PDA

View Full Version : New User... question on usefulness!

Leonides02
August 9th, 2005, 23:06
Hey guys. Just bought the full version. I use Burning Wheel in my game, but it's going to take me a while to create a rule mod for FG. I'm not going to switch to d20 in the meanwhile, so I was wondering what your opinions would be on the usefulness of FG (as opposed to AIM chat, which is what we use now) for online games without using the rules.

richvalle
August 10th, 2005, 04:52
Hey guys. Just bought the full version. I use Burning Wheel in my game, but it's going to take me a while to create a rule mod for FG. I'm not going to switch to d20 in the meanwhile, so I was wondering what your opinions would be on the usefulness of FG (as opposed to AIM chat, which is what we use now) for online games without using the rules.

Hi and welcome!

First, I've never played using Aim Chat.

I do think FG would be a better gaming experiance over a plain chat program as it is MADE for gaming. You get the dice, the ability to show maps and the chat function. Besides just showing maps you can show images of what ever. All the above are not tied to a rule set either.

Hope it works out for you.

rv

gurney9999
August 10th, 2005, 15:26
I'm not familiar with burning wheel, but you can set up your quickslots to give your dice rolls specific names that relate to your gaming sytem (if these dice can be used with your system).

Leonides02
August 11th, 2005, 00:02
Really? That's cool! How do I do that? Is it in the manual?

Synn
August 23rd, 2005, 15:17
Just in case you are still looking, It talks about it a little bit in the manual, but on the command line, type : /die (die to use + modifiers) (text)
so, if you have a +1 to hit with a longsword, you can type:
/die 1d20+1 LongSword, Drag that to you quickslots a hit the corresponding number key

Snikle
August 23rd, 2005, 16:38
This is a great feature for players, I have shown a few of my players this and how they can create the quickslots for ability checks, saving throws, attack rolls with special weapons, and all have expressed how great that will be in the game. One player mentioned how he could put his favorite catch phrase in there (so as to annoy the rest of us!), all in all, a very useful feature.