PDA

View Full Version : Erroneous calculation...

Trancekat
June 21st, 2016, 21:42
Hi all,
5e rules:
I'm seeing an oddity in the automagic calculation for save DC and to hit DC for spells. A character with a 20 Charisma at level 11 (+4 prof bonus) should have a spell save DC of 8+Prof(4)+Ability Mod (5) = 17, but I am not seeing that ability mod get added into the calculation. Here are the screen caps of what I'm talking about. Anyone know how to fix this without having to manually change each entry please?

Thank you.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2016, 21:55
It's calculating it correctly for me; given the parameters that you have set.

I suspect that you didn't make your Bard using Drag and drop. To correct the problem change the Attack and Save DCs to Cha in the spells power group.

By not using Drag and Drop FG doesn't know that you have a Bard and so doesn't know what ability to use for the attack and save DCs

Trancekat
June 21st, 2016, 22:58
It's calculating it correctly for me; given the parameters that you have set.

I suspect that you didn't make your Bard using Drag and drop. To correct the problem change the Attack and Save DCs to Cha in the spells power group.

Oh, I'm far too lazy to write all that. It was all drag/dropped.

By not using Drag and Drop FG doesn't know that you have a Bard and so doesn't know what ability to use for the attack and save DCs

This is also the case for the sorcerer spells.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2016, 23:05
Hmm, OK. Are you using any extensions? What happens if you create a character in a new campaign without extensions? If you export the character and import into a new campaign does that fix the problem?

Edit: and did changing the attack and save DC in the power group change anything?

Trancekat
June 21st, 2016, 23:15
Hmm, OK. Are you using any extensions? What happens if you create a character in a new campaign without extensions? If you export the character and import into a new campaign does that fix the problem?

I made this toon in Manage Characters. Imported into a campaign and still the issue persists. Do I still have to export my characters and then import them into manage characters to be able to play them as a player on another player's server?

Basically, is the "Manage Characters" portion of the tool use-able please?

Thank you for your help.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2016, 23:22
Yes it is very useable. One other thing what is the source you are using for the spells. Looking at you screen shot they are noted as Spells (bard) which I don't recognise.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2016, 23:37
Never-mind, I see where the Spells (Bard) comes from. I added a spell to the actions tab before I added the Bard class and becasue there was a spell already there it added Spells (bard) to the actions tab.

So this possibly suggests that you have created a character or started creating one of a different class possibly and then changed it to Bard?

What happens if you start a new clean character, drag in the Bard Class. Change the Cha to 20 and then drag in a spell into the actions tab?

TheGarvster
June 25th, 2016, 20:46
Not sure if this will help but in your picture the spell save for Dissonant Whispers is for wisdom not charisma.

Zacchaeus
June 25th, 2016, 21:36
Not sure if this will help but in your picture the spell save for Dissonant Whispers is for wisdom not charisma.

It's the DC he's talking about. Dissonant whispers is a Wisdom save but the DC should be 17 (based on the character whose casing the spell's Charisma score).

TheGarvster
June 25th, 2016, 22:21
Sorry about that. When I looked at the image for some reason I thought the save ability was the casting ability.