fix that. Given the other approaches to published modules (that they are all self contained and require no other purchased products), I want the same approach :)

Thanks, maybe I can do a find/replace once I figure it out...